Author Topic: LED Side Lights On GTi?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Dogbucket

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf R32 / TVR Chimaera 450
Re: LED Side Lights On GTi?
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2007, 16:57 »
tbh unless you can solder I am not sure my resistor mod will be much good to you, as it will be necessary to solder some wire 'tails' to them so they can be scotch locked in parallel with the bulb holder.

If the above sentence made no sense to you then you might want to consider giving the whole thing a miss.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2007, 09:14 »
The standard sides are usless and 6 LEDs are so much better - in fact in the summer you only need the head lights in bad weather or very late at night.

Erm, it is actually a legal requirement to use dipped headlights in bad weather, day or night.  It is also a legal requirement to use dipped headlights during the dark, everywhere except when in a built up area (ie, a 30mph limit).

Common sense, and the saftey of other road users, should mean that side lights are ONLY used as parking lamps.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2007, 10:04 »
On my recent European road trip I noticed that a couple of Mk5 GTI's on the autobahns, in bright sunny conditions, were using sidelights+fogs as 'daylight running lights' (drl's) and so I did the same. If you are travelling at a significantly faster speed than other traffic you need to be seen. Also you need to see those big RS4 Avants, Porsches etc bearing down on you fast when you are doing 130 mph! The new Audis, especially the A5 series, have fabulous LED drl's.

People in the UK seems to generally be against LED drl's but I see them as an excellent safety feature and they allow you to better judge the scale and therefore speed of the car in your rear view mirror because there is far less dazzle.

I spoke to Hella not that long ago because they produce an aftermarket replacement drl which fits the ordinairy Mk5 Golf's fogs position. But they don't fit the GTI - Duh! It's the faster Golfs that need them more!
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2