Author Topic: Vag com run while driving  (Read 2115 times)

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Vag com run while driving
« on: 19 October 2011, 20:23 »
Mate of mine has vagcom that he uses for his LCR, he can only do basic stuff with it and mentioned that you can get a like a full diagnostic check of the engine while running the car. I think something like ragging it in every gear til the vagcom can collect loads of data and then the feedback/graphs/stats will give you an idea of how your engine is running? Am I wrong? If not how do you do it?

Cheers

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Vag com run while driving
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2011, 20:30 »
You're not wrong

Depending on your engine code you can log multiple blocks such as Boost, MAF, fueling etc etc  :nerd:

Common practice is to stick the car in 3rd gear and plant it from approx 1500rpm to the red line.  Repeat at least 4 times to help build up an accurate picture

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2011, 20:54 »
Got ya. I'm rocking the 150PD engine ARL engine code. Top of your head can you run multiple blocks?

Could you explain or know of a guide that can help me do this? Would like to find out how well she's running!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2011, 20:59 »
Got ya. I'm rocking the 150PD engine ARL engine code. Top of your head can you run multiple blocks?

Could you explain or know of a guide that can help me do this? Would like to find out how well she's running!

Yeah you can run quite a few at a time but the more you run the less data you collect especially on the TDI's as they don't refresh the data quite as quickly as the petrol engines for whatever reason  :undecided:

For your engine you want blocks 002 or 003 (MAF) and urm 10 or 11 off the top of my head for boost

Easiest way is to load it up and cycle through the blocks until you find what you want  :smiley:  Trial and error is the best way here.  If you were local I'd show you how

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2011, 21:04 »
Ok, so load it up, plug it in. Start driving and then open up the different blocks (all numbered and named differently from 1-x right?) then run the scan on the individual block?

Will defo try out those 4 you mentioned. Are there any specific scans I should do on the engine to find out how its running, ie boost/maf etc?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2011, 21:10 »
Ok, so load it up, plug it in. Start driving and then open up the different blocks (all numbered and named differently from 1-x right?) then run the scan on the individual block?

Will defo try out those 4 you mentioned. Are there any specific scans I should do on the engine to find out how its running, ie boost/maf etc?

Load it up, turn on the engine, select the measuring blocks and then go for a drive

Its only 2 blocks! i just can't remember the exact ones  :grin: :grin:  There's loads of others but your MAF and Boost are the important ones at this point in time  :wink:

You scan the ECU and not the blocks; you measure them when you drive.  VAGCOM will dump all the data into an excel spreadsheet (providing you've clicked the button to start the logging  :wink:)  Don't forget to save it when you've finished  :tongue:

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2011, 21:21 »
Really appreciate this mate, got a week of so I'll go hijack my mates laptop and get the data and see what you guys think of it! Cheers mate!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2011, 21:27 »
Really appreciate this mate, got a week of so I'll go hijack my mates laptop and get the data and see what you guys think of it! Cheers mate!

No worries  :smiley:  Like I said, if you were closer I'd show you how.  Always welcome to make the trip to South Wales  :grin: :grin: