Author Topic: Black Or Diamond Cut Estoril Alloys, Which Would You Choose?  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
I have just noticed on The VW Configurator that you can choose either Diamond Cut or Black Estoril 19" Alloys if configuring a Golf R.  With this in mind, If you were to configure a Performance Golf with Estoril alloys, which would you choose, Diamond Cut or Black Estorils?

Although I have experienced the obvious White Worm issues in the past with Diamond Cut Alloys and would prefer a painted/powder coated wheel, I am unsure if in my case a Black Estoril would go with many car paint colours, and as a result whether the Diamond Cut would suit the appearance of most Performance Golfs more? 

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
I spec'd the black Estorils on my Moonstone Grey Clubsport. Depends on the colour of the car you go for and personal taste...
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Black wheels look great in the showroom (with certain colours). But look a bit sh1t after that most of the time. They show up every mark, every spec of dust and to my eyes make the wheels look smaller.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
You don't get white worm with black but they do show all of the dust and dirt plus the detail of the wheel is largely lost, you just get black round shapes in the arches.

They also look more gangster, whether thats for you, hard to say.

If you are leasing/not keeping, sod the white worm?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
I’m not a huge fan of black alloys, but I’d always choose black over diamond cut as I dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion;

• poor durability and susceptible to white worm, especially if used on cars during the winter months 
  • more expensive to refurbish than painted / powder coated alloys
  • easily damaged by careless or inexperienced tyre fitters

Agree, they’d look better with some paint colours than others. Are the all-black Estorils gloss or satin black?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
On looking at some Google Images it appears the Black Estorils might be Gloss Black. 

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
You don't get white worm with black but they do show all of the dust and dirt plus the detail of the wheel is largely lost, you just get black round shapes in the arches.

They also look more gangster, whether thats for you, hard to say.

If you are leasing/not keeping, sod the white worm?

I will be buying the car and keeping for a good few years.  So would want a wheel which would look good and last the duration of my ownership.  I am also tempted by a Lapiz Blue Golf R at present, so wondering whether to go with the Diamond Cut or not?  I currently have Pretorias on my MK7 Golf R and have to say the ease of refurb on a wheel which is not Diamond Cut is a blessing.  If Pretorias were an option still on a new MK8 Golf I would go for them hands down. 

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
I reckon the diamond cut finish will look better, but it depends on a few things;-

How long you're keeping the car.
How precious you are about avoiding kerbs
Whether you take the wheels off in the winter to run winter wheels. This should keep diamond cut wheels safe from salt on the roads.
What colour car you're getting. Black wheels look decent against white bodywork, but not so great against black bodywork.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
With lapiz I'd go with the diamond ones. Sure they may get messed up over time but just consider that as part of the cost of ownership. I'd not pick black.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
A lot of German on the GTI forum run the standard diamond cut 18“ on there GTI MkVII in Winter as winter set. So, as long as you keep them protected with good alloy wheels sealant product and clean them often they will be fine.
The original alloys from VW are good Quality product
My advice, If you are keeping the car for long period better make sure you buy exactly what you want otherwise you will by it twice.
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.