Author Topic: Maybe the future isn’t just R badged...  (Read 2390 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Maybe the future isn’t just R badged...
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2021, 07:54 »
None of the VW electric offerings are particularly nice to look at. The new Hyundai ioniq 5 is where I'd be going if I was in the market for a fully Electric car  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2021, 07:55 »
Should have done an ID3 GTX.  I was tempted to go electric this time around, but the ID3 just isn't very nice.

In what way? Interior or exterior? Interior there's no denying they've got for the minimalist (cheap) route. It's loaded with tech, but they've spent f**k all on the seats and door cards. To be fair, it's GTD quick but not made as a performance car with the sports seats we've all been used to in performance VWs. Outside its average inoffensive VW (the oddest thing being th black hump between the bonnet end and the windscreen - pedestrian safety apparently). The MK8 Golf hasn't grown on me either, still think it's got a horrible front end.

I'm waiting on the delivery of an ID3. If I'd been comparing it to a GTI/R, I'd be disappointed, but it's not. It's a reasonably quick family car which is set up for comfortable touring rather than flinging it about. If you want a hot hatch, the ID3 isn't it. It is huge inside though - amazing how much extra interior room a Golf could fit in if it didn't need a transmission tunnel, chunky central console or fat door cards.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2021, 07:58 »
None of the VW electric offerings are particularly nice to look at. The new Hyundai ioniq 5 is where I'd be going if I was in the market for a fully Electric car  :whistle:

You'd be surprised how big that Ioniq 5 is. It may have hatchback proportions, but it's a monster. It's almost 2 feet longer than the ID3, so proportion that out for width and height, you've got a Range Rover sized car masquerading as a Golf hatchback. I suppose it is to the Golf what the "FAT 500" is to the regular Fiat 500.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2021, 08:04 »
I think the hot hatch new sales will die a death pretty  soon. EVeconomy (miles per kWh) fall off a cliff as you go over 70. Not a bother charging at home on a 5p/kWh overnight tariff, but charging out and about you'll be paying petrol prices per mile and longer journey range will be sh!te doing 80 everywhere.

Not only that, so many people under 25 now have no interest in cars - purely a tool to get from A to B for them. You've got all that remote governing crap coming in too. Very soon you'll have very little driver input or the ability to really put your foot down.

Sad times ahead!  Buy your future classic now.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2021, 08:07 by monkeyhanger »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 29 April 2021, 08:57 »
Yes I think you are right Monkey...

Things are moving quickly and the only commonality between a BEV and a ICE car is that its transport.

And the speed restrictor, which nobody seems to bite on when I say its weeks away, will be the final nail in the coffin for performance ICE. Despite everyone talking about how they don't speed and drive sensibly on the road, you are about to find out that its not actually true...

Plus given a little time whether your car has a speed restrictor or not, you will be going at the speed limit because enough of other road users will be so you have no choice.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2021, 09:13 »
EVeconomy (miles per kWh) fall off a cliff as you go over 70.

BTW this is true for ICE too.... its because drag is an exponential curve.

There is a reason why during the Arab oil crisis of the 20th century that the USA introduced a 56mph speed limit and why commercial vehicles even now are speed restricted to 56mph.

I used to note how 75mph on the motorway in my GTD was significantly worse than 67mph in terms of fuel economy. The latter could deliver almost 60mpg, the former maybe 48mpg. That's a 20% saving. from a 10% speed reduction.

My journey of 100 miles in theory takes a few more minutes too. Slightly higher motorway speeds really don't offer a lot of time gain unless you are seriously stepping on it. The non-motorway parts of the journey are likely to be more variable and could easily with a roll of the dice offset your full afterburner run down the motorway.

And I've done this a lot.... and experimented a lot.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2021, 09:16 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 29 April 2021, 09:37 »
Should have done an ID3 GTX.  I was tempted to go electric this time around, but the ID3 just isn't very nice.

In what way? Interior or exterior? Interior there's no denying they've got for the minimalist (cheap) route. It's loaded with tech, but they've spent f**k all on the seats and door cards. To be fair, it's GTD quick but not made as a performance car with the sports seats we've all been used to in performance VWs. Outside its average inoffensive VW (the oddest thing being th black hump between the bonnet end and the windscreen - pedestrian safety apparently). The MK8 Golf hasn't grown on me either, still think it's got a horrible front end.

I'm waiting on the delivery of an ID3. If I'd been comparing it to a GTI/R, I'd be disappointed, but it's not. It's a reasonably quick family car which is set up for comfortable touring rather than flinging it about. If you want a hot hatch, the ID3 isn't it. It is huge inside though - amazing how much extra interior room a Golf could fit in if it didn't need a transmission tunnel, chunky central console or fat door cards.

I think you’ve  summed it up.  Lacking a bit of quality in the finish, and could do with an aggressive styled version like a GTI.  It’s possibly punchy enough to just need a styling pack.  The basic Golfs always look terrible to me as well.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 29 April 2021, 09:50 »
I had an ID3 out a few months ago for a couple of days extended test drive. I was really impressed with a lot of aspects of it. Really nice to drive, punchy enough, refined (obviously). I quite liked the exterior looks for most part and the tech was very good. The headlights (IQ Lights) were definitely the best performing headlights I've ever witnessed in any car.

What made me stall on it was the interior. I struggled a bit with the seats lack of support, I felt too perched up, like in a van, no matter how I adjusted the seat, it was not comfortable. And the dashboard... my Dad's Caddy van has a better finished dash. I felt that would annoy the hell out of me once the new car sheen wore off. I know the MK8 Golf is getting a lot of criticism for interior quality but the ID3 is leagues behind that again imo. I could probably forgive the dash if that was the only problem - as to be honest, soft touch plastics are very over-stated in their importance. If the car is otherwise nice and fun to drive, you soon forget about the plastics. But I couldn't get past the uncomfortable seats.

I'd definitely consider one again though in future, if they iron out those annoyances.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2021, 09:53 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 29 April 2021, 09:57 »
Seats, seats, seats!

My biggest bug bear in ANY car.

I want to sit IN not ON a seat. I don't mean buckets, I do mean something which supports me.

Its absolutely vital on a car for me - hell I even subjected myself to Mk8 Golf abuse to avoid the seats in the 128ti!

The Mk8 GTD/GTI/clubby/R seats are really good, really comfortable - just as the Mk7 ones were only maybe even slightly better.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 29 April 2021, 16:56 »
EVeconomy (miles per kWh) fall off a cliff as you go over 70.

BTW this is true for ICE too.... its because drag is an exponential curve.

There is a reason why during the Arab oil crisis of the 20th century that the USA introduced a 56mph speed limit and why commercial vehicles even now are speed restricted to 56mph.

I used to note how 75mph on the motorway in my GTD was significantly worse than 67mph in terms of fuel economy. The latter could deliver almost 60mpg, the former maybe 48mpg. That's a 20% saving. from a 10% speed reduction.

My journey of 100 miles in theory takes a few more minutes too. Slightly higher motorway speeds really don't offer a lot of time gain unless you are seriously stepping on it. The non-motorway parts of the journey are likely to be more variable and could easily with a roll of the dice offset your full afterburner run down the motorway.

And I've done this a lot.... and experimented a lot.

The main difference is, most of us have bought GTDs/GTIs/Rs with a bigger interesr In what mpg is sat at 80mph. I suppose in my ID3, when I get on Octopus GO and am paying 1.5p a mile at 70mph, I'm not going to be bothered if I'm paying 2p a mile because I'm doing 80mph. It's going to matter when I'm doing journeys long enough to maybe need to stop and fast charge on the way home. If I can get all the way home without stopping to charge if I do 70mph rather than 80mph, there's nothing to be gained in doing 80 and stopping for 15-30 mins. For me it'll be a convenience in not stopping that'll drive me to religiously stick to 70 on a borderline range journey.

I'll have that dilemma on pick-up. 240 miles on a theoretical 263 mile range - if the dealership charge the car to 100% rather than 80%. If I were to trundle on at 60mph I'll almost certainly make it home, if I do 70 it'll be touch and go, if I do 80, I'll definitely need to stop.