Author Topic: Suspension Issue - Brand new Golf MK8 Clubsport  (Read 3204 times)

Offline scMK8Clubsport

• Not said much yet
Suspension Issue - Brand new Golf MK8 Clubsport
« on: 25 April 2021, 19:06 »
Having taken delivery of a new Golf MK8 Clubsport on Friday, I'm a bit miffed that there appears to be a suspension issue.

There is literally zero suspension travel on the front off-side corner. Attempting to absorb even the smallest of pot holes on our 'great' roads results in the car crashing over it with a level of severity that is just ridiculous.

Repeating this process with the nearside does not have the same effect and instead the bump is absorbed as you'd expect.

I'm finding it hard to believe the car would leave the factory like this, is there any possibility that something could have been left in place whilst it was in transit and missed during the PDI?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as it's somewhat detracting from the joy of new car ownership.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Suspension Issue - Brand new Golf MK8 Clubsport
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2021, 19:16 »
Maybe they forgot to remove the pucks from the suspension on that corner? Does it look like it’s sitting higher on that side? Have a look in under the arch and see if you can spot any plastic “puck” in the coil springs. It should be obvious if it’s there.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2021, 19:24 »
Sounds a dead cert that it’s a suspension transit puck on the strut, agreed with Joe there.

Welcome btw and I hope your issue is quickly fixed so you can tell us a bit more about your car and how you’re generally getting on with it  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline scMK8Clubsport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2021, 19:32 »
Thanks both, I'd assumed the same but can't see anything that shouldn't be there.

Do you know if it's possible for one to be at the very top of the damper where it wouldn't be soo obvious?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2021, 19:59 »
Thanks both, I'd assumed the same but can't see anything that shouldn't be there.

Do you know if it's possible for one to be at the very top of the damper where it wouldn't be soo obvious?

On the ml7 Golf, the transit pucks were fitted at the top of the shock absorber under the rubber sleeve. You can see the location on the mk7 Golf in the picture in reply #23 in the discussion thread at the link below;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=259329.20

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2021, 06:38 »
Happened to my 2013 GTD. The pucks are (or were) pink or blue (depending on thickness) and look like a plastic Pac Man. Jack the affected corner up (so the wheel is hanging on its own weight. Slip the rubber sheath up the suspension strut and feel up . Hopefully there's nothing there to the white plastic bump stop. If there is, removed the puck and get your car booked in for a new suspension top mount bearing as the puck will have smashed it up.

FYI, there are no pucks on the rear suspension.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2021, 07:54 »
How is this still happening nearly a decade on ????
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2021, 10:42 »
How is this still happening nearly a decade on ????

Last time they blamed it on Wolfsburg changing the number of pucks (1 extra) without telling the dealerships. They were expecting (and removing) 3 per strut leaving the surprise 4th one in place. I got a VW Motorsport Golf umbrella for my troubles (still going strong).

Maybe VW changed the number of pucks again?

Offline scMK8Clubsport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2021, 12:37 »
Following a horrible drive back to the dealership this morning......there were x2 'pucks' still on the shaft of the shock absorber.

The manager was amazed at how this could have happened. I got a free tank of fuel and many apologies.

The strange thing being that the person who did the PDI had removed all three from the passenger side and only one from the drivers side.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2021, 12:45 »
Following a horrible drive back to the dealership this morning......there were x2 'pucks' still on the shaft of the shock absorber.

The manager was amazed at how this could have happened. I got a free tank of fuel and many apologies.

The strange thing being that the person who did the PDI had removed all three from the passenger side and only one from the drivers side.

I would still get that top mount bearing changed - it will have taken a battering.