Author Topic: R reviews  (Read 13854 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: R reviews
« Reply #80 on: 29 April 2021, 23:04 »
We don't talk about lime yellow metallic  :sick:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #81 on: 30 April 2021, 07:05 »
We don't talk about lime yellow metallic  :sick:
Haha  :laugh: I like it actually No criminal will care to steal your GTI in that colour
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #82 on: 30 April 2021, 10:32 »
I agree actually.

I moaned about the poor choice of colours for UK mk7's... And it's only got worse.

Mind you, at least now Germany is in line, on the mk7 they had dozens more colours plus pick your own. Now it's identical.

I also don't like KR much either. It's gone from tornado, a classic gti colour, to metallic red like a Peugeot... And then charge you top whack for it....as opposed to tornado red being dirt cheap on the mk7.

I just keep imagining the Renault kadjar when KR is talked about. I have seen a couple of youtube videos and in certain light KR looks good in my book.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #83 on: 02 May 2021, 17:08 »
I saw my first R in the real world earlier. Looked very nice i thought even though it was black.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #84 on: 02 May 2021, 18:39 »
Harry Garage Mk8 R review, a narrowly mixed response?

Old man confronts modern technology and loses! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-n84SE448k

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #85 on: 03 May 2021, 04:05 »
Harry Garage Mk8 R review, a narrowly mixed response?

Old man confronts modern technology and loses! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-n84SE448k

That's a good review.  He makes many intelligent and valid points.  And his judgement clearly isn't questionable, unlike some "reviewers".
« Last Edit: 03 May 2021, 04:09 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #86 on: 03 May 2021, 10:38 »
It did sound like a more technophobic James may lol.

He obviously wasn't a golf user as much of the things he failed to understand were mk7 technology and terminology. He didn't delve into any of the mk8 clever bits really.

One thing he did say is that the car is just meh and totally tame until you hammer it. Now I think that about my gti. It's just pootling along doing nothing special, behaving like a one litre golf match (except the fuel economy) but if you press the button... Its a different animal.

Is that a bad thing? Should anything with any getup and go remind you constantly that it's noisy, hard and a raging beast even with the handbrake on? I don't think it's a bad thing to have a usable car that's also fast.

Is the R too fast for road use? Probably. I think my gti even has too much effortless performance vs what you can do on the road.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #87 on: 03 May 2021, 13:29 »
I’m surprised he didn’t like it more. He seemed more enthusiastic about the mk7 R - and gti.

I don’t think he’s a technophobe. His complaint about the user interface is the same old complaint that just about every other reviewer has.

Surprisingly critical of the steering too, I’ve not heard/ read that in other reviews.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #88 on: 03 May 2021, 13:59 »
I’m surprised he didn’t like it more. He seemed more enthusiastic about the mk7 R - and gti.

I don’t think he’s a technophobe. His complaint about the user interface is the same old complaint that just about every other reviewer has.

Surprisingly critical of the steering too, I’ve not heard/ read that in other reviews.

I think he was just overwhelmed by the interface and maybe didn't try the steering in any different modes?

I haven't driven the mk8 R, but surely they have carried over the different steering weight mode from the mk 7?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #89 on: 04 May 2021, 10:19 »
Don't know if we've seen the Sharp Dressed Man doing a Mk7.5 R vs the Mk8 R in the US of A?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSSvLDzJzgA

They have a little wait for their Mk8's yet and of course the USA ones will be slightly different, even though for the Mk8 they will also be made in the Fatherland and not Mexico... but they do get a manual box option unlike the ROW.