Author Topic: Newbie here!  (Read 1832 times)

Offline codestud

• Not said much yet
Newbie here!
« on: 20 June 2009, 11:32 »
Hi everyone,

After owning several Fords for some years (a Focus ST at present), I must admit that the Golf mk6 is the first Golf I've ever really fancied, and it is at the top of my shopping list, when the time arrives to change cars (hopefully soon).

Now, although the performance of the Focus has been great, sadly, I've had a number of build quality issues with it, as well as a poor experience of dealers, and it's put me off buying a Ford again for a long while (yes, even the RS).

Naturally, as like a bit of performance, I'd go for a GTI or GTD however, having played around with the online VW configurator and researched, I'm wondering whether it actually makes more sense to go for a GT 140 TDi?

1) With a GT you get that nice Alcantara interior as standard - with the GTI it's that tartan cloth or full leather, neither of which I like particularly.  The GTD interior cloth is even more boring!

2) The Monza wheels of a GTI are expensive to refurbish should they be kerbed (admittedly I don't have a very good record in this area)!  :sad:

3) My ideal GTI specced up would cost around 26K (with a GTD only very slightly less) - whereas my equivalent ideal GT 140 TDI would cost about 3K less.  Realistically, I might get a £1K discount off the GT, but not the GTI/GTD - this turns into a £4K difference.

Now, here is where the newbie questions come in.

1) Is there a good remap available for the 140 TDi engine that can give it more power/torque approaching GTI/GTD performance?

2) I really do like the GTI/GTD lower front valance in particular - is it possible to get one and have it fitted to a "lesser" model?  If anyone knows prices/availability then that'd be great.

Thanks.

Offline Jimp

• I live here
Re: Newbie here!
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2009, 19:15 »
If the engine in the GT 140 is the same as the mk5 then it can be mapped and modded up to about 200bhp quickly enough. Uprated air filter, exhaust, remap (Revo, superchips, etc etc)  :smiley:
Not low enough mk5
Not on the road enough mk3

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2009, 22:11 »
Well, that's interesting.  I need a new car, and it was the Focus ST that first caught my eye.  However, the more I look into it, the more I think the Golf GTi order will shortly be going in.  (Clarkson's Top Gear review was a major influence).

One more weight on the VW side of the scales.

Rolfe.

Offline Noisia

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2009, 01:22 »
Well, that's interesting.  I need a new car, and it was the Focus ST that first caught my eye.  However, the more I look into it, the more I think the Golf GTi order will shortly be going in.  (Clarkson's Top Gear review was a major influence).

One more weight on the VW side of the scales.

Rolfe.

What review would that be?

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2009, 10:13 »
A chap on here saved £3000 on a GTI by going through an internet supplier.  If you did this a GTI would cost the same as the 1.4 you have priced up.

Even better if it's an import (they carried higher spec in the Mk5, might be so for the Mk6).
Currently digging a bunker.