Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 286956 times)

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #2020 on: 14 February 2011, 21:07 »
Just got off the phone with Gerard Lopez and he said that Senna will test for Renault tomorrow, see how it goes then  :smiley:

over 1 second slower than Heidfeld but the conditions were different so not really that conclusive. It's going to be a difficult choice for the Renault boss, for sure (why do f1 drivers add for sure to the end of sentences?)

Not a difficult choice at all, it'll come down to who has the biggest bankroll behind them. When Lopez took over at RF1 he stated they were there to race, not to make money but then immediately hired Petrov as Number 2 Driver 'cos of the millions of euros in sponsorship money he brought....

So true. Money talks.

not always. if a driver brings say 50 million with him but constantly finishes out of the points for whatever reason he becomes  worse value for money than a paid driver who  picks a few points up every race due to the money teams get paid for where they finish.

Heidfeld is a much better prospect than senna and even comparable to kubica.

the BMW sauber years.

2007 - heidfeld 61
          kubica  27 

2008 - heidfeld 60
          kubica   75

2009 - heidfeld 19
          kubica   17

Offline 2001gti4

• Here all the time
« Reply #2021 on: 15 February 2011, 09:14 »
If that's the case then why didn't RF1 hire Heidfeld instead of Petrov? I actually worked at RF1 at the time and Lopez categorically stated that they were there to go racing and needed a solid second driver who would consistently bring in the points. Everyone assumed it would be Heidfeld and then out of the blue they hired Petrov who coincidentally had a huge amount of money behind him from Russian sponsors. Unfortunately in the majority of F1 teams the business side is more important than the racing....
My Golf is dead but at least I have this....

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #2022 on: 15 February 2011, 11:09 »
Here is an excellent write up on the background of the whole Lotus v Lotus fiasco.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/rejecting-offers-and-offers-never-made/

Offline jcook6788

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2023 on: 15 February 2011, 15:42 »
anyone going to any races next season?

..I have Spa booked :) hopefully go Silverstone to  :laugh:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #2024 on: 15 February 2011, 17:35 »
I'm going to Brazil again  :smiley:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #2025 on: 15 February 2011, 19:24 »
Nope. BBC HD for me!

You might not get the smells and noise but you get the best view and it's free!

Nick

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #2026 on: 15 February 2011, 19:48 »
Nope. BBC HD for me!

Nick

you are 110% correct.. I much prefer watching F1 on TV.
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #2027 on: 15 February 2011, 19:59 »
Nope. BBC HD for me!

Nick

I think you'll find the TV licence you pay means its not free  :tongue:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #2028 on: 15 February 2011, 20:22 »
Mrs Horney pays that. :grin:

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #2029 on: 15 February 2011, 22:27 »
If that's the case then why didn't RF1 hire Heidfeld instead of Petrov? I actually worked at RF1 at the time and Lopez categorically stated that they were there to go racing and needed a solid second driver who would consistently bring in the points. Everyone assumed it would be Heidfeld and then out of the blue they hired Petrov who coincidentally had a huge amount of money behind him from Russian sponsors. Unfortunately in the majority of F1 teams the business side is more important than the racing....

I assume it was a risk they had to take as they needed the money there and  then rather than when they might have got some off bernie if they got any points. Renault was an average at best car at the start of the year so probably worth the risk of taking a pay driver and hope he had some form aswell.

It may benefit teams like HRT, Virgin and Lotus to let people buy seats because they're less likely to score enough points to get any prize money, but then again Lotus had two proper drivers and finished 10th and did get a decent cut in 2010.

James Allen did a better job of explaining the whole pay V paid driver situtaion than me , it's on his blog somewhere if you can be bothered to look for it but i think i paraphrased the general gist of it above. And like i said, it doesn't always pay to have a paying driver , i never said never.