Author Topic: tuning forge split r  (Read 2092 times)

Offline lan1510

• Not said much yet
tuning forge split r
« on: 27 December 2007, 12:30 »
just got my forge split r dv but not making much noise.
anyone who got 1 kno what the best setting is for max noise?
would an upgraded air filter/induction kit make much difference? if so what one?
tried the search but im pretty sh!t at working it, cant find much info
live life fast coz life aint long!!!

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: tuning forge split r
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2007, 08:43 »
The air intake won't make a gnat's cock of difference to the noise a dump valve makes, as it's on the other side of the turbo to the dump valve.

A dump valve is designed to reduce pressure between the turbo and the throttle body under closed throttle conditions, not specifically to make a loud noise.  Maybe it's just doing its job?

I mean, who'd fit one just to make their car sound like it's got air brakes like a lorry or bus?  :shocked:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline RiCHiE360

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2007, 11:03 »
Completley inacurate.. on the mk4 GTI the dumpvalve sit right near the top of the air intake, near the MAF really.. Also fitting a Cold Air Induction kit will increase the noise 110% as me and several of my friends who have owned and own 1.8T will tell you!
The second you put and air intake on, the Dumpvalve noise will increase, i put one on my old 1.8T and that had a re-circulatin standard Forge DV and it chattered like mad.

If i was you mate id give Forge a ring their a firendly company and are used to people calling about getting more chatter fromt heir DV's thats why they created the splitter R to be honest mate  :smiley:

Roofless VR6 FTW

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2007, 18:19 »
Maybe you'd like to explain how what I said is 'completley inacurate'?

Unless you're running some sort of noise-making system, rather than a dump valve, the valve definitely *should* (for performance purposes) be mounted after the turbo, in the pressurised section of the inlet.

The possible reason for your confusion is that on the G4 the valve is designed to recirculate into the inlet manifold, as standard.  The air that is released is definitely coming from the pressurised side of the turbo. 

Maybe if the initial poster read the instructions that came with his valve he might find (as a quick skim read of the Forge website told me) that:

As a bonus we also offer the ability to convert the valve to recirculation only mode for those times when stealth running is required.

Which means his valve is probably set to recirculate the air, not make the lorry/bus noise.  I suspect a quick read of the instructions will yield the relevant screw to turn to set it to 'loud and pointless'.

Offline lan1510

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2007, 14:43 »
cheers richie, big help m8. as for the ova guy, i read the instructions and theres 64 different ratchet settings! gonna b a pain in the arse to check all ov m! the dump is already set to split the air back into the manifold, thats y its a split r. it can be fully atmospheric, fully recerc or split!!
alls i woz askin is if any1 else could tell me what setting they have theirs on.

plus it dun sound like a bus or lorry as its not a standard dump. sounds more like a wastegate chatter

richie, what filter/ intake would you recomend putting on?
« Last Edit: 29 December 2007, 14:50 by lan1510 »
live life fast coz life aint long!!!

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2007, 16:25 »

Unless you're running some sort of noise-making system, rather than a dump valve, the valve definitely *should* (for performance purposes) be mounted after the turbo, in the pressurised section of the inlet.

the vag 20v turbo engines have the dv placed before the turbo, between the maf and the inlet flange.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2007, 10:42 »
Without wanting to get into a fight with an administrator, could you explain how that works?

Even on Forge's site it says:

Please Note: This valve requires installing the opposite way to the original Bosch Valve. i.e. the side pipe is fitted into the Turbo Intake Hose and the base pipe connects to the hose that runs to the boost side of the turbo.

Yes, the standard valve 'dumps' into the inlet manifold, but it is venting (correct me if I'm wrong) from the pressurised section of the inlet manifold.

Dumping air at atmospheric pressure wouldn't work, would it?

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2007, 11:21 »
Yep the boost comes from the pressured side, naturally, but because it's of the recirculating type its on the vac side of the turbo so it can 'dump' the air straight back into the inlet, which is why you cant use the chavvy 'PSSHHFFT' scooby type of dump valve. Because of where the valve sits, using a free flowing intake does actually make it sound louder.
Being hungover doesn't help my rubbish skills at explaining stuff :grin: but all you need to do is take a look at the setup and you go 'ahhhh, now i see!'

edit: found a picture, courtesy of forum member samy

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z197/samfordsamfordsamford/DSCN0032.jpg

as you can see the dv sits on the inlet side and takes a feed from the manifold to vent the boosted air straight back into the turbo.
« Last Edit: 30 December 2007, 11:27 by topher »