Author Topic: TSR Ported 16v head advice  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
TSR Ported 16v head advice
« on: 29 November 2010, 23:40 »
Going to look at a ported head that is for sale local to me.
 It's apparently a TSR one similar to this http://www.tsr-performance.com/pages/heads16v.asp

1) How do I know for sure that it is a TSR head, should it have a makers mark or anything?

2) It comes with cam's and a vernier pulley, should i be looking for general condition?

3) If it's heavily breathed on head what else would I need to fit it? Have a 4 branch etc.

4)Seller assured me that it would work with Digi 3 on my ABF that I'll be fitting, will it?

5) How do I tell the difference between a KR head and an ABF one?

Anybody had/have one, if so what like?

Cheers in advance

NB

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: TSR Ported 16v head advice
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2010, 23:50 »
When I worked @ TSR we always stamped the head somewhere on the front with a short code.

If it is there, if you ring TSR they can tell you the spec etc.

It will not have had much done to it.

Just ported / polished and gas flowed.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2010, 23:52 by Wayne »

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2010, 16:55 »
Depends on what cams it has fitted as to whether it will work emission wise with digi 3.

Look for the part number stamped on the head to tell which it is:

051 103351 early KR and PL head
053 103351 6A, 9A and later KR's
053 103351B ACE, ADL and early ABF's
053 103351C Later ABF and ACE

It will depend on what car you are fitting this onto as to what other parts you will need. For example:

Later ABF heads have a different cover and cover gasket.
Later ABF heads have a different timing belt tensioner and tensioner stud.
ABF heads have differant locations for the sensors to the KR heads.

Paul

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2010, 23:04 »
Cool, good info as always guys. :smiley:

Snow is murder here so won't be risking life and limb at the mo to go and see it.

I'll be fitting it to a '94 ABF engine out of a mk3 Golf which in turn is getting fitted in my '91 mk2 16v.

I will need to double check what duration the cams are.

Do you happen to know if there is a particular cam setup that will cause problems with the digi 3?

Not wanting anything track oriented as it'll (one day) be my daily.

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2010, 20:42 »
Cool, good info as always guys. :smiley:

Do you happen to know if there is a particular cam setup that will cause problems with the digi 3?

Search for ess threes threads which will give you some good info on abf cams and dig 3 emissions.

From memory 260's work fine but 268's cause emissions fail at mot. I think he ended up with 268 intake and standard exhaust cam. Lots of different variable on the cams though such as duration, lift and overlap. I think you can go higher lift and less duration to cut down overlap which seems to be what causes the problems. I'm not an expert though so don't quote me  :laugh:

Paul

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #5 on: 01 December 2010, 22:40 »

Search for ess threes threads which will give you some good info on abf cams and dig 3 emissions.

From memory 260's work fine but 268's cause emissions fail at mot. I think he ended up with 268 intake and standard exhaust cam. Lots of different variable on the cams though such as duration, lift and overlap. I think you can go higher lift and less duration to cut down overlap which seems to be what causes the problems. I'm not an expert though so don't quote me  :laugh:

Paul

Ees Three? I recognise the name from previous internet trawls. He's not too far from me too which is cool.

Cheers I will have a good look.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2010, 13:37 »
So did ya buy it?
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2010, 14:08 »

Then realise your pre-92 car doesn't give a flying f*ck about emissions and carry on without a care in the world....  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline justalex81

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2010, 14:32 »

Then realise your pre-92 car doesn't give a flying f*ck about emissions and carry on without a care in the world....  :grin:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2010, 13:32 »
So did ya buy it?

Not as yet, massive snow drifts have made the journey impossible so haven't even been down to look at it yet. :sad:

That's a very valid point, which tbh I had forgotten about, but I still don't want to install some daft race cam's that won't work with the OEM management that I'm wanting to run. So just to be crystal clear, pre-92 car can't fail MOT on emmissions?

Defo after a lightened/ balanced flywheel for when I install the ABF 'box though, they look like a wise investment.