Author Topic: New car advice please  (Read 1497 times)

Offline tuscan

• Not said much yet
New car advice please
« on: 22 June 2013, 09:16 »
Hi!  Ive ordered a brand new Mk7 Golf GTD in black and will hopefully recieve it in August  :rolleyes:

My question is what to do with it when I get it?  I have read that people are taking a detailer with them when they collect the car and that they have told the dealers under no circumstance to wash the vehicle 1st.  Is this really necessary??

I would like to get on top of the cleaning from day 1 because I have made the error in the past of letting dirt get on top and then its tough!  I have read your detailing tips including clay bars and polishes etc but will I need to do this from day 1?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Re: New car advice please
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2013, 11:50 »
I bet you cannot wait! I am so jealous!  :drool: :cool:

I had a scout but couldn't find the thread where a detailer had a brand new BMW from the factory, no dealer ship touched it. Still with like the chalk markers on it and some of the plastic protection strips, he then went to town on i, full head to toe clean and protection. That for me would be a proper job.

A dealer will want to wash it and make it look all shiny their way, which won't be a as good as if you or I spent a couple of days detailing it. I have read some horror stories and seen some of the marring and swirl marks left on a brand new car from the dealers.

Are you big into your detailing or new?

I'd personelly not have them touch it and then wash and protect it my self.

Offline tuscan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2013, 11:57 »
Thanks for getting back to me.

Im new to it.  As im getting older im taking more care of things and would like to get this right.  So if i take it out of the wrap I should start from scratch with a wash then clay bar then polish,wax and seal??

Any recommendations on wheel cleaners/sealers?  I hate dirty wheels!  I'm already dreading the day when the wife kerbs it and takes a chunk out of them  :angry: :angry:

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2013, 13:22 »
It really comes down to you, the dealer will clean it to a reasonable standard and then you can top up on it. I would clay bar it, seal it and wax it. Same with wheels.

I would suggest jointing the Waxamomo forum and ask the guys on there what they think for newbie, there are loads of professional detailers on there that may even live near your dealer and do a 'new car' detail deal.

I've just started using Poorboys wheel sealant and its really good and smells ace but that's just me being weird! In terms of cleaner, treat yourself to de-ironizer like Auto Finesse Iron Out. I keep on top of our wheels by cleaning them I between main washes too.

Hope this helps.