Author Topic: Overheating  (Read 2719 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re:Overheating
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2003, 19:47 »
I'm a bit concerned that you're temp gauge was in the middle but you're radiator was cold, radiator should be hot. That would lead me to thinking your thermostat isn't opening.  :-\

Took my new mk2 8v out for its first run tonight and everything was fine for about 45 mins, got on the M40 and then the water temp warning light started flashing.  The actual temp gauge was fine, the needle was in the middle.  I stopped the car and took the filler cap off and it started fizzing etc.  The engine felt hot and all the water pipes were hot, although the radiator was cold.  I dont recall hearing the fan at all.  I left it for a while and started it back up and the temp gauge went back down to the bottom, but the light started flashing about 5 minutes later (temp gauge was now in the middle).  I also noticed that the MFA was reporting the oil temp at 90 degrees C.  I had to keep stopping and starting about 6 times before I could get home.

What could this be?  Its really p!ssing me off because the car drives superbly apart from this.

Help!

Cheers

Neil

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2003, 20:48 »
Yeah doesnt sound right to me, If the radiator is cold then its not getting coolant flow through it. thermostat as richandhazel said or a major blockage. Try the basics first, Rad fan, thermoswitch, flush the radiator out with a garden hose and see if it improves.

The temp light will flash if the water level is low.

Offline sKrEwBaLL

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2003, 22:45 »
Its OK, panic over.  I topped up the coolant and the light went off.  Told you I was crap.