Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 537911 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1000 on: 30 April 2017, 08:13 »
Stunning, amazing reflections :smiley:

+1. I always enjoy doing the first wash after my car's been treated to the full works (decon, polish, wax) as it's really easy to clean :smiley:.

As above, looks stunning. I'm still working myself up to the first wash after the detail that was done on it a few weeks ago.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1001 on: 30 April 2017, 09:04 »
Thanks all.  Was an easy wash, 90% of dirt came off with snow foam and citrus pre-wash, and the mitt almost floated above the paintwork and off came the last 10%, lol.  Even my suds were beading!

+1. I always enjoy doing the first wash after my car's been treated to the full works (decon, polish, wax) as it's really easy to clean :smiley:.

As above, looks stunning. I'm still working myself up to the first wash after the detail that was done on it a few weeks ago.

Lol, get it done.  It will be the easiest wash you ever have.........but.......also the first nerve racking moment of potentially introducing new swirls to the pristine paint.  :shocked:  Have I put you off?   :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1002 on: 30 April 2017, 20:00 »
Thanks all.  Was an easy wash, 90% of dirt came off with snow foam and citrus pre-wash, and the mitt almost floated above the paintwork and off came the last 10%, lol.  Even my suds were beading!

Lol, get it done.  It will be the easiest wash you ever have.........but.......also the first nerve racking moment of potentially introducing new swirls to the pristine paint.  :shocked:  Have I put you off?   :grin:

In a word, yes :cry:
« Last Edit: 30 April 2017, 20:05 by I wanted a GTi »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1003 on: 30 April 2017, 21:09 »

Lol, so you are now taking the extreme minimum touch approach - never wash again.  You know it's got to be done sometime.   :evil:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1004 on: 01 May 2017, 18:35 »

Lol, so you are now taking the extreme minimum touch approach - never wash again.  You know it's got to be done sometime.   :evil:

You would be surprised how much a heavy shower of rain has helped, I recon I could get a few more weeks out of it until it goes in to get the scratch sorted out :whistle:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1005 on: 01 May 2017, 19:07 »

You would be surprised how much a heavy shower of rain has helped, I recon I could get a few more weeks out of it until it goes in to get the scratch sorted out :whistle:

Wuss!   :grin:

A shower of rain hasn't helped mine, it's now yet again covered in sandy leopard spots.  :angry:  I much prefer maintaining cars over winter than spring/summer!
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1006 on: 01 May 2017, 19:53 »

Wuss!   :grin:

A shower of rain hasn't helped mine, it's now yet again covered in sandy leopard spots.  :angry:  I much prefer maintaining cars over winter than spring/summer!

I blame Africa, they're not in the EU so we can't blame it on Brexit :whistle:

Wuss? Yeah and proud :smiley:

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1007 on: 04 May 2017, 12:46 »
OK So I'm back. Been away from here for quite some time. Not much has been going on - driving the car, and occasionally washing it, and just life in general. It's held up well over the winter, but have added a few more stone chips (seemingly more each month). I did fix some of them with Chipex, which I mean to put up on here but then forgot about.

It's time for the decon tomorrow. I've bought myself a DA - DAS 6 pro+ meguires 105/205 + hex logic kit from CYC. Have a long day planned for tomorrow whilst the Mrs is at work, and will be shipping the little one off to Grandparents so can give the car my full attention!

I'll be concentrating on only the body work, and will look at the wheels in a few weeks time. Planned process is:

usual snow foam, and 2 bucket wash this afternoon when I get home from work - hope it will stay dry and bird poo free (they've not been good to me lately) overnight as this will save me 90 mins tomorrow.
If not then a quick snow foam wash in the morning before decon - might do this anyway regardless, but the worst of the dirt will be off already.
use Tardis and then Iron X for decon with a PW rinse in between.
Full wash and dry.
DA polish - hoping the meguires 205 + white pad will be enough, followed by the black pad to finish.
gTechniq Panel wipe.
Apply c2v3

Should be able to get all this in tomorrow, especially if I don't need to do a full wash before starting. Weather is forecast to be good tomorrow. No rain and between 10 & 15C. I'll need to get a move on with the decon in the morning before the shadow of our house moves away from the front. I can back the car down the drive if necessary when doing the polishing.

Will let you know how I get on!
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1008 on: 04 May 2017, 17:37 »
Welcome back Dave! Will this be your first time using a DA? If so will be interested in how you get on with it. I'm planning on a decom soon but will clay mine too. Will definitely need polishing afterwards but it's quite a big investment, especially if I balls it up...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1009 on: 04 May 2017, 20:23 »
Welcome back Dave! Will this be your first time using a DA? If so will be interested in how you get on with it. I'm planning on a decom soon but will clay mine too. Will definitely need polishing afterwards but it's quite a big investment, especially if I balls it up...

Yes will be first time using a da. Watched a few videos on YouTube and I went and found the thread on here last time I was going to do it and didn't buy one for Rebecca's advice, so I think I know what I'm doing.
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000