Author Topic: My Pure White 5 door GTD (early initial) Review (With some pics)  (Read 7647 times)

Offline watson

• Not said much yet
Re: My Pure White 5 door GTD (early initial) Review (With some pics)
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2013, 11:54 »
Nice looking car..

The 'pebbled' paint finish you asked about sounds like the normal protection finish on the lower sills.

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2013, 12:50 »
Thank you Watson. I wasn't sure as i've not had a new car in while. I wouldn't have thought they would screw up such an easy to notice piece.

VW Golf MK7 GTD Manual 5DR Pure White

Offline Moffs

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 03 December 2013, 19:39 »
Looking good in white  :cool: Glad you are pleased with it.

regarding my previous post about getting the BT to read texts out through the system - just swapped my phone to an S4 and it still won't do it so if you manage to work it out let me know.

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2013, 20:52 »
i'm umming and urring over some of the usb cables that people have, but yet to find one i'm sure will work. (Charging for one, but music etc would be useful! - however I only have the normal sounds system)

A friend has a VCDS/VAG-COM cable thingy, and will lend it to me tomorrow, so also going to have a hunt on that for some fun :) - never know what i may find, as never looked before!

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 03 December 2013, 20:55 »
this reminds, me, not sure if it is the sound aktor thingy, but if i were to push my car a bit :P - at about 4k revs, nearing the limits i get a buzzing noise, it sounds like the edge of the sound actuator limits, and it just buzzes. Only ever when pushing it (and only done it a few times, really to test the limit)... but a definite buzz... The odd thing, i kinda like it, although i'm sure it is not meant to bet there!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2013, 07:47 »
this reminds, me, not sure if it is the sound aktor thingy, but if i were to push my car a bit :P - at about 4k revs, nearing the limits i get a buzzing noise, it sounds like the edge of the sound actuator limits, and it just buzzes. Only ever when pushing it (and only done it a few times, really to test the limit)... but a definite buzz... The odd thing, i kinda like it, although i'm sure it is not meant to bet there!

I get this too, almost bang-on 4000 revs.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2013, 21:16 »
That is weird i suppose, and probably most people have it? (It sounds like it is up the top to me, by the sun glasses storage place)...  ANyway, not the end of the world :)

Well, i've now pretty much moved home, and had a few more spins in it and here's my update.

Interior
The interior is almost perfect for me (5'9, small->medium size), and everything is in the right place so far. The steering wheel, feel and movement is also great.

The Lights look stunning, especially the door strips on the front doors. It makes the interior look very smart at night.
The seats are tight enough for me to make me feel like a long trip would be easy, and also very easy to adjust.  The under seat storage is quite small, but enough for wipes or small items.  The door storage is huge! and big enough to fit a large 1-2 litre bottle of water and more! Very impressive.

All of the knobs and buttons feel good to touch and work well.

Whilst driving with the window earlier, i did get roof water drop into the cabin though... (However dried out well with no stains or marks!).

The Lights
Oh wow, the little things make me smile.  Get your car in the dark, and just turn the wheel left and right, and watch the cornering lights go, they look so cool!
Also the day time running lights do look pretty sexy!

The alloys
Erm... pretty bad scratch on one already due to a tight squeeze by a lorry yesterday :( bahhhhhhhhh! - but to me, well, again not too bothered... things happen, and well, the wheel itself is fine... and fixable :)
They look beautiful, and a real head turner.

The sound system/CMS etc
I went for the basic no frills GTD, but the system was so easy to set up and the sound quality is perfect for me. I really have not gone past half volume and it is still perfectly crisp and clear.  I find the Dab radio a bit treble'y, but very much fine to listen too.

Adding an SD card with music was so so easy! and if the files are done correctly, the album/song art shows up fine.

All of the little information windows, and mileage/fule since start/refuel/long term, are very cleverly done.

The drive
So initially i kept it in normal, however i find sport much more fun (The noise hehe), and eco drives pretty well, so now i alternate between eco and sport, and seem to get better mpg in both over the normal.

I managed to get 43mpg in eco earlier, and 41mpg in sport (Doing the same trip), whilst normal gave me 37... However, i've only done 200 miles, so not taking to much notice of that.  Yes economy is important, hence the choice of a GTD, but i'll have some fun now and let it warm up.

The ACC is a joy to behold... and i can only imagine what it is like with a DSG!, yes it is a bit slow on the uptake in slow speeds, to get back up to my required speed, but for a casual drive, it is very easy, and no fuss. thThe breaking and distance control has taken me a few attempts to get right, but it is just about there. (Quite close on slow speeds... about 20-30m, and further away at faster speeds).

The start stop is intermittent, sometimes it stops, sometimes it doesn't. You can feel it, but its useful. It kicks back in so quickly that I've got no issues.

The reverse puddle dip is great! but....  can be a bit fiddly when you don't need it to look up right, change the button and look back again. Getting used to it, but it would be nice to have a steering wheel adjuster. Anotehr very cool trick is lowering the volume of the music/CMS while reversing/concentrating. Noticeable and very very welcome. (You can adjust by how much in the  settings).

As i said, the first gear or two is still notchy, and noticeable. Easy to drive, but seems less so in eco? (Not sure it actually is, but more the way i am driving that probably affects that).

There is a bit of wind noise at higher speeds, but nothing that stops a conversation.

The boot / seat folding is amazingingly easy, and been essential for me over the last few days. I really wish they thought of one final thing!... (Or i wish i knew if there was a way!) .... When i have had to remove the parcel shelf and fold the seats down, i've put the parcel shelf on its side above the head rests, leaning on the front seats. - a little clip to hold it in place would rock!.... (Moving home, and getting a dog, has now made that happen a lot!)

The conti tyres grip like glue... seriously good grip. Tested a quick fling round a fun local round about and i could have gone round it for hours!!!

Overall, 200ish miles in, smiling from ear to ear. (Bearing in mind i came from a 1.2 punto, it wasnt hard to beat), but again.... even the very minor niggles are not faults, and my expectations have still been met.  I'm learning about this car every drive, and i now have a VCDS cable and the rosstech software, so will have a play the second i get a moment. (Missus at work tomorrow - so a day off with the car!).

Not found my DSLR yet, but getting there with the unpacking! And my phone does not do the car justice!

As a bubbly bonus, when leaving the Amex Stadium yesterday, the Brighton players where just turning up, and i turned up to 3 of them standing by looking at the car.  One of them asked a few questions and was pretty impressed!  Made me smile, as one of them was in an M5 :P But they liked it and asked me to rev it out of the car park :) hehe.. The security guards look less than impressed. (Oh and they played sh*te yesterday ... my dad watched it at the stadium!)

Good to see it is a head turner. I know there are a lot of PW's out there, but it does look the mutts nuts :)

Offline mrluketee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 05 December 2013, 10:47 »
Another great review mate. Getting me seriously pumped for mine now! Get that DSLR already!  :grin:
Standard GTD 3dr

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 05 December 2013, 16:44 »
Found the cam, and the batteries are charging! Missus changed her mind today and is working tomorrow instead. But i did manage to give the car a wash this evening, was getting pretty dark as i finished, and the detailers would be semi-proud... not a sponge in sight! Two buckets, mitts and a cheap snow foam :) (manually put on, as i forgot my karcher has a wash/shampoo function, doh!!!)

Apart from a scuffed alloy, she is looking beautiful.  (Will confirm that in the morning, took some more cam pics tonight, but will cook before i have time to put them on :) )

Another good trip out today and getting up to the 40 - 42mpg on a 20m return trip. Not ironically getting anywhere near as good as my 9 year old Punto 1.2 yet... but closer! :P

hehe, how long have you got luke?