Author Topic: Things to check when you pickup your new car? (Checklist?)  (Read 4024 times)

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
Hi peeps,

I've read quite a lot of posts on people getting their new cars, and I was wondering if there is a list of things to check before signing over so to speak. (In my case via lease it will be delivered to my work, so I want to make sure i get it right)

Here is my mini list
1) Red/Blue cable? I've read that it comes with a cable for phone etc, is that also the case if the standard CMS is ordered, and no extra phone prep is ordered? (Bog standard spec for me) - if it is, what colour is expected?
2) I read that some are coming with different tyres? Not that i can really change them, but good to know what I'm expecting. Ie, are the Bridgestone's worse?
3) I've heard some of the sound actuator things can have a rattle, worth revving to test, or would that be something I notice (or hopefully not notice) further down the road?
4) Is there any other functional or aesthetic things I need to notice/check for?

VW Golf MK7 GTD Manual 5DR Pure White

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Things to check when you pickup your new car? (Checklist?)
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2013, 17:59 »
Bridgestones have average grip in the dry, crap grip in the wet (not good for zooming away from a standstill when you see a gap to take on a busy roundabout). I had issues with Dunlops being very fragile (hit a very small pothole in the middle of winter and you may get a sidewall bulge on the tyre) - I wrecked 3 tyres in my first winter with my 140TDI Scirocco before I got the 170 (which came with Pirellis). I'd hope for Continentals.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2013, 19:21 »
Thanks Monkey - will pop through and check the photos of others, and i think one of the new car threads may have even added tyre types - so will go find that :) - i assume either build week/factory and/or country would probably determine the tyre type?

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2013, 19:51 »
When picking up a new car there are only two fundamental issues to review. Firstly:

Is this the car you ordered - it may be a no brainer if its a standard (ie no options) car but you need to be very careful if you have specced a few options to ensure they are all there. These days with so many former options being standard too its also a good idea to ensure that eveything is on the car as it should be.

Secondly - Is there any cosmetic damage on the bodywork, glass, wheels or interior. Be very careful and take you time over this as once you leave the dealer it will be near impossible to complain about a scratch, chip etc.

Lastly - make sure thr manuals are present, the PDI has been signed and stamped (and dated), any accessories such as i-pod leads are in place, key for locking wheel nuts is in place, transport blocks are removed and there are no rags left under the bonnet!

Its the first two that are really important - particularly with respect to options or features which may have not been fitted and cannot be retro-fitted (and believe me this does happen).

I think we need a clue list for how to check for these extras and features....

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2013, 23:43 »
Good point Mark,

I've realised i put this specifically in the GTD folder... might be worth moving out if i can come up with a decent check-list for the MK7 in general.

I'll take a look through the generic check-lists (AA, RAC etc...) and see if I can add some basics for the mk7 Golf.

In the meanwhile, things like the cables etc... which models/types/addons get what colour/if any etc?
What tyres are people getting where / model / build week? (hmmmmm - the statistic lover in me wants a master table of details! hehe) :)

Back to the point, anything specific to the MK7 GTD that I'm in need of checking? (Apart from the usual new car checks)

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2013, 07:54 »
Have the master tech sign in blood that all the transport pucks have been removed :grin:
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2013, 08:46 »
Checking for options - some of them are of course obvious - othes I guess you would need the build codes and be checking in the boot for the data sticker. I will get the ball rolling...

Heated seats - buttons on the centre console
Heated washer jets - build code???
Low washer fluid warning light (does this come on momntarily on start up?)
headlight washers - small doors below headlamps
Xenon lamps - different appearance from halogen (and no leveling dial next to light switch)
Park assist - button near gear stick and extra sensors on wheel arches
High beam assist - left stalk has two forward positions (auto and on)
Dynaudio - Dynaudio badged speakers throughout car
Nav Pro - larger (8") screen
Lane Assist - ????
DCC- extra button near gear stick?
ACC (Adaptive Cruise) - radar sensor on front grille (plus steering wheel buttons)
Rear camera - engage reverse and check media screen!
Performance Pack (GTI) - build code??
Sunroof - obvious!
Keyless - no ignition key receptacle...
Tyre pressure monitor (re-set button in glove box???)
« Last Edit: 09 November 2013, 09:01 by Mark V GTD »

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2013, 00:12 »
You might give this thread useful!
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13