Author Topic: GTD+  (Read 42230 times)

Offline MajorKhan

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTD+
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2013, 13:28 »
Main reason for a remap / box on GTD????

Apart from the possible extra 10% economy( not so fussed about this as this is the reason I ordered a GTD), what gains/benefits have you guys seen or expect to get? will it accelerate from 40mph to 100 mph allot quicker, does power come in sooner so if your on bends giving it sum, you can brake and accelerate hard and feel that your on a laptime.,...seen figures increase in bhp of 35/50bhp which is alot, torque gains.....but what does this actually  do for you day in day out??????
From a Pulsar GTIR, MK4 Golf 1.8t, BMW 1series, BMW 330, Merc C280, A3 TDi, A4 2.0t Quattro...on order Mk7 T/Red GTD nav/pan roof/dynoaudio and ABT headlight brow BW44!

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2013, 14:05 »
True but on occasions you do like to nail it from stand still or burst some pr*ck in a wee fiesta st or whatever it may be to put him back in his cage. I rag the sh*t out my a3 2.0 and still manage after three years from new 45mpg

Wrong car for that... The New Fiesta ST is quite quick... 0-62 in 6.9...

If you feel the need for that... you need to buy something fast... and it is do-able for much less than a new Golf GTD...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2013, 14:14 »
...will it accelerate from 40mph to 100 mph allot quicker...

Yes, it should be much quicker... it will not be traction limited at those speeds.

does power come in sooner so if your on bends giving it sum

I doubt it but you may need to be more careful with the throttle... the same throttle opening will, more than likely, result in more power than without the tuning box

you can brake and accelerate hard and feel that your on a laptime

Are you panning to track the car? The tuning box will not have any effect on the braking capability of the car, although you should, perhaps, consider a brake upgrade... If you cannot feel the effect of 35-50bhp then I'd be very surprised...

seen figures increase in bhp of 35/50bhp which is alot, torque gains

It is a significant increase. So consider the extra costs - if you make use of all the extra power - reduced brake life, reduced clutch life, reduced tyre life, significantly increased insurance (probably), effect on warranty if VW found out... etc. etc.

In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2013, 14:21 »
True but on occasions you do like to nail it from stand still or burst some pr*ck in a wee fiesta st or whatever it may be to put him back in his cage. I rag the sh*t out my a3 2.0 and still manage after three years from new 45mpg

Wrong car for that... The New Fiesta ST is quite quick... 0-62 in 6.9...

If you feel the need for that... you need to buy something fast... and it is do-able for much less than a new Golf GTD...

Yeh but I do a lot of miles in the car for work, so I do need it to be economical as well, so surely this has the best of both worlds! it will be quick, but not dangerously quick. Current car states (A3) 8.5 and people state 6.9 or so for GTD so that to me will feel fast enough, especially after a remap/box. But as people say, diesels are great from 30mph
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline MajorKhan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2013, 14:31 »
Thankyou Corgi
From a Pulsar GTIR, MK4 Golf 1.8t, BMW 1series, BMW 330, Merc C280, A3 TDi, A4 2.0t Quattro...on order Mk7 T/Red GTD nav/pan roof/dynoaudio and ABT headlight brow BW44!

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 03 October 2013, 16:07 »
Yeh but I do a lot of miles in the car for work, so I do need it to be economical as well, so surely this has the best of both worlds! it will be quick, but not dangerously quick. Current car states (A3) 8.5 and people state 6.9 or so for GTD so that to me will feel fast enough, especially after a remap/box. But as people say, diesels are great from 30mph

So do I (a lot of miles) that's why I've ordered a GTD as a company car... makes the most sense given the BIK advantage (especially as it comes so well equipped as standard) but I don't kid myself that its going to be anything other than a decently quick diesel hatch... much the same as the g/f's new 120d MSport (which, by the way, is pretty good)...

I've done my fair share of motorsport (and still do) so don't feel the need to race on the road...

If I want more performance, I can take my other car out...

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 03 October 2013, 16:51 »

So do I (a lot of miles) that's why I've ordered a GTD as a company car... makes the most sense given the BIK advantage (especially as it comes so well equipped as standard) but I don't kid myself that its going to be anything other than a decently quick diesel hatch... much the same as the g/f's new 120d MSport (which, by the way, is pretty good)...

I've done my fair share of motorsport (and still do) so don't feel the need to race on the road...

If I want more performance, I can take my other car out...

Im not saying i race on the road but like everyone, i occasionally like to put the foot down now and again. Maybe a GTI should have been ordered. But at 600 plus miles a week 30mpg just wouldnt make financial sense
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP

Offline Buddy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 03 October 2013, 19:50 »
Fitted. 5 minute job. Left the settings as it came.
And the car even started afterwards which was a bit of a relief, I'm not gonna lie!
Will nip out in a bit and report back.

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 03 October 2013, 20:19 »
Fitted. 5 minute job. Left the settings as it came.
And the car even started afterwards which was a bit of a relief, I'm not gonna lie!
Will nip out in a bit and report back.

I don't know why but I'm all excited in light of what I hope is some epic feedback to this box
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP

Offline Buddy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 03 October 2013, 21:12 »
Took it for a 20 minute outing. Once up to temp I floored it on the few open stretches I could find (or hang back to create).

Wow, it definitely pulls better, a lot better. Not convinced that it's 235bhp but what's great about it is that the extra power and torque still feel well within the capabilities of this chassis and drivetrain. Have remapped every turbo & turbo diesel car I've ever owned and the biggest drawback with all the FWD ones is the torque steer, scrabbling, wheel spinning and general inefficient application of the extra power. None of that here. Torque steer is all but non existent and even applying the power mid bend does not seem to unsettle it but I didn't take as far I will be in different conditions.

Will test it on the motorway tomorrow where I expect the power delivery will come into its own and will have a proper test over the weekend  :laugh: and will look to try out the other map settings over the weekend too.

First impressions are good. The box itself definitely and appreciably enhances the car's performance and in my mind it's worth the money. The great news is that this car laps up the extra power with ease. All of this for less than £300 and totally traceless during servicing/warranty work etc.