Author Topic: Siri's failures - a massive blow for apple...  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
Re: Siri's failures - a massive blow for apple...
« Reply #20 on: 06 December 2011, 20:13 »
Not sure why you thought it was me :grin: I'm not a mod and don't think the section really needs one. It's dead most of the time, sure it had some crap to begin with but I think that's just the way forums are and it was no worse here than other parts have been before.

fin.
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 06 December 2011, 21:02 »
f**k me, if you need a phone to organise your life you're either a sad b@stard or just plain retarded.  :rolleyes:

while this is true to some extent people use a phone for a lot more now than just making and receiving calls and they have replaced many things like diaries, computers/laptops for mobile email, the walkman, cameras for information taking and sharing, road maps to find destinations etc.. so yeah... I am a sad bastard and it is part of my life and work and anything which can ease its use is a good thing* :)

* as a valeter I often wear gloves so sending texts and looking up information using siri would be a good example of this.. especially if I can have this information relayed to me while the phone is still kept safe and dry in my pocket.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #22 on: 06 December 2011, 21:07 »
*except that you still have to press the screen to move on to the next question/command you have for it from what I have seen, thus negating the purpose you'd have used it for.

Vlingo would do a better job at what you are looking for Guy, it can automatically read out texts and you can reply to them without lifting a finger :wink:

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 06 December 2011, 21:37 »
*except that you still have to press the screen to move on to the next question/command you have for it from what I have seen, thus negating the purpose you'd have used it for.

Vlingo would do a better job at what you are looking for Guy, it can automatically read out texts and you can reply to them without lifting a finger :wink:

i would hope that I could initiate it from my button/volume thing on my earphone cord.. i use that to make calls at the moment. its more difficult to read texts etc and I have to stop, de-glove, take phone out, read text with damp/wet hands, put phone back in pocket, and then pop gloves back on etc - painful

just tried out vlingo... its a start but i can't get it to work from the earphone cable without touching the phone and i can't get it to read new texts...

hope siri or vlingo will work with the 4 soon (not jailbroken)

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 07 December 2011, 09:37 »
What you need is a waterproof set of smartphone gloves Guy, at the moment all they do is stuff like these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Etouch-Touchscreen-Blackberry-Samsung-smartphones/dp/B005RX2TYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323250456&sr=8-1

The most useful thing we've found with smartphones is that we can have shared Google calendars available whereever we are, on the PC, on the wife's iPad/iPhone and my HTC.
Siri can't help with reading a month's worth of shifts to me.

Offline JulesS3

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 07 December 2011, 11:53 »

i would hope that I could initiate it from my button/volume thing on my earphone cord.. i use that to make calls at the moment. its more difficult to read texts etc and I have to stop, de-glove, take phone out, read text with damp/wet hands, put phone back in pocket, and then pop gloves back on etc - painful

just tried out vlingo... its a start but i can't get it to work from the earphone cable without touching the phone and i can't get it to read new texts...

hope siri or vlingo will work with the 4 soon (not jailbroken)

Vlingo sucks ass! Put it on the missus 4 and compared it with Siri. She deleted it quite quickly even though she really wants my phone due to Siri. Yes you use the cord buttons, you never need to remove your phone. It reads out text and then prompts you as to what you want to do (no button pressing) you say reply, then it asks you to speak (still no button pressing) you say it, then it asks you if you want to send it (still no button pressing) and then you say yes. Job done

I think for anyone reading this, i would advise you to ignore any posts which start with 'i dont have siri but...'

:wink:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #26 on: 07 December 2011, 12:00 »
f**k me, if you need a phone to organise your life you're either a sad b@stard or just plain retarded.  :rolleyes:

Plus one

:grin: now that made me chuckle  :laugh:

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 07 December 2011, 13:45 »
I dont have siri but gave vlingo a go. Used it for one day... it wasnt bad at what its suposed to do, but I just cant be fcuked with talking to phone when I can do stuff with my fingers (anyone wondered what they were for?)

Granted some peolpe have a use for apps like this... I would say 99% of users dont. Dont waste your life arguing about it

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #28 on: 07 December 2011, 14:00 »
missing harmless posts?  :huh:  :rolleyes:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 07 December 2011, 17:06 »
i was trying vlingo on my way to a job this morning...

managed one text to jordan ok

the other three texts i tried to send took over half an hour to get right.. and left me feeling quite angry  :grin:

so i then tried a status update saying "status update: vlingo is really sh!t exclamation mark."

I ended up with "Vlingo is really six 6:00 tonight?"

so I just edited it to read "Vlingo is really six 6:00 tonight? I meant to say. sh!t." and left it at that... haven't used it since.