Author Topic: Circles, Circles everywhere!  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
Circles, Circles everywhere!
« on: 04 July 2011, 21:33 »
Google+ is now open(ish), time for more bloody circles!
ARGHHHHH!!!!
https://plus.google.com/
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Circles, Circles everywhere!
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2011, 22:09 »
Doomed to failure.

Nick

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2011, 22:33 »
Only time will tell, but so far I like it. It integrates well into Google's new UI by adding +YourName to the top bar where Web, Images, Gmail etc are, so it's easy to access and easy to setup circles, the whole drag and drop approach is well thought out :)

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2011, 22:45 »
Only time will tell, but so far I like it. It integrates well into Google's new UI by adding +YourName to the top bar where Web, Images, Gmail etc are, so it's easy to access and easy to setup circles, the whole drag and drop approach is well thought out :)

I don't doubt it has some good ideas, but what's the point when Facebook dominates? It's a bit like having a phone with amazing features but you can only call 2 people on it. Facebook will rip anything that looks useful and continue on. Any new social media site needs to be a complete step change from anything that already exists to make itself work.

I totally get why google are doing it though, if facebook start their own search engine built into the site they'll watch their ad revenue go down the pan.

Nick

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2011, 23:20 »
I like Facebook somewhat, but I don't trust Facebook. I do trust Google (why, I don't know!) the UI is simple, it's alot easier to post/share things with your circles (groups/lists on FB). I can see it being easier to control than FB when using it as a personal sales tool (good for pre-interview screening if you do it right).

I think Google have cracked their implementation of a social network with this one. Buzz was a disaster and I removed myself from it after a few days using it as the permissions on who read what etc was f@cked. Wave, was more of a collaboration tool than social network, and Orkut? WTF is Orkut?! :grin:

If anyone can't signup through the link above and wants an invite PM me your gmail address and I'll send an invite (can take up to 12 hours apparently).

EDIT: It can also link with twitter, linkedin, Facebook, Flickr etc etc so you can have them all in one place. You can't manage them from there yet though, just link to them. Need a proper look at what that means tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2011, 23:27 by Jay »

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2011, 23:36 »
Google miss the boat by about 5 years :grin:

Thom

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2011, 23:56 »

I don't doubt it has some good ideas, but what's the point when Facebook dominates?

World wide, facebook is losing millions of members every month mate

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2011, 08:45 »

I don't doubt it has some good ideas, but what's the point when Facebook dominates? It's a bit like having a phone with amazing features but you can only call 2 people on it. Facebook will rip anything that looks useful and continue on. Any new social media site needs to be a complete step change from anything that already exists to make itself work.

I totally get why google are doing it though, if facebook start their own search engine built into the site they'll watch their ad revenue go down the pan.

Nick

I like Facebook somewhat, but I don't trust Facebook. I do trust Google (why, I don't know!) the UI is simple, it's alot easier to post/share things with your circles (groups/lists on FB). I can see it being easier to control than FB when using it as a personal sales tool (good for pre-interview screening if you do it right).

I think Google have cracked their implementation of a social network with this one. Buzz was a disaster and I removed myself from it after a few days using it as the permissions on who read what etc was f@cked. Wave, was more of a collaboration tool than social network, and Orkut? WTF is Orkut?! :grin:

If anyone can't signup through the link above and wants an invite PM me your gmail address and I'll send an invite (can take up to 12 hours apparently).

EDIT: It can also link with twitter, linkedin, Facebook, Flickr etc etc so you can have them all in one place. You can't manage them from there yet though, just link to them. Need a proper look at what that means tomorrow.

i think Google's business philosophy is that if you throw enough sh!t eventually something will stick... and if they can't make it work then no one else can

every dog has its day

look whats come and gone

compuserve
myspace
bebo
facebook?

time for something new (and productive)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2011, 08:47 »
but keep up jay, elvi had this posted up on facebook ages ago  :laugh:

team circle anyone  :smug:

Offline Jack3559

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2011, 13:26 »
Google+ has logical privacy settings too.

I can see it being far more popular with teenagers.