Author Topic: Removed EGR and inlet today ....  (Read 11630 times)

Offline yourloveismydrug

• Not said much yet
Removed EGR and inlet today ....
« on: 12 May 2012, 19:40 »
My Mrs has been having a few issues with her tdi 150 since she got it .   Every now and then when she wellies it it goes into limp mode .  It happened a couple of times the 1st week or so but I gave it a service put some fuel additive through it and all was good but recently its started again . it is very intermittent , I can take it out and thrash it and it wont happen then the next day it will out of the blue .

This leads me to think it is sticky VNT rather than N75 or vac pipes as I would expect those to happen all the time.

Has been a little sluggish low down in  the revs to so today I thought cheapish and simplist options first .

Vac pipes replaced , EGR inspected , MAP and MAF sensored looked at/cleaned ...

Not nice at all , also not as straightforward as I thought , Not complicated but damm awkward .
Glad I have a very well equipped tool chest with plenty of extra long extensions and UJs etc.

will clean them out tomorrow and refit , have some silicone hose for the vac pipes , need a new inlet manifold gasket and new MAF (although that will wait until I have done all this , I will also clean out the whole intake system and run some some more FORTE additive through ..

I will post more pics tomorrow , anyone planning on doing this wants to let me know what pics they would like BEFORE I do it .

just one question , what symptoms would you expect from the above ???

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Re: Removed EGR and inlet today ....
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2012, 19:47 »
That is a pretty dire state of a EGR/manifold you have there  :sad:

You will notice a big difference when that is all cleaned out I'd say! Get some Mr muscle spray foam stuff, works a real treat! Try not to get that crap on your hands, very tough to wash off! :smiley:

Symptoms I'd say, sluggish to get going and poor MPG. All that carbon build up probably wouldn't have much to do with a sticky VNT, you would have to de clog the turbo to cure that. Innotec that bad boy! Why do you say you need a new MAF? Try a known working one first, see how she drives.

Offline yourloveismydrug

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2012, 20:03 »
embarrassed to say its been on my to do list for months , new it needed it , personally I think EGR when left on should be inspected and cleaned if needed every six months ,I have removed the EGR valves from every diesel I have ever owned prior to this with nothing but good benefits , just gotten lazy lately  :sad:

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2012, 20:05 »
Don't forget that crap is from like 100K I guess, shouldn't need doing for atleast 20k I'd say!

Offline yourloveismydrug

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2012, 20:08 »
I did the EGR on a 130 mondeo tdci with 60k on  it which was a lot worse and used for long commutes ... 

Offline yourloveismydrug

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2012, 22:32 »
put it all back , replaced all the vac hoses for silicone ones and fitted a new MAF and WOW what a difference her indoors is well chuffed ...

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2012, 06:58 »
put it all back , replaced all the vac hoses for silicone ones and fitted a new MAF and WOW what a difference her indoors is well chuffed ...

Top draw. When the MAF is even slightly knackered replacing it makes a huge difference! :smiley:

Offline postie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2012, 07:06 »
just asking but how much are MAF's and should i get one from vw, as for cleaning the egr i have not done it on my 130 and it has got 146k on the clock, maybe i should  get someone to clean mine out as i'm not very good at these things.
2001 130 tdi.

Offline yourloveismydrug

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2012, 11:15 »
MAF is aboyt £55 to £60 for a genuine bosch one aslong as you dont go to  the main stealers .   do it yourself , not complicated although a bit awkward but a good way to learn about your car and save money ...

it has mad a diffence to how the car starts in the morning (better and quieter) it runs smoother now and pulls better and the new MAF was just the icing on the cake

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2012, 15:02 »
MAF is aboyt £55 to £60 for a genuine bosch one aslong as you dont go to  the main stealers .   do it yourself , not complicated although a bit awkward but a good way to learn about your car and save money ...

it has mad a diffence to how the car starts in the morning (better and quieter) it runs smoother now and pulls better and the new MAF was just the icing on the cake

Where did you get yours from  :shocked:

I paid £80~ I think from GSF on an exchange basis! f**king joke!