Author Topic: Handing a car back  (Read 8658 times)

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
Re: Handing a car back
« Reply #60 on: 27 August 2021, 02:06 »
All of the reviews say the Mazda 3 is a well built car. They also say the engine isn't great.

2.5 litres and 180bhp but still slower than a GTD and only manual.

Tech looks a bit retro even vs the Mk7.5 too.

I think the exterior looks nice though.

Our Mazda has more tech than my 7.5 GTI, Fred.  And it all works flawlessly, unlike the mk8 Golfs.  The fact it is "retro" was a big draw to us - we prefer a user-friendly conventional driver interface, and deliberately sought this out, consequently discounting the mk8 Golf.  However, I'm unsure how our Astina model aligns with what the UK gets in terms of equipment, though.  Maybe you only get the more downmarket models?  Our Astina is loaded.

And the 139kw/252nm 2.5 is enough for us.  It actually feels more responsive than my GTI - the 2.5's NA throttle has none of the GTI's delays, dead travel and (to me at least) frustrating throttle mapping (praise the Lord for pedal tuners).  Ultimate performance would be down on the GTI once the VW's throttle mapping is past the delays, but for everyday driving the Mazda is a more satisfyingly responsive experience.

« Last Edit: 28 August 2021, 04:45 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 28 August 2021, 08:30 »

This is the colour and model we went for.    https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-reviews/2019-mazda-3-astina-g25-review

Does UK get the new 2.0 SkyActiv-X engine?  If so, that would be a good Golf alternative.

UK gets

2.0 e-Skyactiv G 122/213
2.0 e-Skyactiv X 186/240 (with an auto option)

With the top spec, GT Sport Tech having "everything" electric seats, Bose, 360 camera, radar, HUD etc

Plus points

+ Interior quality the best of any hatch
+ Retro control with minimal touch interfaces
+ Best seats in class (except 7.5 buckets)

From reviews

+ Handling and steering
+ Economy
- Rear vision

OK, it slower than a Golf. When I have to replace my retro MK6 I will be looking at a 2017-ish A3 or Mazda 3 from 2020.

I would say go and sit in one, you'll be surprised.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2021, 08:34 by david25 »
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #62 on: 28 August 2021, 10:19 »

I would say go and sit in one, you'll be surprised.
[/quote]

I second that sentiment.

Top spec SkyAtiv-x would be the one to go for, IMO.

Edit: Geez, I can't quote to save myself!
« Last Edit: 28 August 2021, 10:31 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #63 on: 30 August 2021, 15:57 »
I’d rather by a big standard VW up than a Mazda of any kind  :wink:

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #64 on: 30 August 2021, 19:18 »
No idea when finance is involved, but my nephew had some problems with a new C220d he bought and they ended up changing the car for a new one for him

MK7 GTi

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
« Reply #65 on: 01 September 2021, 21:36 »
I’d love to hand my mk8 GTD back.
10k miles over 5 months and I hate it.
Loved my 7.5 GTD, but this mk8 is awful.

It’s been back to the dealers half a dozen times.
The tech is glitchy as hell, it rattles and squeaks like a 10yr old fiat and it just feels cheap.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 03 September 2021, 14:41 »
I’d rather by a big standard VW up than a Mazda of any kind  :wink:

A dirt cheap RX8 aka a ticking time bomb seems like a good investment  :wink:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline wizzywig27

• Not said much yet
« Reply #67 on: 06 September 2021, 10:36 »
I mean you just cannot make this sh!t up. Car was handed back on the 27th. VW were aware of the rejection so apparently put a block on my payment leaving my account on the 31st August. I didn't know this so called on the 31st asking why they've not taken the payment and was advised that 'as it was a bank holiday its probably delayed and we will probably take it tomorrow' - needless to say they didn't.

Fast forward a week and I am getting text messages asking me to call them to discuss my outstanding payment (system obviously doesn't recognise the 18 calls I made last week trying to resolve this).

I have never been treat so badly by a company - I am lost for words. Due to be picking up the new car on Friday and that was agreed on the caveat that my finance is settled - well it isn't (yet) and now I have a late payment marker to boot - no idea if they will agree the finance now.  :angry: