Author Topic: Gas bonnet strut anyone?  (Read 5237 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Gas bonnet strut anyone?
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2021, 19:22 »
I've only opened the bonnet on my MK7.5 twice since I've had it and that's to top up the washer fluid, my engineering skills end there.

So if you're not going to use it, why are you bothered?
I didn't say I was bothered but why are you bothered that I might be bothered?

Now you've mentioned it; I'd be bothered for the forty thousand pound cost and the the fact that the part has got the necessary infrastructure in place to put a gas strut in place instead of substituting it for a cheaper alternative but honestly I'm not bothered now I've thought even more about it.
Have a nice day. :smiley:

Re-read your own post, I didn't quote it all but it does come across as being bothered about it! I'm not bothered as to whether or not you are bothered but I bothered to ask why your seemed bothered :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2021, 21:33 »
If you watch the video while the guy is closing the bonnet after completing the install, you can see that the strut is going to end up clashing with the coolant header tank. VW possibly raised the design position of the header tank after the gas strut was deleted. The gas strut is flexible enough to bend over the header tank, but that bending will cause it to fail quickly and it will be rubbing the header tank which may result in a leak.

A bit more research needed on this mod!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline massimo23

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2021, 00:16 »
I was messing with this for a few days and I asked myself is it really worth the hassle to install this when I open the bonnet a couple times a year? Then what if something gets damaged? What about the insurance, could this cause problems if you had a frontal accident? Remember the crash tests have been done without the gas strut. So I went with option Forget about it :laugh:

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 13 August 2021, 18:11 »
Has any one fitted a gas strut without the complication of the compromise on the  coolant tank?

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2021, 01:06 »
Has any one fitted a gas strut without the complication of the compromise on the  coolant tank?

There are a few people on vwroc that have done it. Not sure if it’s the same.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 14 August 2021, 12:11 »
Kristian Kassinen <sales@darkicedesigns.com>
Fri 13/08/2021 20:18
Hi,

The kit used to touch the top of the coolant tank. We now have a spacer block they moves the strut away from the coolant tank.  If anyone has an original kit please can you let them know to get in touch with us and we will send out a spacer to them :)

Thanks,
Kristian

Team @ Dark Ice Designs mobile

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 14 August 2021, 12:50 »
This is good to know. Thanks for posting.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 14 August 2021, 21:45 »
Isn't the coolant tank on the other side on the clubby? Seem to remember that from the volkswizard video about the gti vs the clubby.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 15 August 2021, 08:41 »
The Clubsport and the R are on opposite sides I think(?)
I’m sure the Clubsport and S3 share a similar layout but the R is different. Can’t quite remember now, my memory is getting shaky! Funny, I can remember detail differences on mk2 Golfs from 30 years ago but can’t remember anything recent  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 15 August 2021, 09:06 »
The Clubsport and the R are on opposite sides I think(?)
I’m sure the Clubsport and S3 share a similar layout but the R is different. Can’t quite remember now, my memory is getting shaky! Funny, I can remember detail differences on mk2 Golfs from 30 years ago but can’t remember anything recent  :grin:

That makes sense as there’s been no problems reported on there about fitting.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.