Author Topic: HID lights - where can I get replacements?  (Read 510 times)

Offline Mooby

• GTI forum regular
HID lights - where can I get replacements?
« on: 11 March 2008, 19:44 »
the Driver's side dipped headlight on my passat has died.  It's got the optional HID light kit, so I was going to swap the bulbs over tonight to try to see if it was the bulb or the ballast, but when I removed the plug for the dodgy light it looks rather melted around the contacts...  So I'm guessing it's probably a new bulb and ballast now...

I've looked all over the place for a straight OEM replacement.  I don't particularly want to get a cheap one from Hong kong on Ebay, but I can't find anywhere that will just sell a straight swap one... and I have a feeling that if I have to get a new bulb and ballast from VW I may as well buy some complete new headlight units which use normal bulbs or something  :laugh:

So anyone know where I can buy one - or can anyone recommend a cheap but decent kit that I could fit fairly easily?  If a new kit, then I guess I'll have to replace both sides....

Oh, and I need to do this pronto!  Got pulled for not having a headlight on Friday, so I need to get it fixed within the next 4-5 days or so to make sure I can get the thing posted back to them!
Sold the VR6... Now officially An Old Man With A Passat Estate.  At least it's a 1.8T :grin:

Offline Mooby

• GTI forum regular
Re: HID lights - where can I get replacements?
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2008, 14:47 »
Never mind, After a bit of testing I managed to figure out that it's the bulb  - The Connector is a bit melted but it still works on the nearside bulb so I'll live with it and just stick a new bulb in.

Found a pair of bulbs on ebay for £35 which look ok, should get them tomorrow so I should get it all sorted in time. :smiley:

While I'm here, if anyone wants a good condition Mk3 VR6, check out my Thread in the for sale section....
Sold the VR6... Now officially An Old Man With A Passat Estate.  At least it's a 1.8T :grin: