Author Topic: Clipper let me down in rush hr traffic..  (Read 509 times)

Offline RIPP3Y

• GTI forum regular
Clipper let me down in rush hr traffic..
« on: 04 September 2007, 19:08 »
Where to start from

J reg clipper
                       Auto choke carb (pierburg) never let me down.
                       Fuel filler neck has looked better (corosion).

The car has been stood for a week, drove to work fine then total loss of power half way home from work.  No probs to start her up but only moved 2-3 yards then loss of power again.  I then let it rest for 10 mins and then managed to drive 100 yards until loss of power.
     Never had to deal with a head gasket before so could some1 rule this out plz.......
      Could it be that moisture has settled in the dissy cap?
      Could it be sh!t in the fuel line?

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: Clipper let me down in rush hr traffic..
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2007, 09:09 »
It wouldn't cut out necessarily if it was the headgasket, you would just see the temp gauge hit the roof in about 5 minutes and then maybe burst a hose and see loads of steam if you kept it running. So if it's not over heating then I'd rule out head gasket. Mayo in the oil may be head gasket failure but can also just be moisture. Check your header tank too to see if it's got oil in it.

Could be the dizzy, just get a new rotor arm from GSF, they are only a few quid but as you've said the filler neck is corroded then I'm guessing that you've got rust particles in your fuel lines. You haven't recently run the fuel down to the minimum have you ? That's usually when stuff like this happens as it sucks up all the sh1te in from the bottom of the tank, including all the rust from the filler neck. If it's this you'll need to get the fuel system flushed out somehow.
......now officially dubless.

Offline RIPP3Y

• GTI forum regular
Re: Clipper let me down in rush hr traffic..
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2007, 00:02 »
i dont mind gettin my hands dirty but i will start with the dizzy 1st tho :grin:.  cheers m8ee :wink: