Author Topic: Mk3 1.4 upgrades  (Read 508 times)

Offline frog

• Here all the time
Mk3 1.4 upgrades
« on: 14 June 2007, 13:19 »
I own a 1.4 CL 5 speed ABD and to be honest i want more horses.
I know most people will say 'Sell it and buy a Gti, VR6 etc etc' but no one wants to buy it so it seems im stuck with it, therefore what can be done to gain extra BHP?
Would exhausts/air filters change anything?
Will any different heads fit?
Can i change anything else? Maybe carbs? dizzy?
Please help as im getting fed up

Offline Rmachines

• I live here
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
Re: Mk3 1.4 upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2007, 22:37 »
Its not carb, its Single point injection, so nothing you can do there

You can fork out a fortune on exhausts, K&Ns and all sorts and never see any real diffrence.   
I suppose if you K&N it, SS Zaust and header,  and only run on 97, then advance the timing to suit, you will see a bit of an increase.

I think you have to accept you have a 1.4L engine and its the best it can do.

Unless you are going to pay £2000+ For full rebuilds and turbo kits, your not going to see much of a power increase.  If you want to go down the custom turbo route, the car wouldn't exactly be a daily run around, and the chances are the engine would blow if you drove it hard anyway

I hope that kinda helps, I'm afraid the only way to see more power realistically is to change the engine.
If your like me you will faff about with little upgrades like performance spark plugs etc... which you May notice a tiny diffrence, but you will be used to it within 10 mins of driving and it will seem slow again.
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Mk3 1.4 upgrades
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2007, 10:12 »
a polo gt cam will pep it up a bit :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.