Author Topic: HID and the law.. (they are illegal)  (Read 13128 times)

Offline harlemex

• I live here
HID and the law.. (they are illegal)
« on: 17 July 2009, 22:34 »
I am finally considering hids and projector headlights and despite reading through the threads on here I am still confused as too the legality of them. I know you should use projectors so that you dont blind anybody, but I've read that not only do you need headlamp washers, but you need self leveling lights too(or self leveling suspension) for them to be legal and you risk invalidating insurance aswell.
  Does anyone know the exact facts? Cheers guys.
« Last Edit: 30 December 2009, 17:31 by Shady Pioneer »

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: HID and the law..
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2009, 22:57 »
it's a grey area but hid's should have self levelling on them for the m.o.t, and most mk3's don't have this as std, but some m.o.t men won't check that bit
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2009, 23:31 »
I believe they are now illegal, you may also get issues if your stopped.

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2009, 00:04 »
If you get them and you are stopped, just say you didn't know as you bought the kit online and it said it was legal on projector headlights, depending on if you get stopped locally or not, local, then take them off or risk getting fined, not local, keep them on and f**k 'em lol!

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2009, 00:14 »
I was running 8000k HID's in Projectors for about 3 months and never had any problems with the police. Was even stopped once or twice regarding other matters and they weren't mentioned :)
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2009, 00:39 »
it's a grey area but hid's should have self levelling on them for the m.o.t, and most mk3's don't have this as std, but some m.o.t men won't check that bit

I asked the MOT tester while he was doing my car about my HIDs and the only condition they have to meat is that the produce the correct beam.

It passed with the HIDs on the car.

Down Hill From Here.

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2009, 01:57 »
I've passed the last 2 yrs with them in no issues at all.. and i dont have projectors...
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

ianw3321

« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2009, 09:26 »
Apart from the law how much of an improvment do you get over halogens?

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2009, 10:58 »
Apart from the law how much of an improvment do you get over halogens?

Alot of improvement.

Down Hill From Here.

ianw3321

« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2009, 11:19 »
Ive heard that they are slow to heat up, not really a problem with the gti I suppose as the dipped stays on as the main heats up but may be a prob on other golfs with h4s.