Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2787624 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5480 on: 07 October 2016, 20:50 »
Thanks Rebecca, always meant to spec the Prets and got talked out of it by the dealer as I didn't want the DCC.

Driven about 80 miles on the bigger wheels today and I can honestly say I can't feel the ride being any worse than on the 18" wheels. Our previous Fiesta ST was horrendous by comparison  :rolleyes:

I really don't think DCC is necessary with 19s unless you have back issues or something like that.  I have DCC but never have it in Comfort.  Usually either left in Normal but often have it in Sport.  I'd happily skip DCC.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5481 on: 08 October 2016, 05:14 »
Looking good Phil!  :cool:
Love the colour contrast of the darker Prets :afro:

Looking at the side on shot of your 3 door car shows what a sharp design the mk7 is and it still looks fresh after nearly 4 years in production.
« Last Edit: 08 October 2016, 05:17 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5482 on: 08 October 2016, 09:37 »
Very pleased is an understatement :smiley:

Wow !!!
If I have another one this has now confirmed what colour R I am having  :cool:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #5483 on: 08 October 2016, 20:10 »
Today (yesterday) I sold it  :cry:

Tomorrow I pick up this  :cool:

Update. Well after a week of having it I can safely say I can't wait to remap it. Because it's slow? Hell no, it's fooking scarily fast, the problem is that it's too good. Mad you say? Maybe, but I was stage 2 on the Gti, it was a hilarious handful. This is too well made, it's my first awd and dsg so that may be the problem but tbh, I'm not as excited driving this as I was the golf, just scared lol.

Interior is excellent, carbon fibre not sure if it's fake but it's so much easier to keep clean than piano black that was in the golf.

Brakes are bloody amazing, makes the golfs feel like milk bottle caps. And the engine sings all the way to 6.5k before shifting with a massive crackle so I enjoy that, but going back to my earlier point of being scared, that's because if you ain't going full choke then it's a bit dull.

So in a nutshell, amazing feat of engineering, lacks a bit of soul. But I'll soon fix that with a decent tune ;)
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5484 on: 08 October 2016, 22:24 »
I know where you're coming from Graham.
These latest breed of uber hatches are generally 2.0 turbos which means they need to be really thrashed to get the best out of them. A side effect of having to have pretty big turbos to give them the lungs but they still need to meet emissions regulations so are leaned off through the mid range.
I felt the same about the R.

I normally have a golden rule, never buy a car with more BHP/PS than the lb ft torque peak figure. I generally find a car with a BHP figure numerically higher than the lb ft peak figure is a bit flat in the mid range and does its thing all up top. Fine on a race track or if your life involves getting all frothed up over Evo tests. A car with a higher lb ft figure than BHP will generally give you a kick in the back in the mid range which I personally find more fun, more characterful and far more practical in real life driving. Oh, and the latter are often better on fuel too, probably as a consequence of needing fewer revs on the dial to provide thrust.
Yes, they won't be as fast in extremis but hey ho, I just find them more fun in real life motoring.

Again, that's why I'm not overly keen on DSG. It tries too hard to keep the engine in a certain band and can actually take a lot of feel out of the motor.

Not that modern low pressure turbo motors have much feel.

Which brings me on to why I modify them. Far more important to me than the extra BHP peak figure is the added boost on the middle of the Rev range. It gives the engine character and the car gains much more useful real world performance for when you want to get between two points quickly without risking your licence to get a buzz.

So, not too long after I got my R I fitted a JB1.
It now makes a really good car a great car.
The only downside is that because of the huge torque I tend to drive it like a diesel as anything over 4000rpm is in silly speed territory once you're out of the first two gears (which are quite low).

Yes, now I have a car I drive like a fast Diesel that does 28mpg average!!
Guess what my next car will be?
I don't need 170 mph capability but I do want an Exocet missile's mid range thrust...

Once that A45 has a tuning box it'll be absolutely ballistic Graham.
So get it run in ASAP!
I do love the noise those cars make.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2016, 09:30 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5485 on: 08 October 2016, 22:29 »
Thanks Rebecca, always meant to spec the Prets and got talked out of it by the dealer as I didn't want the DCC.

Driven about 80 miles on the bigger wheels today and I can honestly say I can't feel the ride being any worse than on the 18" wheels. Our previous Fiesta ST was horrendous by comparison  :rolleyes:

I did worry I would regret not adding DCC when getting the Prets because I disliked the Cadiz so much. The GTD on 18" wheels  rode far better than the MK5/6 Golf on 17"/18" wheels, so I was expecting the ride to be a little harsher but still better than the previous model. The ride comfort between 18" Nogaros on the GTD and 19" Prets on the R is negligible. I'd say it is a noticeably more knobbly below 10mph, but above that there's no loss of comfort.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #5486 on: 09 October 2016, 06:59 »
Update. Well after a week of having it I can safely say I can't wait to remap it. Because it's slow? Hell no, it's fooking scarily fast, the problem is that it's too good. Mad you say? Maybe, but I was stage 2 on the Gti, it was a hilarious handful. This is too well made, it's my first awd and dsg so that may be the problem but tbh, I'm not as excited driving this as I was the golf, just scared lol.

Can completely relate to this, my previous MK6 GTi with Revo stage 2 was far more exciting to drive (intake/TBE/remap) than my current R due to it making all the right noises and the way the FWD struggled with the power.

Like Andy says you need to give them a little spice which they seem to be lacking from the showroom. There is a build thread on PH (green wrapped A45) and it sounded as though his car was an absolute animal...good luck  :evil: :evil:
« Last Edit: 09 October 2016, 16:19 by Raffe »
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #5487 on: 09 October 2016, 14:03 »
Gave it a wash and a coat of C2v3.
Treated the tyres with Alchem Hi shine.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/139403774@N05/p54vM9
https://www.flickr.com/gp/139403774@N05/8v9929
https://www.flickr.com/gp/139403774@N05/d8663j
https://www.flickr.com/gp/139403774@N05/JV8u12
Managed to forget how to post pictures on here properly :embarrassed: :rolleyes:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #5488 on: 09 October 2016, 16:22 »
Picked it up from the detailers on Friday and taken took it for a drive to get some photographs before it goes up for sale next week, did a great job and put on a show wax

Have to admit I have reached the point I am glad to see it go as I am just getting fed up of the sight of them now, ironically popped round to see a friend who has the wife's Pirelli and was more smitten

It does look stunning and is tucked away

Offline Mrparkuk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5489 on: 09 October 2016, 16:25 »
Had a ride out to a BMW dealer and had a second testdrive in an M140i. Oh dear. Had a blast to and from there in my GTI pp. Superb car. I must be mental to consider swapping.

Discuss. :cool:
Current-Jan 2017 M140i, auto. Mineral Grey. ☠😈

Gone-mk7 golf Gti PP, Carbon Grey, 2015 specification, 5dr.