Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2787667 times)

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #3340 on: 21 November 2015, 17:14 »
My filthy R sits neglected while the wife's A1 gets 1/2 a day's graft lavished on it.

Swapped the 16" wheels on it with the recently acquired set of new 15" winter wheels with Michelin Alpin tyres.

Had to wrap the VW centre caps with a gun metal vinyl that looks exactly like the Audi centre caps. Audi don't do 15" winter wheels apparently,  even for the A1, and the 16"ers have a bigger diameter centre cap  :angry:. Ended up being far cheaper, the little bit of wrap I needed cost £1.88 delivered through Ebay.

Before putting the wheels on, they got a front and back coating of C2V3, then I washed the A1 all round and gave it another coat of C2V3. Had to pull everything out of the shed and rearrange to accommodate the A1's 16" wheels.

I then looked at my car and decided that I couldn't be arsed to wash mine, I needed to let my hands warm up again (2.5C up here today - by far the coldest it's been since last Winter).

I couldn't even be bothered to take a pic of the shiny A1.

Busy day - can you apply C2V3 at those low temps, does it 'go off' ok?

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #3341 on: 21 November 2015, 17:33 »
Fitted the S2T paddles - B3's in polished black. 

An absolute doddle to fit, took only 5 mins.  Extremely pleased with them, look like they belong and how it should've come out of the factory.  Feel lovely to use, very tactile and the extended length gives a feeling of greater control.  Quality is excellent.  Pricy but well worth the money.  :cool:

They look really smart! Wouldn't mind a set myself tbh but the only thing that puts me off is i like the way the factory ones light up and think i'd miss it with these?  :undecided:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3342 on: 21 November 2015, 19:49 »
My filthy R sits neglected while the wife's A1 gets 1/2 a day's graft lavished on it.

Swapped the 16" wheels on it with the recently acquired set of new 15" winter wheels with Michelin Alpin tyres.

Had to wrap the VW centre caps with a gun metal vinyl that looks exactly like the Audi centre caps. Audi don't do 15" winter wheels apparently,  even for the A1, and the 16"ers have a bigger diameter centre cap  :angry:. Ended up being far cheaper, the little bit of wrap I needed cost £1.88 delivered through Ebay.

Before putting the wheels on, they got a front and back coating of C2V3, then I washed the A1 all round and gave it another coat of C2V3. Had to pull everything out of the shed and rearrange to accommodate the A1's 16" wheels.

I then looked at my car and decided that I couldn't be arsed to wash mine, I needed to let my hands warm up again (2.5C up here today - by far the coldest it's been since last Winter).

Busy day - can you apply C2V3 at those low temps, does it 'go off' ok?

Seemed fine (I gave it a bit more drying time than normal - the time it took me to swap the wheels over - about 1/2 an hour), and the new wheels got done indoors, after i'd washed the car and needed my icy cold hands to warm up. The whole car has that "teflon" feel.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3343 on: 21 November 2015, 19:58 »
Fitted the S2T paddles - B3's in polished black. 

An absolute doddle to fit, took only 5 mins.  Extremely pleased with them, look like they belong and how it should've come out of the factory.  Feel lovely to use, very tactile and the extended length gives a feeling of greater control.  Quality is excellent.  Pricy but well worth the money.  :cool:

They look really smart! Wouldn't mind a set myself tbh but the only thing that puts me off is i like the way the factory ones light up and think i'd miss it with these?  :undecided:

I did wonder that but out in the car tonight, I did not for a second miss the lit up bit.  The polished black catches the interior light nicely at night which might make up for the lack of lit +/- symbols?

I'm also really glad I picked the glossy black shifters.  I ummed and ahhed over whether to go for black, silver or the greyish ones, but I didn't want them to stand out as such.  The black perfectly compliments the piano gloss black trim and they look oem even though they are not.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #3344 on: 21 November 2015, 20:01 »

[/quote]

I only noticed on Thursday night that the paddles light up, 3 weeks after picking it up :embarrassed:
So I doubt I would miss it tbh.

They look excellent Rebecca, I'm gonna show these to the wife later as she's struggling as to what to get me for Christmas :wink:
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3345 on: 21 November 2015, 20:22 »

Ah the joy of winter detailing.  None for me today but not looking forward to the freezing hands syndrome that comes with winter washing. Bit warmer here at 4°C. Snow had been forecast but just icy rain instead. Still want some snow though.

« Last Edit: 21 November 2015, 20:24 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3346 on: 21 November 2015, 20:34 »
I only noticed on Thursday night that the paddles light up, 3 weeks after picking it up :embarrassed:
So I doubt I would miss it tbh.

They look excellent Rebecca, I'm gonna show these to the wife later as she's struggling as to what to get me for Christmas :wink:

Yeah I'd much rather have the improved functionality of the longer paddles than a couple of fairy lights. And they look so much better.  Also they are more versatile in terms of usage/paddle flicking, depending on your preference.  On the B3 style I got there's a deep groove running the length of the back of the paddle which perfectly fits the resting fingers and gives you more options for how to 'flick' or 'tap'.

They are excellent quality Ian, would make a great Christmas present.  They also come rather nicely presented in a black box with pink padding, a bit like jewellery for cars.  :laugh:  I'm sure you know that there's a group buy link that was posted up on vwroc, which brings the price down by $50.  Here it is http://www.s2tpp.com/GroupBuy.html  Just place your order as normal selecting your chosen style and finish. Delivery from the US was super quick.  I ordered mine on a Friday evening and they were here on the following Weds so only took 4 days to come (2 working days in fact)!  Not cheap but you get what you pay for.   :smiley:
« Last Edit: 21 November 2015, 20:48 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #3347 on: 22 November 2015, 18:22 »
Planned to give mine a decent bit of tlc but that got cut short when I couldn't feel the tips of my fingers. It was chuffing cold out yesterday. So all it got was a quick wash and a bit of tyre gel to try and fool everyone !! I can see me posting in the dirty Mk7 thread before too long  :whistle:

Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline caprigreen

• Here all the time
« Reply #3348 on: 22 November 2015, 18:57 »
Planned to give mine a decent bit of tlc but that got cut short when I couldn't feel the tips of my fingers. It was chuffing cold out yesterday. So all it got was a quick wash and a bit of tyre gel to try and fool everyone !! I can see me posting in the dirty Mk7 thread before too long  :whistle:

Wow that looks stunning, I have always maintain it has to be a  GTI for me but that colour could almost temp me over to the ... rapid side ..... known as .....the mighty R  :smiley:
64 plate VW Golf GTI PP Pure white
1991 VW Golf GTI 8v Silver, 30k miles

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #3349 on: 22 November 2015, 19:59 »

B..e..a..utiful :grin:
Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)