Author Topic: An Extra £400 for alloys?!  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Tom H

• Here all the time
  • Previously board-stupid! :D
An Extra £400 for alloys?!
« on: 20 May 2008, 11:41 »
Well re-newal time has come around - but as I'll be changing my car when this policies up I decided the renewal was good only for toilet paper and started looking for a new quote!

At renewal time I'm going to be ditching my current mk3 8v daily and moving into my nice shiney new VR6 - so I did the usual and looked on confused.com, and found the cheapest quotes around the £900 mark!  :shocked: I was kinda surprised, but though I'd see how much of a differnce it might make if I put the standard alloys back on and it dropped to around £500!! Is that much of a jump normal for just adding alloys?! (I just ammedned the previous quote by the way, so all the other details were identical)

I called the HIC renewal line, explained everything, and their quote, with the alloys was again around £900...without the wheels - over £1000!! That got me wondering, does it sound like the renewal line was cheking all the possible companies and contracts (or whatever they're called) or just the same one that I had previously with new details?

If these prices seem high anyway - I'm told the prices are inflated because I have an unresolved claim, and when it's resolved as a non-fault claim (which it should) the price will drop significantly, and I can get a refund on the difference - so hopefuly that'll come through quite quickly now and help me out, but I could still do with shelling out as little as possible in the mean time!

Also - is there any kind of "theft only" policy that I can insure my VR6 on until the new policy starts? I'm just thinking that it's going to be sitting on my drive for the next couple of weeks, uninsured as it won't be moving, but I'm slightly worried that some toerag might have it away on thier toes with it and leave me with nothing!

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: An Extra £400 for alloys?!
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2008, 11:47 »
I can't help you on the 1st bit but deffo get the VR insured. I had my 1st MKII stolen while it was on my folks driveway and uninsured. I regret it to this day, car was worth about £3K back in then.

Nick

Offline Tom H

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2008, 11:55 »
I can't help you on the 1st bit but deffo get the VR insured. I had my 1st MKII stolen while it was on my folks driveway and uninsured. I regret it to this day, car was worth about £3K back in then.

Nick

Yeah that's what I was thinking, happened to a amate of mine as well (although it was a fiesta so no great loss! :grin:) But do you know if there's any kind of special policy to cover this - or would I need to get a full policy as that's gunna cost a few quid, granted not as much as getting the car nicked, but still!

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2008, 12:02 »
I think you can get policies that cover "Projects" that would do. I tried claiming on my folks house insurance and it looked like for a while it was a goer but in the end they ruled against me.

Nick

Offline Tom H

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2008, 12:20 »
Another insurance company just called me to say they could get the quote down to around £1300  :rolleyes: - yeah thanks guys! But while they were on they I asked them, and the girl told me that although they don't do them I need to be looking for a laid up policy - so at least I know what I'm looking for on that now!

Thanks Nick

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2008, 13:07 »
£400 for alloys sounds right to me. I'm paying an extra £150 for a set of BBS rims from a Polo on my Golf, if I wanted aftermarket rims like Wolfrace for example, they were talking about £350 +!!!! I mean come on!

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2008, 13:23 »
Makes me wonder how many people actually do claim that they have alloys :undecided:

Offline Tom H

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2008, 13:43 »
Makes me wonder how many people actually do claim that they have alloys :undecided:

I wondered that too, especially as most insurers out right refused to insure me with them!

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2008, 15:01 »
Yer my mates got alloys on his  :sick:1.2 corsa:sick: and they wouldnt even touch him until he's 25!

Offline Tom H

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2008, 15:10 »
These people are starting to scare me now!! One just called me and started asking the usual questions

"Do you have any extra security fitted"

"yeah a Thatchams 1 approved alarm and immobaliser"

"OK, I can't find one that one on the system - how do you spell Thatchams?"  

"Me, err actually it's made by Clifford"

:shocked: Ok so you're working in car insurance and you don't know about Thatchams?!

Been getting calls all day of idiots who want to waste my time on the phone just to give me rediculous quotes, sometimes over £2000!! You've got my details, if you can't be competative don't bother calling!!  :angry:

Sorry - that didn't really need to be here but I felt the need to vent a little!!