Author Topic: Car stolen this morning gutted  (Read 15388 times)

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
Re: Car stolen this morning gutted
« Reply #30 on: 26 January 2011, 15:11 »
Sorry to hear!!

the revo switch also comes with function allowing you to disable the car from starting, key or no key.  :smiley: worth considering  :wink:

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #31 on: 26 January 2011, 15:25 »
Have read many comments previously about break ins and took the advice off one of my neighbours who is a policeman to leave keys downstairs where they can be found. I woke up and was aware what was happening. Decided to let them help themselves. It all happened within the space of 30 seconds which really doesn't give you a lot of time to wake up! Its been a traumatic experience but at least everyone is ok and I insurance should cover everything.

I'm not sure how things will play out with GAP. Because the car is so new the insurance company said I could possibly qualify for replacement new car. However not sure if I'm comfortable with that yet. I really am hoping the car isn't located as it will never seem the same.

When we got burgled a few years ago they kicked the door in also. We were out at the time and had not double locked the door and therefore although the door was locked on the latch the top, bottom and middle dead locks were not engaged. I've always wondered if the door was double locked that night if they would have been able to kick it in? What type of door and lock have you got?

Its a horrible experience mate and we lost some valuable and Sentimantal Jewellery. My Mrs is still on edge and has never felt completly comfortable in the house since.

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 26 January 2011, 15:32 »
When we got burgled a few years ago they kicked the door in also. We were out at the time and had not double locked the door and therefore although the door was locked on the latch the top, bottom and middle dead locks were not engaged. I've always wondered if the door was double locked that night if they would have been able to kick it in? What type of door and lock have you got?
Its a horrible experience mate and we lost some valuable and Sentimantal Jewellery. My Mrs is still on edge and has never felt completly comfortable in the house since.

The front doors in most UK homes are useless and can be kicked in even by the weakest person. Whether you double lock or not will make no difference.
Why don't people invest in decent home security to avoid such disturbing occurrences? The integrity of the front door is paramount. Better believe it.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #33 on: 26 January 2011, 16:30 »
Sickening.

Hope it gets sorted out soon.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline map541

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 26 January 2011, 16:43 »
The door itself was fine. Its actually a hardwood door but fronted with metal inside and out so very solid. The weakpoint was the frame where the locks engaged into. This just shattered away. I guess they will always find the weak point in your house. I spent quite a bit of money ensuring they could get round to the back of the property.

I dont know if the Revo disable button is good or bad? Would they not just come and beat the crap out of you until you told them what to do? I was told by the police about a device that disables the car after it has gone a mile - any one seen this in action?
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 16:49 by map541 »

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 26 January 2011, 17:34 »
Hi folks,

Had some visitors at 2 am this morning. Smashed in the front door and stole my Gti. Have only had it since September and done 2500 miles so really gutted. They reversed it off the drive into my neighbours car so have probably damaged the rear end. Coppers spotted it nearby but lost it in the chase. Can't believe the audacity of these people. Car was a White GTI stolen in the Coventry area.

I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your car. I'd be absolutely gutted but on the positive side as everyone has said, your family are safe and your insurance should cover the replacement.

I park outside my house on street. My front door is fortified with a steel frame so kicking it in or smashing the lock will take some doing. I also alarm the downstairs part of the house at night. My keys are upstairs and I'm hoping that they'll give up at the front door and if they don't, the noise plus the alarm siren will have drawn so much attention that they'd have to be stupid to persist as the alarm is police activated if I hadn't called the cops first. I debated whether it was worth parking away from my place but it only takes someone watching your movements over a course of days to figure out which house to go for and if you're targeted, there isn't much you can do.

While not in this country, the last time someone tried to steal my car (in Africa), they got a bullet in their leg and then were dragged off into police custody. It caused a bit of grief in my life for a while but the judge ruled in my favour as I could clearly have killed the guy and he agreed that I had acted in defense of my family.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #36 on: 26 January 2011, 17:39 »

Offline RedHP

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 26 January 2011, 18:56 »
So sorry to hear about this, but apparently most burglers 'monitor' properties and their regular goings-on before making their move. Personally, we always take our keys up to our bedrooms when we go to bed etc, and not leave them downstairs for them to target.....
Red
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 26 January 2011, 19:27 »
All our car keys go upstairs with us at night.
I reckon the folk that steal cars to order would just target another house if they broke in and couldn't find the keys. Opportunist thieves wouldn't wast time looking for the car keys.

If they made in to my bedroom by beating the alarm system and the dogs, I'd need to congratulate them before putting them through the window  :laugh:

Seriously though it must be a terrifying moment to know someone is in your house uninvited.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline kgreenway

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 26 January 2011, 20:38 »
Thats bloody awful and must be sickening.  It's even worse these days that even if you had the payout from your insurance company, it's not like you walk into a VW showroom and pick out a like for like replacement.  Always remember when my Dad's brand new Beemer was pinched off the driveway on the 1st night of coming home.

It's harsh to say, but hopefully you won't get it recovered and instead get your gap insurance pay out..They never feel the same afterwards  :sad: