Author Topic: Applying product  (Read 1779 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
Applying product
« on: 08 October 2008, 20:35 »
I bought some stuff off elitecarcare to boost my detailing set. One of the things I bought was Collinite 476s wax. Opened the jar and the wax is quite hard, like candle wax. I dipped my (clean) finger in it and tried to spread it on to an aerosol can as a test. It was quite hard to apply, kinda like dried vaseline or something. What's the best way to apply this product?

Should I warm it up first? Use my hand? Use an applicator (I bought two, and got two others free)?

Also bought PBs wheel sealant. This too is quite firm (more like normal vaseline). Again, is it better to use fingers, pad or MF cloth?

Have the day off tomorrow (well, am starting night shifts at 8pm) so figured I'd get up early at the crack of dawn (or near enough 7am) and detailing the car.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Applying product
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2008, 20:48 »
The foam applicator pads are idea for both of those fella. I used them for the wheel sealant the other week (that stuff so rocks!) and I think I used them with that wax to (wasn't my wax or pads hence why I'm not sure).

Whatever though they were both hard products but the pads spread it out nicely on the paintwork/wheels.

Nick

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2008, 20:58 »
Should I use my fingers to apply onto the pad or onto the car? Or just use the pad, dip it in the wax and apply on the car?

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2008, 21:00 »
Rub pad in wax/sealant then rub on car.

Nick

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2008, 21:05 »
Have a look in here stealth new golf posted a guide  :smiley:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92429.0

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2008, 21:12 »
Can't believe it. I read that thread and for some reason missed the applying bit.

Am I becoming selectively stupid?  :laugh:

Thanks for the help guys. I hope tomorrows a lovely day for detailing.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2008, 09:59 »
collinite 845 wax is a gel wax which is the same as 476 wax but easier to put on and take off.give that a try!
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2008, 13:45 »
Meh. I've just bought the 476s and haven't even had a chance to use it so am not gonna buy another wax just yet.

Am mega-peeved that it was really sunny today. Got up late and by the time I stuck on the EGP, it was around 1130. Already the sun was peeking over the neighbours and into the yard. Buffed the EGP off but there were some bits that were very difficult despite being on for only 10-15mins. Decided not to bother with the collinite today.

Offline theshrew

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2008, 15:50 »
Use a aplicator pad mate.

With Coli put it on very thin and do one pannel at a time or its a mere to buff off. Put 2 or 3 coats on it will last you for ages  :grin: