Author Topic: Jaguar E-Type - Series 1 Roadster Detail  (Read 10611 times)

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
Jaguar E-Type - Series 1 Roadster Detail
« on: 21 October 2015, 14:56 »
Hi Guys,

I know this isn't a Golf GTI but I thought I'd share it with you. After all, the car is too beautiful not to be shared!

Been a long time since I've done a write up, I have taken some time off detailing due to a little person arriving 8 weeks ago and having to resume Dad duties! However, I couldn't resist freeing up a Sunday to go and pay this little stunner some attention.

It's a 1967 Jaguar E-Type Roadster, the very desirable Series 1 4.2 Straight 6 version. It's owned by my Sister-In-Law's boyfriends Dad and I've done a couple of his cars before. This is a recent acquisition for him, and it's just come back from a light restoration and he'd said to me that he feels the paint should have a bit more lustre than it does. I offered to take a look and we set the date.

Here she is....

Some deep marks all over the place...

The interior is like new. The seats are non original and were fitted as the car is intended to be used for classic car rallys and are more comfortable than the original items...

Lots of old polish residue to deal with...

The owner told me he'd washed and decontaminated it himself so after a quick inspection I was satisfied that I could get straight down to business. He said it had recently been polished but he wasn't too happy with it. A little later I spotted a tub of blue colour charged T-Cut in the garage with a dirty rag next to it.... (:censored:). The colour of the cloth after the wipedown confirmed this...

You can see some pigtails and general hazing in the reflection of the building roof line...

After the wipedown, the paint looked a lot clearer. There were some deep marks but we could sort those out later. I used some diluted citrus cleaner and a brush to loosen some of the polish residue behind the badges...

After seeing to some of the other intricate parts with the citrus cleaner, I took some paint readings and set about the polishing process... Readings were all over the place, a combination of the old cellulose paint and some original panels, some new panels, basically nearly 50 years worth of use.

Name of the game here was very careful proceedings. Before polishing each panel, multiple readings were taken to ensure I knew exactly what I was dealing with. Here are a selection from low to high...

I love working with cellulose paint, I always find it to be so responsive to some heat and the depth of finish is so much more apparent than on modern, clearcoated finishes. Weapons of choice...

I keep meaning to upgrade my polishing machine but the old SIM180 just wont die and I don't really do enough to justify spending the money!

Here is the boot lid after polishing, and then refining with Sonax Perfect Finish on a black Dodo FIN pad...

See what I mean about the depth of finish...

After doing the back end, I worked my way down the nearside and found the culprit of the dull finish... Loads of pigtails..

After with my ugly mug in the reflection:

Here is a before and after of the rear wing...

The paint was beautiful to work with. With some heat in it, it corrected really nicely but then once cooled down, robust enough not to mark with a wipedown. I was really enjoying getting back into it..

Rear wing after polishing...

Even without the lights, you can see the added gloss...

Bonnet polished...

Working my way round the offside...

Offside polished...

You might also have noticed that I'd taken a little break from polishing to dress the tyres. Car Skin Rubber was used as I feel it delivers the perfect natural rubber finish. Anything too glossy on a car of this age would look silly.

Whole car was given another wipedown with Gyeon Prep...

Even before the wax, the finish was stunning. I love the old paint, so much more rewarding than modern lacquer, and much nicer to work with...

Only the best wax for this special car, Def1nitive Beadology Edition...

A very thin layer curing for about 5-7 minutes, before being buffed effortlessly with a plush cloth...

I really felt the wax added something to the finish, it was such a deep gloss.

Once the paintwork was finished, all exterior chrome was polished using Raceglaze Alutech, including the wheels!

The engine was given a quick tickle but I was running out of time. The owner asked me to concentrate on the paint so it was just a little tidy up...

The interior was perfectly clean anyway so I didn't bother with that, so after a quick QD with Bouncers Done & Dusted, we were finished...

So there we have it, a very enjoyable day in lovely working surroundings. Hope you all enjoyed the pics, but not as much as I enjoyed working on this beautiful car.

Nice to be back!

Jon :thumb:
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
Re: Jaguar E-Type - Series 1 Roadster Detail
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2015, 15:00 »
Stunning work JB!!!

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2015, 15:02 »
Stunning work JB!!!

Thanks Neil.

Must admit I'm loving the detailing kit you sent out to me, the wash mitt, wheel mitt, drying towel and MF cloths are all brilliant! I'll certainly be replacing them when I need to!
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2015, 15:33 »
One word:

STUNNING  :shocked: :shocked: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2015, 16:01 »
Stunning work JB!!!

Thanks Neil.

Must admit I'm loving the detailing kit you sent out to me, the wash mitt, wheel mitt, drying towel and MF cloths are all brilliant! I'll certainly be replacing them when I need to!

Nice one and thank you!

Loving the cheeky pic with GTi in the background!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2015, 21:07 »
I think I might be in love... (the e-type, just in case).

Fantastic job too. But I love that cat. Beautiful colour, great combination with the interior. If only I had the money and the space...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2015, 21:25 »
 :cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 October 2015, 21:30 »
That is absolutely beautiful!!! Amazing turnaround mate, awesome work. How long did you spend on it?

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2015, 08:32 »
Top job that, looks fantastic mate.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2015, 09:15 »
Talented guy! Top work there mate.  :cool:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂