Author Topic: How do points affect things?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Mk1Macca

• I live here
How do points affect things?
« on: 01 February 2008, 14:11 »
So last night I was caught answering my phone by an umarked police car.

They've kindly issued me with a £60 penalty and 3 points.

Obviously i'll be telling my insurance company, but i'm just wondering how it will affect my premium / renewal?

I can understand speeding would, but not sure about picking up the phone.

Offline Tom H

• Here all the time
  • Previously board-stupid! :D
Re: How do points affect things?
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2008, 14:13 »
I'm pretty sure points are points no matter how you get them, but few companies will penalise you for just 3. it's not usually until you get 6 or more that you need to worry.

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2008, 20:55 »
In the end, depends on your age, my friend is 18 with 3 points, and it only went up slightly.

Offline creasegt

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2008, 11:52 »
you were lucky mate, if you get caught on the fone now its 2yr imprisonment, no quibbles, straight in!!!

ive heard that insurance companies tend to give cheaper premiums to people with 9 points, rather than people with 3 or 6 for instance,
for the sheer fact that you lose your licence at 12points, and people just arnt willing to risk driving like a dick with 9 points!

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2008, 12:39 »
you were lucky mate, if you get caught on the fone now its 2yr imprisonment, no quibbles, straight in!!!

ive heard that insurance companies tend to give cheaper premiums to people with 9 points, rather than people with 3 or 6 for instance,
for the sheer fact that you lose your licence at 12points, and people just arnt willing to risk driving like a dick with 9 points!

Indeed, if you jsut think it through, its pretty much what would you do if you were them!

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2008, 16:31 »
Tbh if i got 3 points now, id sell my car! Only get 6 points until you've had your license for 2 years :shocked:

I thought that insurance went up alot with 3 points though :undecided:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2008, 16:37 »

Yeah right! The prisons in this country would be overflowing within 24hrs!!!! You get less for beating an old person sensless for their penson money!!!!

Nick

Blazing Storm

« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2008, 16:40 »
It's only jail if you're caught driving dangerously whilst using a mobile phone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7153070.stm

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2008, 16:43 »
http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/driving/mobile_phones.htm

Here's the law in full and some frankly bonkers ROSPA recomendations. Next they'll want to ban passengers, stereos and that annoying squeek from just behind the rear seats because they are distracting!

Nick

Offline Tom H

• Here all the time
  • Previously board-stupid! :D
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2008, 08:27 »

caught driving dangerously while using a handheld mobile phone

You'd have to be doing something else worth pulling you over for, like weaving all over the place (which most idiots talking on phones do anyway!) while you're using your phone for this to take effect - it gives them powers to raise the charge to dangerous driving, which then, in extreme cases, could lead to prison.

2 Years is the maximum centance (assuming you don't kill someone) they're not saying they'll throw anyone and everyone driving whilst on a phone in jail.