Author Topic: Android Auto not controlling light/dark maps  (Read 463 times)

Offline MilgeS

• Just got here
Android Auto not controlling light/dark maps
« on: 30 March 2024, 19:51 »
Hello, I have just collected my new Black Edition, came from a 2018 Polo GTi+

I have always used Android Auto in the previous car with settings to automatically change from light/dark with automatic lights, but it doesn't seem to do that on the new car.

The infotainment unit has a light/dark toggle for the menus and that appears to override Android Auto/automatic lights switching, has anyone else found this problem (I have tried to search the forum without luck) or found a way to workaround it please?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Gjm

• Not said much yet
Re: Android Auto not controlling light/dark maps
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2024, 17:20 »
Disclaimer, I’m using CarPlay but it behaves the same way you describe. It is different to the behaviour of CarPlay in my previous VW Passat.

Going into the VW Maps there is a setting for auto light/dark, and this does reflect the auto light control that is detected from the sensor in the instrument cluster, i.e when going through dark areas the VW Map will change into dark mode, but only the map.
If I’m using CarPlay it remains on the day setting, this is especially noticeable when driving at dusk. The car turns on the headlights and the VW Map goes into dark mode. But CarPlay will remain on day mode, even though it is set on the phone for auto light/dark mode. CarPlay seems to be controlled by my phone setting of going into dark mode at sunset, as whatever time sunset is, CarPlay and Apple or Google Maps will then go into dark mode.
VW Golf Mk8 GTD on order since Nov 2021 - Cancelled June 2023
VW Golf Mk8 GTI - Purchased June 2023

Offline MilgeS

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2024, 19:58 »
Disclaimer, I’m using CarPlay but it behaves the same way you describe. It is different to the behaviour of CarPlay in my previous VW Passat.

Going into the VW Maps there is a setting for auto light/dark, and this does reflect the auto light control that is detected from the sensor in the instrument cluster, i.e when going through dark areas the VW Map will change into dark mode, but only the map.
If I’m using CarPlay it remains on the day setting, this is especially noticeable when driving at dusk. The car turns on the headlights and the VW Map goes into dark mode. But CarPlay will remain on day mode, even though it is set on the phone for auto light/dark mode. CarPlay seems to be controlled by my phone setting of going into dark mode at sunset, as whatever time sunset is, CarPlay and Apple or Google Maps will then go into dark mode.

Thank you very much for your reply, I will see if I can tinker with some of the general phone display settings and maybe that will trigger the light/dark changeover, thank you.

Offline MilgeS

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2024, 07:32 »
CarPlay seems to be controlled by my phone setting of going into dark mode at sunset, as whatever time sunset is, CarPlay and Apple or Google Maps will then go into dark mode.

Unfortunately doesn't work the same for me, I will try a "Routine" which is something Android supports, a sort of "if this/then that" command, which might be a workaround. Thanks again for your reply and thoughts on this.

Offline Gjm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2024, 08:26 »
Manually you can force it with two/three taps of the screen by pulling down for the shortcuts menu and switching from Bright to Dark on the infotainment screen.

On an Apple phone, under display in settings you have the option to set the whole phone OS to Light or Dark mode, and you have an automatic option with the option of a custom schedule where you can set specific times or Sunset to Sunrise.

If the option doesn’t exist on Android, there will most probably be an App that helps.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2024, 10:13 »
I run with my car set on dark mode all of the time... I struggle with seeing the stuff on the white background at any time of day.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Gjm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 02 April 2024, 11:00 »
I run with my car set on dark mode all of the time... I struggle with seeing the stuff on the white background at any time of day.

It’s a strange one with this car, I would also prefer to run the infotainment system in Dark mode, but then CarPlay operates in dark mode all the time and the automatic switching doesn’t work, which does if the infotainment system is in Bright mode.
I find Apple & Google Maps difficult to see when in dark mode during daylight hours.

Offline MilgeS

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2024, 19:30 »
It's the most annoying thing I have found with this car! I use it for driving instructing so really need to use "light" mode so learners are used to the same/similar colour scheme as they'll see on the TomTom that examiners use.

I've resorted to using the pull down menu way of changing it, Android "Modes/Routines" didn't make it switch on the head unit, only on the phone.

Thank you for all the replies :-)