Author Topic: Collected today  (Read 8534 times)

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
Re: Collected today
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2009, 08:19 »
Congrats on the new arrival. It's amazing how many people are trading in their new Sciroccos for the GTI and most seem to be saying the same as you: looks good, but too small inside.

Offline carl1

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2009, 08:44 »
very nice, nearly had a red one myself looks  :drool:
GTI manual PP, now sold  :-(

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2009, 09:58 »
Looks  :cool: :cool: :cool:

I found the same with the rocco too. I just didnt feel the 2 door compromise was justified. nice car but just a couple of things about it annoyed me. probably because for a new car it was a little too similar to the mk5. They still manage to look  :cool: though!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #13 on: 28 June 2009, 10:08 »
Sweet, looks stunning in red.

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 28 June 2009, 11:30 »
Good choice of colour.  Ive just ordered the same yesterday  :grin:.  Once you get some more pics stick them on here so I can see what I am about to get
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 28 June 2009, 19:16 »
Ok people, just did 350 odd miles up to GTI International and back so thought I'd give you some feedback on the car, and my thoughts against the Scirocco that I've traded away from.

So first off, I got the short straw, my car came with the Dunlops but I gotta say today they felt pretty good so i'm not bothered. The car was awesome today, it's quick enough, pulls well through the gear range and goes round roundabouts very well.  All together i'm very impressed.

So, getting in! The Roc was a pain in the arse with it's long slabby doors and low roof and high seat bolsters, the Golf is much more user friendly. Inside the GTI seats are narrower, they hug the torso more, in fact a tad too much in my view but i'm suffering middle aged spread!  Interior wise I prefer the Roc a bit as it has some nice shapes and shiny bits, apart from the steering wheel the GTI is a bit bland inside and I found accessing the drivers door pockets today almost impossible, you need to be double jointed!  However there are plenty of extra features that I prefer, sunglass holder, covered cup holder, but most of all,  the height adjuster on the seatbelt.  There wasn't one on the Roc an it bloody chaffed my neck like hell.

I went for a manual and this was the right choice for me, my roc was a DSG and even though the DSG is amazingly smooth and efficient, I ended up driving it in auto most of the time and that dulled the experience a bit. I got stuck in a monster traffic jam on the M1 today for ages and thought that would be where I'd regret not choosing DSG again but the clutch is very light and it wasn't a chore at all.

I also didn't get a sun roof and am not bothered as the cabin is much bigger and airier than the Roc, I wouldn't like the Roc without a sunroof, when I pulled the cover over mine it felt quite claustrophobic.

Drivewise the Rocco feels a little go-kartish in comparison to the Golf but today I noticed that the Golf doesn't understeer or suffer from as much torque steer as the Scirocco, a pleasant surprise, I think the Roc sits too high anyway, it should be lower, if no other reason than to hide the ghastly gap between the tyre and arch.  The Scirocco is sharper to drive but marginally and offset by the understeer and torque steer, I'd but my balls on the line to say (for me) the Golf is a better drive.  I think the Scirocco lowered on a track would be an awesome tool though.

Fuel consumption today was interesting, driving up from Poole I left early and was 'eager' to say the least but not going mad. I got through all the fuel in 290miles! Hmmm, not good so on the way back I drove at a steady 70-80mph, approx 3000 rpm and the range was showing a potential of 480miles on that tank so the golf seems more sensitive to the throttle.

That's it for now, i'm sure i'll think of more for later. Don't get me wrong, the Scirocco was a great car but for me the GTI has more to offer.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 28 June 2009, 19:24 »
Great write up :smiley:

Good to heat the opinion of someone whos had both for a period of time. :cool:

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 28 June 2009, 19:26 »
Gossa, did you opt for ACC and what's your view on seeing that you've already had it on the rocco?  I didnt go for it on my order but still could change my mind before the order goes to production.
« Last Edit: 28 June 2009, 19:37 by gc76 »
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 28 June 2009, 19:38 »
Personally i found the ACC brilliant. Just not £700 brilliant. Should have been std imo

Offline koop22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 28 June 2009, 19:47 »
so is the gti noticeably faster than the roc? on paper perhaps..but your opinion otherwise.