Author Topic: Top tip. (Might save you some hassle.)  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Re: Top tip. (Might save you some hassle.)
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2022, 20:50 »
I had this issue a few months back. I managed to open the filler cap by pressing it inwards in the bottom left corner, which caused the upper left corner to pop out slightly. I could then prise my finger behind it and gently pull it open.

I fixed the problem myself by filing off a thin slither of plastic off the clip - as per https://youtu.be/b9dvu6ijddo. It's been fine ever since.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2022, 22:52 »
There's two different issues being discussed here, both of which I've had. One, as per Mutley75 and the actuator getting stuck/going wrong. Hopefully lubrication will keep the actuator going a bit longer although as to why they fail, I'm not use. I would also recommend trimming the plastic as Mutley says, takes all of a couple of minutes and may well prevent an awkward moment...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2022, 17:32 »
In addition to WD40’s traditional moisture displacement product, they also manufacture a white lithium grease which is a lubricant. Other brands are available - e.g. 3 in 1.

If you read the can you might be surprised to discover that 3 in 1 is made by WD40 too. 3 in 1 is silicone based and WD is water based. I also give mine a spray of 3 in 1 oil every now and again and so far so good, fingers crossed it stays that way  :grin:

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
« Reply #13 on: 29 June 2022, 13:33 »
The spring loaded plunger that pops out when you press the fuel filler door is prone to sticking. The Mk 7 has reached that stage now.

It is possible to open the door but there’s a fair chance you will break the plastic clips on the door.

To pre-empt this problem please consider giving the plunger a little lubrication. I used WD40 when I eventually gained access and it now works properly.

Hope this helps avoid you having the issue I recently went through.

Haha I had this problem a few months ago and had to rip it open. Thankfully, it didn't break and has been fine since. I'll get the WD40 out when I get home
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1