Author Topic: ((((vr6 stock to vr6 track))))  (Read 47085 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: ((((vr6 stock to vr6 track))))
« Reply #20 on: 05 January 2011, 10:49 »
Yeah i'd strip the doors of window motors and central locking etc but i'd leave the frames alone, might end up slamming your door one day and buckling it.  feck all weight to be saved anyway and if you want them to look tidier instead, prehaps consider some lightweight door cards.  Carbon Fibre door card trims are from around £115 a pair? or your could get some ally plates for far less depeneding on what you want to spend.

http://www.performance-trim.com/product.php?product_id=46

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #21 on: 05 January 2011, 11:31 »
Much better thread, keep it clean and simple like this and it'll be a good thread to watch :afro:

You seem to be going about things the right way now so the best of luck to you, and keep the updates coming  :cool:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #22 on: 05 January 2011, 11:33 »
Yeah i'd strip the doors of window motors and central locking etc but i'd leave the frames alone, might end up slamming your door one day and buckling it.  feck all weight to be saved anyway and if you want them to look tidier instead, prehaps consider some lightweight door cards.  Carbon Fibre door card trims are from around £115 a pair? or your could get some ally plates for far less depeneding on what you want to spend.

http://www.performance-trim.com/product.php?product_id=46

or sheets of thin black foam, very lightweight but cover up all the metalwork . sharp edges  :wink:

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #23 on: 05 January 2011, 11:36 »
Are doorcards really that heavy?
Try going on a diet instead! :rolleyes:

:laugh:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #24 on: 05 January 2011, 14:07 »
or sheets of thin black foam, very lightweight but cover up all the metalwork . sharp edges  :wink:

This - for about £20 and a few Stanley blades.

Don't cage it unless you have deep enough pockets for buckets and harnesses, otherwise you're going to smash your head open on the steel bars in your interior if you have an off.

Side-impact protection bars in the G3 are worth losing if you're weight-saving, as they're knocking on 10kg alone.

You should relocate the battery and washer bottle to the rear of the car to try and help with the weight distribution.

I hope you've re-secured the controls from the dash properly - last thing you want is them coming loose and firing about the cabin.  If it were me I'd put the dash back in, stripped of any soundproofing you can.  They don't weigh very much and it's useful having mounts for your switches etc all there, ready made.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline mmaattyyg

• Here all the time
  • i need anger management as i dont take advice well
« Reply #25 on: 05 January 2011, 14:12 »
old steering wheel

now gone to make way for the new one

new wheel on and a bit of wire tidying

poly windows now out the box quite pleased with them so lookk forward to fitting them in on the weekend

this is the guy i bought them from if anyone is interested
i need anger management as i dont take advise well ......

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #26 on: 05 January 2011, 14:14 »
Steering wheel looks good, might be worth doing something with the dash bar or as DH said refit the dash maybe.

Offline mmaattyyg

• Here all the time
  • i need anger management as i dont take advice well
« Reply #27 on: 05 January 2011, 14:20 »
i do have the dash still but dont fancy putting it back in, i was gonna make up a bracket for the clocks  heater dials and the head light switch ! i like the look with out the dash,need to spend a day out there sorting the wires properly and making the brackets, ive got some primer and grey spray paint coming so thought i might rub down and spray the inside ?
i need anger management as i dont take advise well ......

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #28 on: 05 January 2011, 14:22 »
i do have the dash still but dont fancy putting it back in, i was gonna make up a bracket for the clocks  heater dials and the head light switch ! i like the look with out the dash,need to spend a day out there sorting the wires properly and making the brackets, ive got some primer and grey spray paint coming so thought i might rub down and spray the inside ?

Sounds good, looking forward to the updates.  :smiley:

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
« Reply #29 on: 05 January 2011, 14:35 »
liking it, not a fan of the wheel though!!
out of interest... what are the weight differences between the windows??

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!