Author Topic: Last trackday of the year  (Read 8205 times)

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
Re: Last trackday of the year
« Reply #20 on: 22 November 2010, 18:52 »
cheers horney think the track is a tarmac  and have as much neg camber as is possible without grinding bolts down ect

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #21 on: 22 November 2010, 19:03 »
In that case I think you need to get a bit smoother with your turn in and throttle application. T1R's aren't mega soft but they are quite soft, still shouldn't have killed them that badly!

Nick

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2010, 19:16 »
In that case I think you need to get a bit smoother with your turn in and throttle application. T1R's aren't mega soft but they are quite soft, still shouldn't have killed them that badly!

Nick

so your blaming my driving  :shocked: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

that is a good point there was one corner that was quite fun to get throttle happy out off

they done 6 sessions and the avon acb10s done around 9 sessions and have loads of life in them must be a harder compound

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #23 on: 22 November 2010, 19:26 »
Having looked back, your pressures sound a bit low as well. I tend to run mine @32psi hot.

Nick

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #24 on: 22 November 2010, 19:27 »
well will have to wait till next yr to play again thanks for the advice nick all taken on board

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 22 November 2010, 19:40 »
Not sure what the standard pressures are meant to be on a Mk2 but on the Mk3 for 195 50 15's its meant to be 38 front and 35 rear. I usually start out at 30 psi and they go up to about 37 psi.
It looks like you have suffered from the outside edges rolling over too much. A bit more pressure should help reduce this.
Another problem with running new tyres is that the tread is too deep and squirms and gets too hot. A lot of people get some shaved off of new tyres, a cheaper way is to buy part worn tyres if you trust the source they come from.
I run Toyo T1R's most of the time and usually get 2, 3, or 4 airfield days out of a set. Fronts always take more of a hammering on the inside and outside edges though.
The cost of a decent full alignment will always pay for itself in saving your tyres.
I run 1 1/2 degrees of negative camber and 2 minutes of toe out on each side (total 4 minutes toe out) which helps with turn in but not very tyre friendly.

Paul

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #26 on: 22 November 2010, 19:52 »
im running mk3 set up all round on the mk2 so would have thought its about the same ? sopose weight of car is a point to consider

tracking was set to 0 as thought be a good place to start

and yes did notice some tyre roll so will know for next time to put some more air in

still learning so this is helping loads cheers

just cant wait for next year now  :smiley:

will get it set up again as will hopefully be replacing topmounts and suspension over winter and poss addin a lower front brace

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #27 on: 22 November 2010, 21:46 »
I think that was a track with a lot of tight turns and those were new tyres so they would have worn fast, especially with enthusiastic goons at the helm.

Brands Hatch nearly killed an R888 of mine last year - tight tracks are harsh on tyres.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #28 on: 22 November 2010, 21:54 »
who u calling a enthusiastic goons :laugh:

yes is very tight turns on that track as u have seen in the vid dh

but next yr will hopefully see better handleing so wont have to push quite as hard on the bends to keep up with others well thats the theory anyway

Offline s1monc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 23 November 2010, 22:30 »
I was at Lydden to, my o/s/f R888 is down to the cords on the outer edge (3 trackdays). lydden is a very tight circuit & the surface is in a very poor state, really kills your tyres. Lydden hill circuit is only 20 mins away from me so i drive my track car there, i don't use my Golf for anything else except trackdays& driving to/from track. I don't have anywhere to store a trailer otherwise i would deffo buy one.

Simon.