Author Topic: If you had £200 to spend on your golf what would you buy?  (Read 8371 times)

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
Re: If you had £200 to spend on your golf what would you buy?
« Reply #80 on: 27 June 2012, 14:10 »
I'll clean up all the valves like I've done to my current head (clean valves are like adding a lightened flywheel).

Steady!! Clean valves will add a few BHP at best...or replace what may be lacking.
I've never seen a VR6 yet that's lost power due to dirty valves though.

The light flywheel will feel like you have added 40+ BHP...the valves, sadly not.

I'll get some porting done to the origional manifold (inc lower) and find a 2.9 tb

Get a 2.9 upper manifold - the lower is the same.
The 2.9 has a far bigger volume in the plenum.

When I recon'd my head about 2month ago now the engine had done about 207'000miles, after de-coking the lot the way it rev'd up was instantly obvious, it wasn't down on power before (that I know off)

But then my rings went about 500miles later and that's when I decided strip it all.

How do you tell the difference between manifolds? 2.8 & 2.9

My lightened flywheel is about 7 1/2 kilo can I take it more?

Thanks for the good replies :smiley:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #81 on: 27 June 2012, 14:13 »
LOL set someones alarm off.

When you get a vr and put on an unrestricted (noise) exhaust on you'll be doing that too! Mines bad for doing it in carparks when I can get in them
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #82 on: 27 June 2012, 15:00 »
How do you tell the difference between manifolds? 2.8 & 2.9

Turn them over...the 2.9 has a large plemum where as the 2.8 has what like a big runner, and casting ribs where the 2.9 has plenum.

My lightened flywheel is about 7 1/2 kilo can I take it more?

That's not too bad...I think you can go to 6.5 Kg ish if you really know what you are doing...but 7.5 is pretty good.
You really need to know where to remove metal if you are going really light though.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #83 on: 27 June 2012, 15:16 »
LOL set someones alarm off.

When you get a vr and put on an unrestricted (noise) exhaust on you'll be doing that too! Mines bad for doing it in carparks when I can get in them

Although that VR6 has a straight through, no cat, tinny as hell, awful sounding exhaust (in my view) its the induction noise that hits you.
It's awesome.
That car runs a BMC CDA carbon intake, large bore TB, Schrick manifold, fully re-worked and match ported to a one-off Blydenstein big valve head...and it makes a fine noise!  :grin:

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #84 on: 27 June 2012, 18:01 »
Still on the subject of avoiding the thread title.....

Ive been wanting a short intake manifold commonly used for FI purposes, mainly for aesthetic reasons and cleaning the bay.

Could this actually make a difference over a ported standard manifold? Presumably it could be getting a good air flow keeping it cool, paired with one of them neuspeed gaskets that reduce heat soak? I have lots too think about  :grin:

Before i start any of this though, im re-newing my cooling system 

Dont lose your dinosaur!