Author Topic: Converting the 1.8 GL to a 2.0 GTi, what exactly do I need?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
Hey all, before any of you start by saying just buy a GTi, it's not a financial option to do so, as my insurance will jump up £1400, whereas if I do a conversion, it only goes up £127, don't ask me how or why, it just does lol!

Anyway, I'm here to find out exactly what I'll need because at the moment, as far as I'm aware I need the engine, exhaust system and a brake upgrade. I have been told I may need the gearbox and wiring loom as well?

Any help would be great, thanking you :)

Offline shepgti

• I live here
Re: Converting the 1.8 GL to a 2.0 GTi, what exactly do I need?
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2009, 11:21 »
you'd be best off buying a complete doner car then you'll have all the parts you'd need  :undecided:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2009, 11:24 »
Off topic but the reason for the insurance is the badge, GTI's have always had high insurance costs whatever happens your still insuring a GL at the end of the day.

As Shep said it might be easier to get a doner car and that would give you everthing you need.

Offline g40jon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2009, 11:48 »
is it really worth the hassle?  sticking a gti engine in it wont make it super fast, not by todays std anyway, and its not like the 1.8 is gut wrenchingly slow.  maybe better off saving up and buying a faster car when you can afford to.
if i were going to go through the hassle of an engine swap i'd at least be looking for an engine that had bags of power to begin with and too my mind a gti be it 8v or 16v doesnt for the size of the car its powering.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2009, 12:18 »
is it really worth the hassle?  sticking a gti engine in it wont make it super fast, not by todays std anyway, and its not like the 1.8 is gut wrenchingly slow.  maybe better off saving up and buying a faster car when you can afford to.
if i were going to go through the hassle of an engine swap i'd at least be looking for an engine that had bags of power to begin with and too my mind a gti be it 8v or 16v doesnt for the size of the car its powering.

His old engine is knackered, hence the reason for the change.

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2009, 12:29 »
I THINK you could use the same pedal box as they are both cable clutch i believe.

You would need an new exhaust, full system, including cat/decat, your choice

Engine, box, full engine loom to fusebox and ECU with all anciliries.

You would probably need the 8v/16v subframe? As i dont think they are the same. Does the GL have a subframe or is it like a 6n polo?

Driveshafts MIGHT be the same but i doubt it, as they hubs are different.

Other things to look at would be the capability of the fuel pump/ fuel lines.

You would need 8v clocks.

Not sure on the gear linkages?

8v radiator (would also depend on donor car having air con etc) And not sure if that would fit on your current slam panel?

All coolant hoses etc etc to match up the engine and radiator.

Then new engine mounts.

Would also then recomend whilst its out doing the belts, maybe the head gasket. lol.

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2009, 12:30 »
Infact? Are the fuse boxs even the compatiably? You might  need more of the loom or a different fusebox?

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2009, 12:45 »
Thanks for the input Mikester, my car has air con so I'd need to find a doner with air con? The clocks in mine are exactly the same, same rev limit, same top speed and what not, the only thing is I don't have the mfa.

It's a lot to think about and do ain't it lol, ideally I'd love to whack a 1.8t in there but funds and space don't allow, the only thing I might do is replace te engine for another standard one and decide what to do at the end of my insurance, another thing that doesn't help is I just received 3 points :(

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2009, 12:46 »
Infact? Are the fuse boxs even the compatiably? You might  need more of the loom or a different fusebox?

I think they are different.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2009, 12:46 »
Thanks for the input Mikester, my car has air con so I'd need to find a doner with air con? The clocks in mine are exactly the same, same rev limit, same top speed and what not, the only thing is I don't have the mfa.

It's a lot to think about and do ain't it lol, ideally I'd love to whack a 1.8t in there but funds and space don't allow, the only thing I might do is replace te engine for another standard one and decide what to do at the end of my insurance, another thing that doesn't help is I just received 3 points :(

3pts for what.