Author Topic: Brakes Not working properly..?????  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Fatty B

• GTI forum regular
Re: Brakes Not working properly..?????
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2009, 11:01 »
all you need is to go to halfords and buy a brake bleed kit and some fluid and a 7 mm spanner and a 11mm spanner. You also will need a jack and a helper. if you dont feel 100% about doing it yourself i would not mess with brakes i would take it to a local garage or kwik fit and tell them to bleed the brakes and the master cylinder for you with a pressure bleeder.
If your buying im selling!!!!!!!

Offline djianb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2009, 13:26 »
havn't bled brakes yet just added more fluid n pumped pedal few times, wen i brake i can here a whoosing noise wen i push in the pedal (noise comin from the pedal) ne thoughts??

Offline Fatty B

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2009, 13:37 »
the noise you can hear is normal its the rubber boot behind the brake pedal compressing against the servo you should not have alot of travel with the pedal with the ignition turned off pump the pedal and the pedal should go hard if not then you might have another problem and then try bleeding the brakes again. if you have changed the brake hose you will need to bleed the brakes did the mechanic bleed the brakes or did you????

Offline djianb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2009, 14:05 »
wen the ignition is off the pedal goes hard..n wen its on the brakes work but there is a fair bit of travel( pedal feels spongy brakes arn't as sharp as b4 hose went) the mechanic bled them bout 4/5 times?? with a pressure bleed twice n by hand 2 or 3 times he said there is def no air but obviously thats his opinion, he said there will be some travel in the pedal??

Offline Fatty B

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2009, 14:16 »
yer his is correct in sayin there will be some travel but not alot if you are not happy then go back and ask them to bleed it again and bleed the master cylinder if there is air in the master cylinder you can bleed the system as mant times you like but it wont make any difference. this could also be why you are hearing the whoooshing noise more also.

Offline djianb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 17 January 2009, 14:19 »
say the distance from not pushing the pedal to pushing it to the floor is 6 inches i'd say theres bout 2inchs of travel so a 1/3 is this right? ill have to call him out again cause he was a mobile mechanic hmmm will anythin happen if i dnt get it sorted??

Offline Fatty B

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 17 January 2009, 14:28 »
it cant be good for the master cylinder but should be ok to drive. the travel sounds to be about right but its all about how the pedal feels when driving have you checked the vacumm hose coming off the servo make sure there not split shinny black hose coming off the bottom of the servo around the back of the engine.

Offline djianb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 17 January 2009, 14:33 »
don't spose u have pic of the master cylinder at all cus dunno where it is?

Offline djianb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2009, 14:34 »
the brakes just don't seem as sharp as i remember

Offline Fatty B

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2009, 14:38 »
http://fixexpert.com/image/2/33/Volkwagen_Golf_1.8T_Mk3_86467.png

this is a picture of the servo and componets