Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654059 times)

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #1630 on: 20 June 2014, 22:25 »

Seriously Jay, machine polishing with a Dual Action is so easy, there is 0% percent chance of you doing damage you you start off easy and work you way up. I was nervous at first and now it a breeze, you could seriously do it with a blind fold on. Best move i ever made was picking up a DA polisher.

Haha thanks! Look the the difference in wheel arch gap :p
Jay

Yeah, massive gap.  Thought mine was bad on 19s and unlowered, but that's worse  :grin:

Seriously Jay, machine polishing with a Dual Action is so easy, there is 0% percent chance of you doing damage you you start off easy and work you way up. I was nervous at first and now it a breeze, you could seriously do it with a blind fold on. Best move i ever made was picking up a DA polisher.

^^
'Tis true.  I did a practice run on my partners van before letting loose on my car for the first time, it was absolutely fine.  Depending on the degree of swirling / marring, just start off with the least abrasive pad and polish and off you go, then check the results and if necessary step up to more abrasive polish and pad.....and so on.

Good call, maybe I'll buy one. I've always wanted to give like clay bar and machine polish etc a try because I know it'll help a lot with the cleaning of the car, but I've always been a chicken haha! Thanks guys, I'll let you guys know when I get around to buying one then maybe grab a few tips and tricks off you guys  :grin:

@Jay I haven't had much time at all to practice with my new DA but did a small patch on the bonnet of my girlfriend's corsa the other day and found it really easy to work with. I really need a good light source to check the paint with though and couldn't get a good pic of it. Just have a read of the guides on Detailing world and i also found Junkman2000's videos on Youtube really helpful. I too was worried about trying it and messing up but if you go in with a bit of knowledge from the above sources and be patient I don't think you can go wrong really.

That's made me feel a bit more confident about it haha, cheers! I have seen some of Chemical Guy's videos on youtube and been on a few threads on that detailing forum. Maybe I'll take advantage of the summer one day and splash out a bit of cash for one!

Jay
Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #1631 on: 20 June 2014, 22:41 »
Yeah it's a bit of an outlay at first but I think it will be more than worth it in the long run. My shopping list was here in post 15 just for reference:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=267752.10

and that was with a group buy code for  £15 off of the polisher and the rest in a different order so I could use a 5% off code  :drool: Only recommendation I would have is to buy more than one of each pad so you don't have to wait for them to dry before polishing again. Heard people say that the extra power of the DAS pro is handy for hard German paint too just as a heads up

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #1632 on: 20 June 2014, 23:08 »
Everyone has being saying that the Menzerna Fast Gloss 400 is a great polish for the hard German paint. Up till this point I have just been using Menzerna Power finish 2300 and Super Finish 4000, which is great combo, but hard work.

I have ordered FG400 and will combine with SF4000 with Orange or Green Hex pads. See how i get on with that
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1633 on: 21 June 2014, 00:00 »
@Jay, @Seabrook - be prepared to have a set of aching arms after your first full polish  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #1634 on: 21 June 2014, 00:10 »
Haha mine were aching before I even started!  :drool:

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1635 on: 21 June 2014, 00:19 »

I'm not even gonna ask why  :whistle:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #1636 on: 21 June 2014, 00:26 »
Was on a course at work which involved a whole day on the firing range.

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1637 on: 21 June 2014, 00:52 »

Mate my body is sweating even after drying the car LOL

Yeah it's a bit of an outlay at first but I think it will be more than worth it in the long run. My shopping list was here in post 15 just for reference:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=267752.10

and that was with a group buy code for  £15 off of the polisher and the rest in a different order so I could use a 5% off code  :drool: Only recommendation I would have is to buy more than one of each pad so you don't have to wait for them to dry before polishing again. Heard people say that the extra power of the DAS pro is handy for hard German paint too just as a heads up

Cheers man!! Im gonna have to check these out
Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1638 on: 21 June 2014, 07:23 »
@Jay, @Seabrook - be prepared to have a set of aching arms after your first full polish  :grin:

Yes, I can vouch for that!  :laugh: Bought a DAS-6 Pro DA polisher earlier this year and machine polished my car for the first time.

As I'd never used a machine polisher before, and I was a bit nervous about inflicting more damage on my car than I was hoping to correct, I watched a number of videos on YouTube to learn the best technique to use. I used the Meguiars microfibre system, and was really impressed with the results. I finished off with a coat of Poorboys Black Hole glaze and Collinite 845 wax which, as it's liquid rather than a paste, it's really easy to apply but I've found it also has good durability.

I set aside 2 days and took my time, but my arms were really aching by the time I'd finished! One tip I'd give is don't skimp on the preparation - ensure you get rid of any bonded contaminants first, so you've got a smooth, glassy surface before you start polishing and the results should speak for themself.  :cool:

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1639 on: 21 June 2014, 08:28 »
As mentioned before, a good light source is key to good results. I work in my garage, do one small section at a time, then turn the lights off and shine a LED bike light from all different angles to check for any remaining marks. There's nothing worse than doing what you think is a spot on job only for the sun to catch it at a certain angle and show up everything you've missed.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.