Author Topic: Front mount intercoolers  (Read 12570 times)

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
Re: Front mount intercoolers
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2011, 12:52 »
It's just sanded down by hand so not a good finish because I rushed it, it's absolute poo poo compared to what I've got waiting to go on when I fit my forged rods and rebuild the motor, here's a little teaser  :evil:

Also got a modified AGN valve cover and fuel rail that I'm going to have professionally polished up too
« Last Edit: 08 March 2011, 12:53 by rockmonkey69 »

Offline ashie_b1986

• GTI forum regular
  • mk4 golf gti 1.8 turbo AUM 2001
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2011, 12:54 »
lol, i bet you carnt wait
i think i mite start sanding mine sometime
did you sand with wet and dry but dry? with some fine paper? or did you use a machine?

Offline daz veedub

• Forum addict
  • Operation 1.8t bolf
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2011, 13:28 »
ive been doing mine hardwork but getting there will put more pics when finished  :cool:

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 08 March 2011, 13:32 »
Just done it dry to begin with (use a respirator it's seriously dusty and really bad for your lungs!) when I got up to about 600-800 grit I started wet sanding, try to change wipe off all the dust/dirt between each time you change grades and be patient working on that one grade to remove any pitting or casting marks/uneven surfaces with that grade before going finer otherwise it'll stick out like a sore thumb once you've got to the higher grades. Take it to about 1500 grit and you should have a really smooth but dull finish without any pitting, then if you want a mirror like finish then the only way is with a some sort of buffing machine with polishing compounds and not autosol, if however you just want a clean look like how my engine is now then autosol polishing will do fine.

Offline Hulmie

• I live here
  • White MK4 1.8T AGU K03s
« Reply #14 on: 08 March 2011, 14:00 »
to save time on the 10 ive done before, removed the rought surface using a 120 grit flap wheel and then machine polished up using 3 different grades of compound. Using a course, medium and soft polishing wheel.

mk4 R32 Golf, Reflex Silver, V6

Offline ashie_b1986

• GTI forum regular
  • mk4 golf gti 1.8 turbo AUM 2001
« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2011, 14:25 »
nice 1  :smiley:

Offline Jayz

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2011, 14:42 »
I run an ebay special and they are poop. They don't cool the air that well, I get a power drop of like 10-15bhp due to heat soak :(

DAMN!

I agree with you get what you pay for when it comes to such things, although I've seen plenty of happy people with ebay specials I'm pretty sure I can get these ebay specials to heatsoak on the track in no time at all. I would also be worried with pressure drop and the efficiency of the core given their small size I would expect literally no lag but that's not the case from reading a few reviews on uk-mkiv and vwvortex, so it's a bit worrying. They also won't be efficient enough for those pushing deep into 300 bhp.

When I purchased my eurojet front mount intercooler - the street core so it wouldn't be too massive and laggy I was surprised when it arrived. It was absolutely massive at 2" thick 10" tall and 31" wide. Fitted it's pretty much level with my headlights/grills and reaches all the way down to the splitter. But have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I drove it, I didn't notice any lag.

Another point, given the small size of the ebay intercoolers I would have thought fitment wouldn't be a problem, I mean my eurojet core is absolutely massive compared to them ebay cores and I've managed to fit it behind a standard 1.6 bumper with minor trimming only on the middle grill not anywhere else. Seems the ebay cores are as awfully designed as people claim.

We all love a bit of whoring  :grin:

Looks like a perfect fit! Loving the polished bits aswell nice work :wink:
so the only proper intercoolers for the 1.8t are forge and eurojet or are there others?
« Last Edit: 08 March 2011, 14:51 by Jayz »

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2011, 14:49 »
Well the eurojet isn't a bad fit but it is a very big core, I've seen people run a gt3071r on them thats just shy of 500bhp, so they still need trimming a little if you got a standard bumper, behind an r32 bumper I doubt anything needs to be done at all.
PS. What site do you purchased your polishing compounds and polishing wheels from? Most of them tend to be in the states  :undecided:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2011, 17:04 »
THS look very good, I know Nick runs one in the R-Tech project 1.8T so maybe have a word with him to see how he thinks it performs :wink:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 08 March 2011, 17:31 »
I also agree, the THS twin pass one is quite an efficient core for a twin pass and it fits very well I don't recall the THS needing trimming on the standard bumper.