Author Topic: Front mount intercoolers  (Read 12570 times)

Offline Jayz

• GTI forum regular
Front mount intercoolers
« on: 07 March 2011, 23:21 »
Hey guys, Im after a FMIC for my golf gti 1.8T dont really fancy paying out £600 odd for a forge fmic, has anyone brought and fitted the ebay ones? any problems/ issues? and are there any twin pass intercoolers cant really find any about.

Cheers
J

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
Re: Front mount intercoolers
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2011, 23:24 »
Few people have fitted them and have been happy with the results.  Main problems seem to be the actual fitting, the eBay specials rarely fit without having to "modify" the front of the car for them to fit snugly.

Offline vwfiend

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2011, 23:25 »
Forge ones are definitely worth it, so subtle and a much shorter path so less chances of boost leaks and next to no lag! My one fitted.....

Offline Jayz

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2011, 23:38 »
I haven't heard people having any faults with the ebay ones yet and the forge ones do fit really good. My mate was saying something about THS doing a twin pass one?

Offline vwfiend

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 March 2011, 23:39 »
Their just an over engineered wannabe Forge that isnt direct fitment.................

Offline Jayz

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 07 March 2011, 23:48 »
hmmmm i guess you get what you pay for.

Offline vwfiend

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2011, 00:27 »
Unless you buy off certain people on the classifieds.............  :laugh:

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2011, 10:00 »
I run an ebay special and they are poop. They don't cool the air that well, I get a power drop of like 10-15bhp due to heat soak :(

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2011, 12:33 »
I agree with you get what you pay for when it comes to such things, although I've seen plenty of happy people with ebay specials I'm pretty sure I can get these ebay specials to heatsoak on the track in no time at all. I would also be worried with pressure drop and the efficiency of the core given their small size I would expect literally no lag but that's not the case from reading a few reviews on uk-mkiv and vwvortex, so it's a bit worrying. They also won't be efficient enough for those pushing deep into 300 bhp.

When I purchased my eurojet front mount intercooler - the street core so it wouldn't be too massive and laggy I was surprised when it arrived. It was absolutely massive at 2" thick 10" tall and 31" wide. Fitted it's pretty much level with my headlights/grills and reaches all the way down to the splitter. But have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I drove it, I didn't notice any lag.

Another point, given the small size of the ebay intercoolers I would have thought fitment wouldn't be a problem, I mean my eurojet core is absolutely massive compared to them ebay cores and I've managed to fit it behind a standard 1.6 bumper with minor trimming only on the middle grill not anywhere else. Seems the ebay cores are as awfully designed as people claim.

We all love a bit of whoring  :grin:

« Last Edit: 08 March 2011, 12:34 by rockmonkey69 »

Offline ashie_b1986

• GTI forum regular
  • mk4 golf gti 1.8 turbo AUM 2001
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2011, 12:43 »
that looks sxy lol
how do you get your engine polished like that?
i take it that its not just polished with something like autosol