Author Topic: Noob in Suffolk  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Megy_CS

• Not said much yet
Noob in Suffolk
« on: 05 June 2021, 15:20 »
Hello all,

Just waiting on my new car, Mk8 Clubsport, standard spec in black.

Not new to the GTi world having previously having:

• MK3 GTi 16V, black
  • Mk5 GTi Edition 30, grey
  • Mk7 R, lapiz blue (in Abu Dhabi)
  • Mk7 GTi Clubsport (Edition 40), grey (in Abu Dhabi

Current car is a 16 plate Audi TT S Line in grey but looking forward to getting back into a GTi again.

Living in Stowmarket in Suffolk, but please don't hold that against me 🤣

Anyone any advice, hints or tips for new ownership and any recommendations for common mods and enhancements? Already looking at swapping the yucky standard VW wheels for some black Pretoria copies from CM Wheels.

Looking forward to getting active in the forum and meeting some guys if there are any local meets etc.

Pictures will follow when I get the car.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Noob in Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2021, 14:04 »
Welcome Megy!  :smiley:

Good choice of incoming car  :cool:
You’ll love it!
I have a standard one but white and also added some CM wheels 19’s (Reifnitz reps though as they’re “more GTI” and a bit different)

Mods wise there is gradually a bit more choice appearing.
An aftermarket metal footrest from a mk7 is a cheap start, plus there are add on spoilers and splitters if that’s your thing.

I had a mk7 R and Clubsport Ed40 too so a similar background.
Bet there can’t have been many Ed40’s in Abu Dhabi?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Megy_CS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2021, 23:50 »
Welcome Megy!  :smiley:

Good choice of incoming car  :cool:
You’ll love it!
I have a standard one but white and also added some CM wheels 19’s (Reifnitz reps though as they’re “more GTI” and a bit different)

Mods wise there is gradually a bit more choice appearing.
An aftermarket metal footrest from a mk7 is a cheap start, plus there are add on spoilers and splitters if that’s your thing.

I had a mk7 R and Clubsport Ed40 too so a similar background.
Bet there can’t have been many Ed40’s in Abu Dhabi?

Which of your 7's did you prefer?

I took both mine on the Yas Marina track and the CS was a lot better on track, I did for the CSS front discs which made a big difference too.

How does the 8 compare to the 7 for driveability?

The R was a very common car over there, with some crazy mods done to some, the locals especially loved to spend money on their cars, the CS sold well, but they only imported a few, I think I knew 6 or 7 others with them, one was a manual (one of 5 imported).

There were a few good driving roads over there, the best by far was a mountain called Jebel Jais, was fast becoming very popular with people even shipping cars into UAE to drive it, Mr JWW for one.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2021, 19:04 »
Do you miss Abu Dhabi? It sounds like the car scene is pretty buoyant there.

The most noticeable improvement to me between 7 and 8 is the slightly sharper and more focussed turn in. In other respects they’re very similar.

As for my personal fave mk7, it’s a hard call. The R was the best performer obviously (road use car only), but the Ed40 has a special place in my heart for a few reasons. The TCR was maybe the best blend of the two though. It’d be splitting very fine hairs to come up with an actual favourite. The Ed40 gives me the warmest feeling if I look at photos of them so I’ll go with that.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner