Author Topic: Bluefox - 1989 Mk2 GTi 8v  (Read 8370 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Bluefox - 1989 Mk2 GTi 8v
« on: 03 November 2006, 12:56 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Bluefox

• I live here
  • ...back again!
Re: Bluefox - 1989 Mk2 GTi 8v
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2006, 20:12 »
Thanks JV :)

Right, a bit of background then. Here she is - bought her just under a week ago from a very nice chap on these hallowed pages, fozzie. He's not here much, but he uses no-rice.com a fair amount. Anyway, chatted to him on here for a while, drove all the way to Surrey from Stafford, took up a whole Sunday of his weekend and came home with this little baby:

These are pics from fozzie's advert - I've not had chance to take any yet. She's a 1989 GTi 8v Digi on a G plate, 129,000 miles in Atlas gray. Unfortunately, she's not got much history except for a few reciepts here and there but she has got this little lot:

Mk3 weighted shift rod, with new gear linkage
Poly bushed front end
-40mm springs with Boge Turbo Gas shocks
14" BBS RJ's
New(er) golf ball gear knob and gaiter
16v rear badge! (adds 20bhp of course :p )

Not a lot else I can say at this stage - few bits I've probably missed out, and of course she has a few problems, which I'll go into as things go on. She was bought as a replacement for Megan, "the rug" which a couple of you have seen... that one needs a respray and with the sale of her plus a few other bits I've got lying around has more than financed this latest project: it's our third dub now, and hopefully one which we'll keep for a while.

Let the games begin! :)
Bluefox
Current: '84 Golf C 1.9 TDi | '01 Polo GTI | '01 Audi A2 TDi | '83 MG Metro
Previous: '83 GX | '04 R32 | '93 VR6 | '86 GTi 8v | '88 Diesel | '92 G60 | '04 Skoda Superb TDi | '90 GTi 8v | Plus many more!

Project Thread - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=270683.0

Offline Bluefox

• I live here
  • ...back again!
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2006, 00:24 »
Right, an update.
Nothing major to report, just some niggling problems and simple fixes. Fitted battery off old car s it's got a 4yr warranty. Discovered that I like working on Golfs for this reason:

Somewhere to put your tea!

Somewhat needed oil change, 10w40 Synta Silver and genuine filter (many thanks for Paul @ Inchcape VW, Telford - very helpful :) )

Finally, uprated wiring loom. Which seems to have just upgraded the dipped beam - to a retina-burning level, true, but still no main beam upgrades. So impressed with the improvement thinking of making a loom for the main beam in the same fashion. Alternatively I'll just buy a new loom that does dipped/main/spots.

Other than that, had a bit of a ISV cleany moment in a jar of diesel, which has helped slightly: and I've fitted a new pair of fog lamps as the passenger side one had burned out. Also, a bit of a dilemma with wheel choice...

...decided on 14" BBS RJ's, just need to find a centre cap now! (Incidentially, set of 15" BBS RZ with <1000 mile Toyo Proxes T1-S for sale, PM me for details!)

That's all for now, here's a list of stuff that's coming soon in no particular order:

Fitting of mint rainbow interior (thanks to Dubwheels)
Another headlamp loom
Ignition service
Coolant change
Alloy referb & new tyres
Bonnet respray/replacement
Transfer of powerflow exhaust from other Golf
Cambelt! Must do that soon! Argh!
Grille change

That's all her ladyship requires at the moment, so we'll see what else she fancies... although she is looking into custom code remaps, watch this space...

:)

Jon/Donna
Bluefox
Previous: '83 GX | '04 R32 | '93 VR6 | '86 GTi 8v | '88 Diesel | '92 G60 | '04 Skoda Superb TDi | '90 GTi 8v | Plus many more!

Offline Bluefox

• I live here
  • ...back again!
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2007, 00:37 »
It's been that long already! A long overdue update, me thinks.

It seems as though we've done a fair bit since our last post. Notably, they include:

* Another uprated headlamp loom as the last one blew up the relay when I drive through a flood
* Powerflow exhaust fitted from Megan, our other GTi
* 16v rear lights
* Changed interior for rainbow
* Fitted Alpine head unit from my car

I'm writing this on a tuesday, and I've had this week off to do some work on our little GTi, she's been a bit neglected of late. That said, a visually challenged gentleman in a Citroen Picasso decided to drive into the rear nearside of me while I was driving my mum back from B&Q the other weekend, which to be honest has prompted this recent spate of work.

Upon removing the rear wheel arch trim to inspect the damage, I was greeted with this:

Oh dear. Queue a week of somewhat rampant Waxoyl-ing.

It is at this point, dear readers, that we join the fray. A couple of trips to Halfords were needed, not only because I don't spend enough time there as it is, but more because my dear old dad's axle stands were actually six feet too tall.  This is a lie, but there were about 17", so a set of shorter 'stands and she's up on "all fours" with her wheels off.

Then the work begins. A bit of rust removal, and a damn good dose of Kurust kicked things off:

...and, while this was going on, I thought I'd partake in some of the goodies I'd been buying up on the cheap from various people on this site, scrapyards and Voodoo Motorsport.

New grille and headlamps...

...out with the old...

...and in with the new.

Lookee at the new bonnet! It reflects stuff now, instead of that pants matte grey effect! Many thanks to Ele & Chris at Voodoo.

Also fitted clear side repeaters and clear front indicators which aren't really shown on these pictures, wait till the next update!

Anyway, today's other issues generally revolved around the rust on that wheelarch, along with some damn good cleaning:

In the end I figured that the damage would be covered by the plastic wheel arch extension, so I've repaired as best I can with chemical metal so I've got something solid to screw into when refitting the trim.

That's it for now. Tomorrow will be spent hunting the scrap yards for platic wheelarch trim, rear n/s door and front o/s door to repair that accident damage and some rust. Plus any other goodies I can find...

JB.
Bluefox

Offline Bluefox

• I live here
  • ...back again!
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2007, 14:25 »
Well then. Things were going swimmingly, until the next day...

Spent the next day with Slick#13 searching the local scrap yards, only to find that none of the Audi's had the bits for his car and all the mk2's were small bumper or 3 door models with unsitable plastic trim and doors. Damn.

Still, not all was lost... erm... except this happened:

Which lasted for about four days. During which time, understandably, I didn't do much work on the golf. I had more important things to do like building snowmen.

All was not lost however, and work resumed this week as soon as the weather cleared up. So, the Waxoyl was duely applied in copious amounts and Hammerite was used everywhere else.

My thoughts were that all this damage was covered by the plastic trim, so I've made good and stopped things from rusting any further. I've check the other side and there's no sign of rust on that side, and some more Waxoyl was applied to keep it that way.

Sorry about the poor photos, I'd left my camera at the inlaws and was using Donna's. Which I have no idea how to use.

Anyway, plastic trim refitted - many thanks to Frasier on here - and along with a new set of shoes:

...she was back on the road. Upon reading it on here, I thought I'd have a go with some of this shoe polish stuff for the plastic trim:

As you can see, it's made a hell of a difference so I did the whole car with it. To be honest, I don't know why I haven't been using this for years. Needless to say, thanks to whoever it was who suggested it, and it's now a part of my cleaning kit. Yes, I'm aware it's on the bodywork - but trust me, it's a hell of a lot easier to get that off paintwork than it is to get polish off plastic trim!!

Anyway, here's the end result:

So, that's the outside done for now. All that remains to do is:

* replace nearside rear door
* replace offside front door
* get correctly sized aerial grommet for front wing
* repair/replace tailgate

Which, to be honest, are fairly low on my list of priorities not least of all because of cost, and no-one seems to be breaking '90-on, 5 door altas grey gti's!

In terms of what's left on the project generally, in a sort of order:

* rear door cards, refit/replace
* stop headlining from coming off!
* clean seats and carpet
* replace the Pioneer cage that's currently holding an Alpine
* repair said Alpine's wiring loom
* speaker upgrades
* cambelt
* major service - full ign, oil, coolant, gearbox oil etc
* tune up

That's about it for her for now, my pocket money seems to have run out. It's currently tipping it down as I'm writing this, but as soon as I get another break in the weather she'll be getting a full clean, polish and wax on the outside, and I'll be off somewhere to take some "nice" photographs.

JB
Bluefox

Offline Bluefox

• I live here
  • ...back again!
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2007, 23:43 »
Just a quick update...

Fitted new door cards accordingly, so now the interior's sorted. Also, as I write this, the seats are sat drying in the kitchen after I've given them a damn good going over with some Autoglym Interior Shampoo. Other than that it's just new car mats, a machine polish and a working stereo.

Pics to follow...
Bluefox

Offline Bluefox

• I live here
  • ...back again!
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2007, 00:12 »
...another quick update...

MOT TIME!

Due 27th, so she'll be in this week to find out what the damage is. Currently she's sat with a full tank of v-power and a bottle of Slick 50 fuel system cleaner, and after a 40-mile burn (which returned an impressive 42mpg) she's feeling a little better.

Still, according to another mk2's owner I had a little chase with, she's popping flames on the overrun... hmm... not looking forward to test day :(
Bluefox

Offline Bluefox

• I live here
  • ...back again!
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2007, 11:51 »
OH YES!

It's passed, with just advisories on a (repaired) chip in the windscreen, damage to n/s/f road wheel, and o/s/f and o/s/r brake pipes slightly corroded... :)

Just a swift £200 at the end of the month for 12 months tax, and away we go!

Watch this space for more updates soon...
Bluefox

Offline Bluefox

• I live here
  • ...back again!
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2008, 17:00 »
Sold yesterday.

Bye bye Golf GTI :(
Bluefox