Author Topic: richie2480 - Mk2 GTi 16v  (Read 14930 times)

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk2 GTi 16v Engine overhaul
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2012, 00:31 »
Jesus Rich, 164k is naff all.  You've probably driven Rovers over the years with more miles........

.......probably on their 5th engine though. :wink:

Is this from the chaps from JTECH doing this?

Hello mate, How you doing. Yeh I know, but hey, 24 years in the Army, money burning a hole in my pocket!! As I mentioned in write-up the head gasket was on its way out anyway. I was thinking about just doing cylinder head but then I thought might as well go the whole hog and get engine overhauled as well. Got my red/gold centre caps through for the RS's today as well. Am going to fit them tomorrow to see how they look. Gold rim bolts next I think. That's if I can get garage door open in the snow. RS's aren't on car yet still hibernating in garage. No, it's not JTech. Won't give a name yet till I have car back.
Don't  know what's happened with text. It's shrunk :angry:
« Last Edit: 10 February 2012, 10:11 by Lewy »

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2012, 12:16 »
Thanks whoever fixed my reply

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2012, 23:20 »
Thanks whoever fixed my reply

You can take the bloke out of the Army, but...........

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2012, 00:53 »
Yep, so true I'm afraid to say.

Offline manners

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2012, 13:40 »
Out of interest, I know dont want to tell all, but could we have a ball park figure on the cost.

Im looking round for someone to give my engine in my 16V a good seeing to......as its going no where at the minute been a non starter!

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2012, 17:11 »
I am paying over 2k. I am happy with that. I am not mechanically minded enough to take out and overhaul an engine so I would rather have someone that knows what they are doing do the job and pay for that. Work comes with a warranty and rolling road test. As I mentioned before I am only an hour away if anything goes wrong.  I have seen the work he has done and the work he is doing so am happy to pay. There was another Mk2 in, and a Lotus Elan waiting. I was in contact with TSR and they were quoting £3000+ for a Cadwell 16v fitted. I'm lucky, I have spare cash to spend. The car is pretty much perfect. The only thing left to do was sort the engine. Yes I know 164000 miles isn't high mileage but head gasket was on it's way out anyway. I could have just had the head tuned and do the bottom end at a later date, but that would mean having to pay to have engine removed again so I thought get it all done at once. I plan on visiting when engine is being re-built and I will ask Rob to do a write up of the work he's done. That will be something else to put in my huge folder of paperwork for the car.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2012, 17:32 by richie2480 »

Offline rob.043

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 12 February 2012, 19:21 »
Good to see someone investing in keeping an original lump in a golf.

glove

« Reply #17 on: 12 February 2012, 20:46 »
« Last Edit: 22 April 2012, 00:48 by glove »

Offline smiffy555

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2012, 21:14 »
Brilliant!!

As a previous poster said, "its great to see an original lump being fitted"....I totally agree.

The more a MK2 is kept original the better i my book!

Great write up....I for one will be interested in seeing the finished article back in the car and the rolling road figures.

Are you investing in any new fueling items?
VW Golf R mk7.
VW Golf GTi 16v mk2

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 12 February 2012, 23:55 »
I wanted to keep the original lump as I knew there was nothing wrong with it, just getting a bit high on mileage. Tim, who owned the car before me looked after her well so I am maintaining that. No plans to change anything else really. The car is standard apart from a G60 interior, which technically is still Golf. I have original RA's but have got myself a set of RS's for nice weather. Just got myself some red/gold centre caps for the RS's. Not yet fitted as RS's are hibernating in garage. Both are 15" so I don't have to keep winding coilovers up and down when I change wheels. In fact if you haven't seen them before here are some pics.

With RA's

With RS's

RS's

G60 Interior (I now have G60 leather steering wheel fitted)

Engine Bay