Author Topic: Ben's Black Mk2 2.0 16v Project  (Read 66539 times)

Judderi

Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn Roof! RUSTED!
« Reply #20 on: 15 March 2005, 11:09 »
15/03/05

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes im stressed! Here is my reasons.

1. I need a new boot lid as there is rust. Its not rusted beyond repair but i would much rather it be new if the car is gonna be in mint condition. Behind the number plate is rusted right through which could be cut out and welded but the main issue is the runst round the window seal. It could be repaired but you run the risk of it coming back and bubbling in 6 months time. So id much rather get a new tailgate. Have a look for yourselfs

Inside the boot lid looking at the number plate hole. Rusted!

2. And this is a big number 2 that wont flush! The rear wheels will not fit! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH. How gutted am i. I will explain why best i can and will draw a little picture. Because they are wider than the fronts they are closer to the suspension strut. Normally this would not be a problem as the strut is skinny at the bottom then wide at the top above the wheel with the spring.

But because i have coil overs my spring runs the full length of the strut and the spring is touching the tyre. The fronts fit on the rear no problem as they are not as wide.

So if anybody out there would like to do me a swap on my deep dish wide rears for the standard smaller fronts i would be very gratefull. Failing that i will buy a set of these if anybody has any for sale.

This is turning out to be a very expensive project!
« Last Edit: 05 August 2005, 12:32 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

Things are looking up slightly
« Reply #21 on: 18 March 2005, 09:00 »
18/03/05

Well things may be looking up. After ringing around and doing some investigations i managed to get in touch with a very nice guy who has been dealing with porsche wheels and golfs for a long time. It turns out that i bought the wrong adaptors. Well you learn from your mistakes. I bought a set from VW Speed as they were the cheapest i could find at ?150. But like the saying goes "you get what you pay for" They were made of steel and very very heavy. Apparently this is not good as your likely to knacker your wheel bearings even maybee your drive shafts due to the extra weight and force applied by heavy adaptops. Plus there susceptable to cross threading which is not good if your wheel flies off going down the A1.  :shocked: So anyway this nice guy called Neil 02920795207 or 07861207710 offered to do me a discount on a set of 20mm adaptors for the front and 30mm for the rear, both being light weight with hexicoil fittings - which doesent mean allot to me but it sounds good! Plus when i rang VW Speed they agreed to do me a refund upon return of the items. Bloody nice Blokes!

Also i have managed to source a good quality second hand tailgate for ?35 in Darlo which isnt too far from me. So im off there in my little van tonight to pick it up.

I also called into the bodyshop last night. The only difference i could spot was that the tailgate had been removed as had the final trim down one side and the rear pannel has had the rust removed and sorted.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2006, 12:38 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

Re: Ben's Mk2 Project - Currently in bodyshop.
« Reply #22 on: 21 March 2005, 13:51 »

21/03/05

Well i got the tailgate on friday night. Total bonus was it was black and in very good condition!

But thats all i gotta say for now. Just trying to get my hub adaptors sent back and will pop in the bodyshop tonight for some more pics.

Judderi

« Reply #23 on: 31 March 2005, 12:54 »

31/03/05

I havent posted for a while, and no (mix) its not cos ive left my lights on again and cannot get to the bodyshop! I am getting a bit sick though! I totaly miss my golf! I feel like im perstering the bodyshop and so dont want to be one of those guys that people say "oh no hes back" about when they see you coming. But they do need a boot up their arse! At the moment they a holding things back till the new adaptors for the wheels arrive so that they can do any needed arch work. They should have been delivered this morning but surprise surprise they havent! Also now that i forked out £22 to send the old adaptors back to VW Speed they are telling me that they wont do a refund because they had been test fitted! And the guy i need to fight it out with never returns my calls as hes busy working out the tax for the business. So in my opinion stay well clear of www.VWSpeed.co.uk if anybody knows what my customer rights on returned items is i would be gratefull if you coud PM me. Plus on top of all this im due to move house in a couple of weeks and need to find £1250 for a deposit. Does anybody know where i can sell kidneys and lungs maybee even a bollock?

Judderi

« Reply #24 on: 05 April 2005, 13:46 »

05/04/04

Well after many emails back and forwards to VWSPEED they point blank refuse to give any refund, even on the two un-opened adaptors. Here is a copy of the email conversation. Make what you like of it, im sure you will come to the same conclusion as me.

Reg: Returned Items

I bought online from your web site as advertised the adaptors needed to fit Porsche 5 stud wheels to a 4 stud mk2 VW golf. However upon test fitting two out of 4 of the adaptors I discovered that the said items were not suitable for the job as they did not provide enough clearance from the suspension strut.
Following a telephone conversation it was agreed that if the items were sent back a full refund would be given. However after not hearing anything from yourself I phoned only to find that you had now changed you mind and were no longer willing to give a refund as 2 of the adaptors had been test fitted.
After receiving legal advice I now know that this is breaking the law under the sale of goods act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 as the items did not suit the purpose for which they were advertised, i.e. they did not allow me to fit Porsche wheels to my MK2 VW Golf.
Therefore I expect a full refund not less postage, including my costs incurred for postage return amounting to £22 (receipt available if needed). If no response or refund is given within 7 days then further legal action will be taken.

In response to your recent email. The Porsche adapters you purchased on the 14th February are the exact items required to fit Porsche wheels to a Mk2 Golf. We have sold numerous sets for this exact purpose. May I ask what dimensions and offset the wheels are you're attempting to fit to your car?

Mike VW Speed

The wheels are desigh 90's ET52 6" and 8" rears.

May I also ask what suspension you have fitted to your car?

KONI coil overs.

When you say enough clearance from the strut, what do you mean by this? Were they catching?

Yes the wheel was touching the suspension.

cont...

Judderi

« Reply #25 on: 05 April 2005, 13:50 »
Did you fit them to one axle or one side of the car and which ones were catching?

two adaptors were fitted to the left side of the car. and the rears were catching.

The widest standard wheels that were put on the Mk2 Golf were 6.5" wide. The wheels you are attempting to fit to your car are 1.5" wider than this at 8 inches and the fact you've also got coilovers really won't be helping the situation either as they are specifically designed to dramatically lower a car. The legal point you are highlighting doesn't apply in light of your application of the items sold as they do allow you to fit Porsche wheels to a Mk2 Golf. Secondly, you notified us after 30 days from the sale of the items and they are not in an as new saleable state and can no longer be sold as such. It would be like taking an item of clothes back to a shop 5 weeks after buying it with a stain on it and asking for a full refund.

I disagree as the advert was not detailed enough. It did not specify that the adaptors would only be suitable for certain sizes and suspension setups. I suspect that this is the reason why you have removed the advert from your web site. To sugest that the items would not fit a modified car is ridiculas as the items themselves are intended to modify a car from standard specification. Thus the items did not meet the criteria as they were advertised to. Also products are legaly allowed to be returned up to 6 years after the purchase date. Also you are refusing a refund when one of the boxes was not even opened.

The reason they are no longer on the website is because we had one set left which you bought and the stock control system in the admin section of the site removes items from sale if we have no stock available. I would be very interested to check out websites selling Porsche adapters and see if they specify wheel sizes, ride heights and specified suspension kits to enable you to fit the adapters. I very much doubt anyone advertises what they will and won't fit with regards to individual set ups. This is just not logistically possible as you'd have to test all manor of suspension set ups on numerous vehicles. I agree one of the boxes may well not have been opened, although I haven't seen them yet, our issue is the fact that the other box has not only been opened but has been fitted to a vehicle and shows very clear signs of this fact and can no longer be sold as new. The items have been returned to us in a non resalable condition.

So what is your final answer? Are you prepared to give any refund or are you going to ask for more of my money to return the items to me?
As a long time VW enthusiast and member of the largest VW club & forum plus many others i am very disapointed and angry at the level of service plus waste of time and money i have encountered with VW Speed. I have never come across such problems with any other company and certainly could not recomend your company to anybody.

We will gladly return the items to you at our own expense. As long term enthusiasts ourselves, our aim has always been to ensure we provide good quality goods at competitive prices and with high levels of service. I can appreciate your frustration but please do also see our side of things. We can't sell on the items you've returned as they are no longer in an as new and unused state. You must appreciate that second hand goods fetch second hand prices.

So are you not willing to refund me on the unopened box?

We sold you the last set we had and don't currently have access to further sets. They won't sell us single boxes as they refuse to break up complete sets, I'm afraid that's their rule not ours.

Again i am astounded by your lack of customer satisfaction. Send the items back to me and this whole matter will be dealt with by other means.

when we return the items to you, we would see the matter as closed.

Mike
VW Speed

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: 05 April 2005, 13:56 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

« Reply #26 on: 05 April 2005, 14:12 »
Check out my life! Could it be any worse? Shops wont give me refunds, i have no golf as the bodyshop are slower than drying paint and now im driving this! And belive me the scenery does not blur as you drive!

Im a man on the edge!  :angry:
« Last Edit: 14 June 2006, 12:35 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

« Reply #27 on: 07 April 2005, 08:48 »
07/04/05

Things are starting to move a little. These arrived, which was nice! They are 10x better quality that the rubbish VWSPEED are selling. About 1 10th the weight and better fitting. Big up to Neil who sold me them at a reasonable price and was very very helpfull and knew what he was talking about. Not like VWSPEED! PM me if you need Neils number.

Also the bodywork has moved on a little too. One side of the car has had the rub strip holes welded and smoothed, and all the prep work has been done to remove little dents etc.

The boot lid has also been prepped ready for spraying.

The wings are also back off the car being sprayed

Hopefully today they are test fitting the wheels with the new adaptors so that any archwork can be planned. They also plan to prep the other side of the car.

TBC..........

« Last Edit: 05 August 2005, 12:39 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

« Reply #28 on: 07 April 2005, 09:21 »
Also is anyone interested in these beautys!

Make me an offer over £150 and there yours plus £20 p&p
« Last Edit: 14 June 2006, 12:38 by Mk2GTI2.016v »

Judderi

« Reply #29 on: 08 April 2005, 10:08 »
08/04/05

A little more has been done. Just a bit more smoothing and primer for a perfect finish.

Also the tyres are on the wheels, they are 45's which is bigger than i wanted really but nevermind. The wheels are a little mucky and dusty now - all that hard work i put in!  :cry:

« Last Edit: 17 May 2005, 13:04 by Mk2GTI2.016v »