Author Topic: just bought Mk2 GTI 8v - ongoing project with pics  (Read 5556 times)

Offline Alec

• I live here
Re: just bought Mk2 GTI 8v - ongoing project with pics
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2010, 23:34 »
Oh yes and she's going to stay original too, definately need to look into the wheels though, sussed the front badge is from a mk1 GTI so i can sort that but you got me on the wheels, time for a google search, all the ones i keep seeing seem to have the same wheels though :)

Yeah the grille badge looks like it is from a mk1 but I don't think it looks out of place. Your wheels do look very similar to the BBS RA which should of come with the golf although the spokes are a bit different I think. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is now bothering you after reading this  :laugh:

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2010, 23:37 »
I was going to send them off to get re-furbed but not sure if there the wrong ones, what size were the originals 15" ?

Anyone got any RA's they dont want :)

Making up for lost time

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2010, 23:51 »
Nice bargain!   :cool:

Yeah replacing the vauxhall wheels shouldnt be hard, if you're after BBS RA's they come up quite often.  you might get a few quid for your wheels on the right site??? 

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2010, 23:57 »
Just had a look at the wheels and your spot on, they've got GM stamped on them, dislike Vauxhalls at the best of times so they get off my dub.

Thanks for saving me the cost of getting the wrong wheels redone lol, it'll give me some time to sort a nice set though.

Making up for lost time

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2010, 01:10 »
Just had a look at the wheels and your spot on, they've got GM stamped on them, dislike Vauxhalls at the best of times so they get off my dub.

Thanks for saving me the cost of getting the wrong wheels redone lol, it'll give me some time to sort a nice set though.
FTW

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2010, 19:43 »
RA's with 195 50 profile tyre would look spot onat that height.
I dont think thats a mk1 badge. More like a very early mk2 gti one. The mk1 badge doesnt clip into the mk2 grille. Thats what I found anyway :rolleyes:

Come to the shows. Ive bagged RA's at bargain prices  :smiley:
:)

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 22 August 2010, 22:18 »
Tidy that  :cool:

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2010, 14:35 »
Hi,

The rest of the ongoing work to my Golf is in the Dub Projects section but i wanted some advice and opinions on the following.

I've repainted the rear panel to remove some corrosion and give the car a general tidy up.

The rear "Golf GTI" was looking pretty crap and after phoning around can't seem to get a new one so rather than it looking tarnished i've sanded off the remaining "chrom, used sparingly" and given it a black finish.

The question is does the rear VW badge look odd being shiney chrome or should i paint it black to match?

I've already painted the front badge black.

Thanks in advance
Jeremy.

I will in time and when i can source them get original OE chrome but for now i'm trying to make it look as tidy as possible.

Making up for lost time

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #18 on: 03 November 2010, 14:47 »
Looks fine but then if it bothers you, get a spare rear thats not so shiney and to it to match the rest... all black badges on a white GTI seems good to me?

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
« Reply #19 on: 03 November 2010, 16:30 »
my opinion mate, as you wanted it :D ;), is chrome on white... not nice, just think there is no contrast, yes i know im anal!!
i would go for a satin black for them so they are similar in contrast to the bumper blacks, which would compliment them nicely as you bought the big bumper version!
but its looking fapping awesome i must say, alpine white mk2s are the sexiest ones :D
some deep dish alloys, with white centres and wide would set it off too, but thats just me schemeing on somebody elses car :D

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!