Author Topic: DAVEMARX - ''bargain basher''  (Read 3967 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
DAVEMARX - ''bargain basher''
« on: 08 January 2009, 13:27 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline DAVEMARX

• Here all the time
Re: DAVEMARX - ''bargain basher''
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2009, 18:34 »
INTRODUCTION

Right this is it then my first forum project and hopefully the first of many....

So on with the show, 1st of all im davemarx my freinds call me 'um' dave, Or if your 1 of a few on here im also known as tosser,arsewhole,twit and pretty much every other obscene word under the sun......... :grin:

The car..... 91 mk2 gti 8 valve. not sure if its a he or a she yet coz i hav'nt looked...but what i do know is how much im spending on it.
Not only am i going cheap but im also going standard...

Apart from suspention and wheels plus a few lights, everything else is either getting replaced with new original or similer parts. This will not be a mods feast, its gonna be more of a showcase to show what you get for budget a of £2000 and some hard graft ,quick learning and  time.

With money short and jobs getting scarse 'im a self em/roofer' i have'nt got hugh money to splash here so what i need right now is a reliable car, Not just any old car its a mk2 gti or nothing.
As any classic vw owner will tell you, you dont just buy a cheap car and everthing will be hunky dorey coz it wont. So with the right motor to get me started, im gonne start with the interia and work on the exteria when i cant get on with 1 or the other leaving the engine til last and just fix it as i go if anything goes wrong....'or i brake'..... :wink:

PART 1......         
                            The car and what ive done so far.

Offline DAVEMARX

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2009, 13:31 »

Offline DAVEMARX

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2009, 13:32 »

Offline DAVEMARX

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2009, 13:38 »

Offline DAVEMARX

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2009, 16:27 »
sorry about the double pics but im new to the photo bucket and didnt know how to resize the photos..

Any how this is the base car payed 600 plus 100 tax came with 12months mot 177566 miles lowered what i think is at least 60mm or maybe 80mm i dunno but its low, to low for speed bumps thats for sure. the paints okay all ive done is buff it and spray on some back to black which actually worked a treat and made the car look like it is now with very little work. Apart from the silly price tag im very happy with what i got it wasnt a case of what it was worth but what i was willing to pay for it and at the time it was the only black 3door i could i find......

bad points it came with.......
rusty whole in passenger door, dent in rear bumper, no rear badge or gti badge,roof lining is fooked, fuel pump was whinning like a b!tch and it did'nt have wheels theres a whole load of small dents and srcathes all over it but not bad..pics soon....

Ive taken quite a few bits of my old car so im adding them to the project list and also what i payed for them....all second hand from ebay or scrappy......

wheels.....£120  until i get some ra's....
clear head lights and smoked side/bumper indicaters.....£20
back box.....not fitted yet........£20
polo steering wheel....£20
audioscape door speaker surrounds.......£30
leather gear/handbrake gaiters,tape holder,door handle,badges....£20
knock sencer,rocker cover and gasket,weighted gear shift,battery cover...£30

total so far.......£950

still to do.... outside....pass door,rear bumper, ra's and dent removal....

inside....roof lining,door cards and clean the carpet.....seats etc are fine no rips....

engine.....recon original engine plus new everything ,starter motor.alternater,pipes,recon pumps,bushes, the whole lot needs replacing.....pics coming soon its a right mess.....
im also replacing the suspention,brakes,wishbones,drive shafts, and painting the rear axle.
So hopefully by the time im finished and hopefully on budget minus a new paint job i should end up with a golf like new...
Im not after a high performance car here just a mint as i can get it mk2 with enought life in it to do another 180000 miles plus done right and on budget i should see a return on it at the other end when and if i ever sale it.....
for now thats your lot i'll get some pics of the bad bits and engine up soon.......to be continued...........................................................

Offline DAVEMARX

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2009, 23:13 »

Offline DAVEMARX

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2009, 10:03 »
ive got engine problems.....aaahhhh

Things are a stand still with the car right now i had hoped to go and get a roof lining id found at a scrappy. With the money in my pocket i went out to start up the car and go and get the roof lining 'i didnt make it'..
On the way there the power steering belt decided to take a holiday and is awol 'abscent without leave' dont know where it went all i know is my steering is like driving driving a car with flat tyres.
Id noticed that when i was checking the engine out that id forgot to add antifreeze so as a result all my coolant hoses are frozen solid and the main metal pipe has burst.

So until the new pipe gets here ive botched it up by useing an angle grinder to cut the cracked peice out and ive used some rubber hose to reconnect it which has worked so far......fingers crossed.

As for the belt i spent all day yesturday trying to get the chuffin thing on and so far have broken 2 bolts. Now ive gotta take some parts of a converstion id bought for my last mk2 in the hope i can get it sorted today.
Once thats done i'll top up with antifreeze in the hope it will be sorted.
 belt.....£3
anti freeze.....£8
metal pipe........£23...............toal so far £984

Offline DAVEMARX

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2009, 17:19 »
lost my job the car is up for offers in the 'for sale section'

Offline DAVEMARX

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2009, 12:22 »
right im back again heres an up date......

with things gone tits up with work not alot is happening right now. Not only that but im proper pissed of with the car.  For some reason what ever i do to make this thing right again, some thing else happens so for now ive lost interest.
Its just sat there with a saggy bumper looking proper depressed and feeling sorry for its self. I cound'nt get the belt back on for some reason i just cant seem to work it out. What ever i loosen to try and get some slack nothing happens.
Ive broken 1 end of the bolt that hinges with braket and cant get the other 1 loose so it seems the whole pump is seized on and not going anywhere.
Its driving me mental. You should see my hand if i had a camera id post a photo. While undoing a bolt my hand slipped and smashed against the radiater housing cauisng a gash on my wrist and a bruise the size of a golf ball.
So i got proper pissed of chucked a hammer at it slammed the bonnet down went inside a sulked about why i should'nt have done that and it been there ever since ive even tryed to selling it i was that angrey.

A couple of monkeys came and veiwed it but offered me peanuts so im gonna hold on to it for a little longer in the hope i might get that loving feeling back again and actually do something.

Any loving feeling soon went yesturday when i went out so get something from the glove box, put my hand in and it was full of water.....fu*k it.....so was the drivers foot well to. I cant believe it, i just cant believe it, why is being such a prick.

anyhow with an injury, bad blood between us, no job and the missus doin my head in i dont know when or if the car will be any where near finished any time soon or indeed at all..so im just gonna say this....

to be continued.................................................................