Author Topic: benrevs - "not really a ride more of a shell"  (Read 6317 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
benrevs - "not really a ride more of a shell"
« on: 06 January 2009, 18:40 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
Re: benrevs - "not really a ride more of a shell"
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2009, 20:31 »
Ta very much!  Will start by copying the whole lot over!!

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2009, 20:37 »
Right, firstly I will shed a little light on the history behind it..

I used to work as a body builder/painter and my boss informed me of a golf for sale with a solid engine and in need of a few bits for its mot.  I assumed that it was a banged out mk3 or similar.  The guy was asking 200 for it, and i only had 150 so left it at that.  Next thing I know is my boss got him down tho 150 and bought it for himself... then paid me to re-spray it with him!!.  He then lent me the car for a month and put it up for sale.. problem is I had to have it so I bought it off him for 1000 squid, thievin swine.  Oh whilst borrowing it I destroyed the diff so 500 pounds later he fitted a brand new box from VW so aint all bad!

Anyway it started off reasonably standard apart from the 2.0l, a k+n and a single wiper conversion.

When I got it...

I bought another golf to rob a few bits from. It was a shame it was rotten as it was an A reg but hey, had to go. I had the rear lights off it, the steering column and the wheels which were old mim 1000's i believe?!

The BBS were square and kurbed beyond repair so they had to go, these made way for some old mim 1000's i believe?! The springs and shocks on the other golf were completely shot... as were the ones on mine.  On a visit to the scrappy for an ashtray I came across a mk3 with coilies fitted, I asked the bloke how much he wanted,  "60 quid should do it". :shocked:  Nice cheap fk highsports for me then!
 Apart from that I coloured the mirrors and handle inserts,

By then it looked something like this

I went a bit nuts and replaced loads of parts, these included:
New driveshafts,new starter, new alternator, new battery, new bushings all round, new steering wheel and wheel bearings.
The bushes on the rear beam are the worst thing ive ever had to change! While the beam was out I thought it deserved some paintage and the arches a jetwash.

Oh forgot I took a trip to longlife in bristol and splashed out 350 for a full sport system, sounds just lovely.

By this time age had the better of the head and the lifters were seized solid so one day at 1 in the morning my mate came round after work for a beer, and we ended up stripping the head off... so random as he came round to sort out when would be best for us to do it!  Anyway I sourced a ported and polished head off someone on here, and fitted it the next morning. Handy I had all the parts for it in my garage!

Heres the new head after a lick of paint

and its new home..

Since then not a lot has changed apart from buying some 13's for days when I know im going nowhere near speedbumps!

I bought another set of bumpers, skirts and arches to experiment with. Have them all filled, primed ready for paint and have smoothed over the indicator holes.

These should be painted by the end of the month, not sure how they will look though :undecided:

I bought some crystal lights and fitted a strange grille... and took it off 10 minutes later!

As from the end of the month my car will be in the workshop and will be heading down the vr6 route... why do I always choose to do these things near christmas?!!

Not much been happening really, just getting some bits together.  Have spent more time on my run- around, been nicking bits of the other such as the rad and starter!  Turns out the shed has a mint black headlining wich is good as mine sags loads and has a really solid engine... the oil is crystal clear and hasnt had a change for 6 months!  Will nick all that when the MOT runs out in june.

Anyways i started stripping the front as my engine may well have been sold. Havnt got too far but will have a whole day on it tomorrow, will be doing the brake lines and having a general tidy-up of the bay.  Will have new paint and maybe some smoothing soon.

Da front:

Big bro's little bro... which is a damn site higher!!

Small update... things havnt quite gone to plan due to the old friend money but have done a few things.

The current state of affairs atfer todays butchering:

The engine ready to go to a good home:

I was a bit shocked at the fact my inlet ports are still shiney!

Ive spent most of the last 2 days fixing my friends scirocco.. which was great fun  :sad:

Anyway tomorrow I will be cleaning the bay out and sorting the odd bits of rust in there and will hopefully have it painted by the end of the week, in orange. (will explain when the time comes!)
More soon..

Ive been doing everything that doesnt cost at the moment!  I stripped the rest of the bay and started cleaning it up, I get my grinder back 2moz so will get started on the rust then.  The condition of it isnt actually too bad just bits here and there. Need a nice cash injection now to get the ball rolling!!

Finally kicked my dads car out the garage so could really get stuck in.  I sorted some of the wiring and planned where its all going to go.  I got one half of the bay coated in polyester spray filler and tomorrow I shall be doing the other side... will need a quick rub- down, a coat of primer then its paint ahoy!!  Here it is so far, sorry was too bust to take too many pics! lol

Right then, I have mostly been sorting out the wiring at the fusebox etc and popped up the scrappy today and ripped the chunky live cable out of a beemer... its HUGE!!  I also nabbed the washer bottle that supplied the light jets as its tiny! The original was far to big for the boot and I dont mind filling it every 2 days!! Its looking like I have to run the cable under the carpets as I dont want it under the car, so may have a floor lump!   Still waiting for the weekend to get painting and as a birthday treat I am going to spend all day on it 2moz... dont I treat myself well!!! I pushed her out onto the drive so I can get in and out of it and get the seats out etc...

OOOO yea I also nicked this little gem off the beemer, tis a remote battery terminal which I trial fitted in the bay, such a nifty device!

Was £15 bucks for the bottle, terminal, and power cable... bargain I say!
Should be a mighty update 2moz... fingers and toes crossed!!

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2009, 20:41 »
Not done a lot as I still havnt got the important bit!  But some good news, a guy I used to work with has a fairly large unit on the go for the next few months so I can get all the bits painted I need.  I still have my second set of bumpers, arches and skirts which are all prepped for paint so can get them done. 
Its got me thinking now though about the car and whether I want to go for a different colour.  Im thinking... a brighter white, a dark grey or bright orange!!  My inspiration:

In theory it will take bugger all time to prep as it hasnt long been painted, and means I can get rid of a couple of dings here and there.  :undecided:

Got the go ahead to start prepping the car today.  All I got time to do was remove the sunroof, window rubbers, roof rubbers and the fuel cap etc.  Went ding hunting with my trusty permanent marker, wasnt as bad as I thought. All the ones on the left are where a ladder fell of the wall yesterday. :angry:

Have no pics worth putting up as I have just been keying the car etc..  But after hours of research I have found my colour... on a tractor!  Turn out its an Allis-Chalmers colour, heres the only pic of it on a vehicle:

As you can see its not far off my intended shade :rolleyes:

Will upload a fair few pics tomorrow as it wont be far off prepped.

I spent today doing a lot of the boring stuff like the door edges etc..   Any filler work that needed doing is now done.   I havnt done this for a few years and my thumb hasnt got a great deal of skin left on it!
Anyways her are the pics of whats been happening,  not really a lot tbh!  I heated up the black vinyl on the boot and peeled it off.  Oh as I had the filler out I also filled the seam lines on the rear.

Got the car towed to bristol tuesday for £30, which for a 25 mile trip is cheap as! If you need anything tranported click here: Truedelivery.co.uk.   
So the car is a shell and sat in the workshop until we have done a respray on an audi and a bay window camper.   The plan is to get the shell painted and out the way and then do all the doors, bonnet, boot etc. 

The paint came in yesterday and .... well its orange! :grin:

As you can see!

So all bieng well it should see some of that lovely stuff on it by the end of the month.

Not much been happening, just getting an audi repaired and painted really.  This thing was like a quaver, so many dents and creases, but is all looking good. Its getting paint tonight so will get some pics of it finished on monday.

I reckon this pic looks awesome... I dnt know why its come out purple!!!

Have been REALLY busy over christmas... unfortunately not on my car.  Now we have the unit up and going work coming in hasnt stopped.  I will let the pics show what we have been up to..

The audi is done and has a new set of rims and a leather interior.

This ka has the worst sills thinkable.

This scaffold truck was in for a cab re-spray.

We are getting started on this beast tomorrow.

....And now I start feeling ill! and I need a day off! :grin:

Now I have a week to find the colour im after.. I have narrowed it down to 2 shades...

They may look very similar, but if I get it too light or too dark it could look pants.
I have a whole day tomorrow so will take the screen out and the doors off etc, gunna be quite naked after that!

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2009, 19:20 »
After working on every other car but my own, I have finally got some paint on her... well bits of!  I Have the bay finished, the two wings, and the grille strip etc.  The main shell is on the cards for weds. :smiley:   And its REALLY orange!  The pics I have make it look dull and crap, I will take my good camera with me and take some good'uns.

These have been taking up all my time!  We painted the orange camper the same colour as mine will be... cuz its lush. :grin:

Dodgy or what?!!!

More soon yo.

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2009, 17:56 »
Right, I took my good camera today..  Also painted the main shell and polished back the wings i did yesterday.  Opinions please!!

An insight into the work ahead of me..

More tomorrow!!

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2009, 02:00 »
Today I ummm.... put the rear lights in, put on one sill strip and one arch, remebered the car has to work again at some point so had a fiddle with the electrics.. thats about it!  Had a break from prepping, painting and polishing. Shall conclude this on monday with the boot, some doors and maybe...just maybe one mirror as I have lost the other.  Will have to check my shed/cupboard/garage/garden/mates house and all the other places it could be. :grin:

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2009, 22:25 »
Had a good day today, it just went soooo quickly.   I have actually started putting stuff back together, this seemed so far off a week or so back!

Only problem is my daily is the donor car for the interior and all the bits I threw away when I stripped the project.  So I am currently driving around with no headlining, rear shelf supports, sound system(ie the speakers in the supports)  :grin:
My interior light is duct-taped to the roof and swings down and twits me in the head every now and again... joy!
My daily was a bonus, I was just after a run-around but got lucky on a gti for £250 with a mint interior, the furry carpet-like rear arch covers(the project had crappy foam things) and a really good headlining in black, which was good as my other one crumbled into nothing.
I only have phone pics im afraid, but hey I tried!

Cant wait to get stuck in tomorrow and get the bootlid fitted back up and on the car along with 2 doors and the petrol flap.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 26 January 2009, 22:32 by Benrevs »

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2009, 00:00 »
Its now almost midnight and I have only just got back from work!  I have mainly been getting things together and painting odd bits and pieces like the mirror I lost last week lol   I painted the door handle inserts like I did when it was white but it doesnt work with the orange so will make them black 2moz.  I had a polishing session with the bootlid and the door I fitted up.  I put the rear screen in... forgot how much of a mission it is and being on my own didnt help matters! Oh and fitted the bumper I finished weeks ago.
Again, phone pics 2day and it still looks pink in them!

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2009, 17:06 »
Has been really slow with the progress as I have been rushed off my tits doing all sorts.  Ive thrown a bit of time in and made a raintray to replace the old buggered one and found a nifty place for the p/s reservoir.  Still waiting to raise enough funds for the motor, really want to get this on the road as soon as... definitly by the summer!   Not looking forward to getting rid of the dust, theres a good 5mm on there! :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: 20 February 2009, 17:12 by Benrevs »